Rare Who Guests

Reading the post re Who guests covering all aspects of the shows history does this mean people behind the cameras as well as in front? or does it just imply to actors from the start to the present? If its the latter then may i m+ake a few suggestions?

Maureen O Brien

Jackie Lane

Mark Hardy

John Gleeson

Cy Town

Derek Deadman

Bernard Holley

Reg Whitehead

Christopher Robbie

Stuart Fell

Julian Bleach

Catherine Tate

Peter Capaldi

Christopher Eccleston

Damaris Hayman

Alec Linstead

That list is just for starters no doubt a lot of people will moan about the volume of Who guests which is fair enough but to myself and other collectors ANY chance in getting ANY of the above would be MOST welcome probably due to the fact that they are RARE MAY HAVE SOMETHING TO WITH IT.

Some good names there, like Derek Deadman, Julian Bleach and Christopher Robbie. I was considering starting a similar topic yesterday. I know some of these may not be first timers, but there are literally just a small group of people from Classic Who that I would love to meet that I still haven't been able to, and would like to suggest these for myself:

Alan Bennion

Tony Selby

Lynda Baron

Lesley Dunlop

Rex Robinson

Lynda Bellingham

Marcus Gilbert

Donald Gee

Deborah Manship

Carmen Munroe

Wendy Williams

Gilly Brown

Jane Sherwin

David Savile

Edward Peel

Howard Cooke

Keff McCulloch

Shirley Cooklin

Jasmine Breaks

Leslie Schofield

Wendy Gifford

ETA: Oh and Edward de Souza

Edited by JacknDaniel

In return a few good names there on your list. i didnt want to put too many down but yeah some very good rare guests there awesome keep em coming. Is Carmen Munroe a different person to Cathy Munroe who was in The Horns Of Nimon and ALSO played Zuckuss the bounty hunter from The Empire Strikes Back?

Yeah Carmen was Fariah in Enemy of the World. I think she did a signing within the last year due to the story's recovery, but is still a rare signer (possibly due to her living abroad I think)

I know there are various reasons as to many of the people on my list not doing events that people would give (they live abroad, they've said they'll never do events, they're too old, whatever) but that's what makes them rare, and doesn't make me want to meet them any less. I'll continue to suggest people I want to meet until the cows come home despite some people claiming they'd never do events.

Oh another one i'd love to see is Michael Ferguson, an absolutely fantastic director of such stories as Ambassadors of Death and The War Machines

Edited by JacknDaniel

I'm surprised Derek Deadman has never been to one of these shows, considering his role in Time Bandits, and various other appearances through the 80's. Carmen Munroe too, well know for her starring role in the Channel 4 sitcom "Desmond's."

The names suggested above would be perfect guests for LFCC, as many of them are well known for other roles, and most had starring roles in their respective Who stories. I'm sure everyone would prefer that to someone from new Who who was onscreen for 2 minutes. "Rare" doesn't have to mean "man with one line."

Edited by Zagreus

In return a few good names there on your list. i didnt want to put too many down but yeah some very good rare guests there awesome keep em coming. Is Carmen Munroe a different person to Cathy Munroe who was in The Horns Of Nimon and ALSO played Zuckuss the bounty hunter from The Empire Strikes Back?

Has Cathy ever done a SM event? I used to muddle her with Caroline Munroe!

Carmen's signing was this year in May, the rest of the cast signed last year.

Unlikely Rex Robinson could to do an event - he's nearly blind.

Most of the guests that the original poster asked for are not rare guests - all have done events up and down the country. Just because they have not done Showmasters events it doesn't mean they are rare.

For a start, Maureen O Brian has done numerous events over the last year...

Jackie Lane will never do an event and most of the actors mentioned who have played cybermen have been to previous events.

Edited by Avengers7

There are many people I would love to meet, most of the list I gave is from The End of Time Part One.

Brian Miller

Tom Baker

June Whitfield

Allister Bain

Barry Howard

Angharad Baxter

David Bristowe

Shirley Bristowe

Maureen St Lois

Harry Persaud

Keith Rose

Adjoa Andoh

Edited by DoctorWhoFan2015

Most of the guests that the original poster asked for are not rare guests - all have done events up and down the country. Just because they have not done Showmasters events it doesn't mean they are rare.

For a start, Maureen O Brian has done numerous events over the last year...

Jackie Lane will never do an event and most of the actors mentioned who have played cybermen have been to previous events.

I may be wrong, but i'm pretty sure Maureen hasn't done 'numerous' events over the last year. In fact I thought that out of all the many many signings and events done over the anniversary year, Maureen and Jackie were the two who didn't actually do any events. So for the OP to say they are rare isn't exactly an exaggeration. The fact is that they are the two rarest classic series companions in terms of conventions or signings. With reference to your comment about Jackie 'never will do an event' is untrue. She has done signing events that I have attended over the last 3 or 4 years, and told me that she likes to do them every so often, she may not have done any signings in a convention centre or anything bigger than a library, but it's not like she's a complete reculse who never does anything.

The OP also mentioned Julian Bleach, Catherine Tate and Christopher Eccleston. I think it's fair to say that these are rare. Either way, the OP clearly suggested these people because he personally wants them, and I agree with some of them, so it doesnt hurt to ask. Perhaps Jackie might be feeling in good mood when she's asked, maybe Maureen could be convinced and it would be the first time that she'd have done a full SM event. They're two people i'd certainly like to meet again

Maureen was at the 50th. Jackie has proven happy to do signings when there's an official product out - in her case that's only been DVDs and they are all out (for now) and even then that's mainly been with the same organiser. She was the last classic companion I had to meet, but that was manily me always being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Lalla was the tricky one - nothing for 9 years then no stopping her during the past 18 months!

To be honest LFCC might stand a better chance at getting Maureen as a writer, with the crime authors group.

Which is just my point. If this was 2 years ago and people were asking for Lalla Ward, certain people might reply saying there's no point in asking her, as she doesnt do events now. All it takes is for someone to change their mind. Jackie might one day decide to do a bigger event, it doesnt mean she should never be asked.

I had forgotten about the 50th event last year, but Maureen certainly didn't do multiple events, and is definitely rarer than most.

All in all, it really doesn't depend on who is rare or not, it depends for each and every one of us who we would personally like to see. It just annoys me when people suggest who they'd like to see and get basically shot down by people for various reasons, it isn't going to make the poster want to meet them any less, and it never hurts to suggest them.

Hear hear well done good answer my points exactly. I consider these guests i mentioned rare cos i am limited to where i can go and meet them. If they continually go to a ( to me ) remote part of the country all the time that doesn't help me does it? Lets hope we get more rare sorry guests i haven't met before added soon so i can start to budget.

• Like 1

If they continually go to a ( to me ) remote part of the country all the time that doesn't help me does it?

Except nearly all those on your list who have attended signings before HAVE all been in London or at least on the Underground. Which is about as helpful as they can be - apart from all being on the same weekend.

Axon reunion could be fun though. Not done before.

Edited by TerraHawk
  • Like 1

I thought of another couple, how about....

Tim Ingham who played Sao Til for Tonight's the Night? (For people who don't know, John Barrowman had a show called Tonight's the Night and there was a few minute special with him in it specially filmed for the show.)

Rik Makarem

Colin Morgan

William Morgan Sheppard

Mark Sheppard

Edited by DoctorWhoFan2015

Yes, it's a very common thing among Doctor Who fans to immediately shoot down other people's guest suggestions. Whether it's a case of "I know more about these people than you do, so there," or that they are part of the inner circle who attend every Dr Who signing every weekend, or just throwing in their tupence worth, I don't know. But everyone is entitled to their wish list and it does come across a little rude to dismiss and disregard someone's hopes and wishes. No Doctor Who fan, no matter how knowledgable, can speak for any actor and even the most reclusive guest might have a change of heart (as Showmasters have proven in recent years). Would you ever have thought Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger would do meet & greet sessions with their UK fans? Yet both are now entering into that sort of thing.

Anyway, this is my own personal wish list. As likely or not the guests may be, it's my wish to one day meet these people.

Alan Bennion

Edward De Souza

Shirley Cooklin

Sally Faulkner

David Savile

Jane Sherwin

Tim Preece

David Daker

Donald Tosh

Lynda Barron

Tony Selby

Lynda Bellingham

Sheila Hancock

Jasmine Breaks (Jasmine was supposed to go to MK years ago, so I'm desperate to meet her!)

Howard Cooke

Keff McCulloch

Sara Griffiths

Edward Peel

Ben Aaronovitch (attended LFCC but there was no mention that he was only going to be signing for an hour in the morning! I'm sure I'm not the only one who missed meeting him)

Paul Cornell (see above)

Lesley Dunlop

Kevin Clarke

Mark Hardy

Mark Ayres

Marcus Gilbert

Tomek Bork

Marek Anton

Janet Henfrey

Sylvia Sims

Ian Hogg

Frank Windsor

Katharine Schlesinger

Sharon Duce

Will Barton

Julian Holloway

Yes, it's a very common thing among Doctor Who fans to immediately shoot down other people's guest suggestions. Whether it's a case of "I know more about these people than you do, so there," or that they are part of the inner circle who attend every Dr Who signing every weekend, or just throwing in their tupence worth, I don't know.

I'd say a bit of all three, really. I don't attend every signing - most are 4 hours from me, but I do as many as interest me. When there are gatherings of 10 or more actors in one day and I want most I tend to think I can't afford not to. Never know if you will get another chance.

But as for your list - informed opinion, which as you say can change. Stranger things have happened. I've met several over the years I'd never have expected.

By willing, I mean has done in last few years or next few months

Alan Bennion - not interested

Edward De Souza - willing

Shirley Cooklin - willing, IIRC lives in France

Sally Faulkner - willing

David Savile - not interested

Jane Sherwin - willing

Tim Preece - willing

David Daker - done private signing, so probably unwilling

Donald Tosh - willing

Lynda Barron

Tony Selby - willing

Lynda Bellingham - previously willing, if health permits

Sheila Hancock

Jasmine Breaks (Jasmine was supposed to go to MK years ago, so I'm desperate to meet her!)

Howard Cooke - done private signing, so probably unwilling

Keff McCulloch - willing, but lives down under

Sara Griffiths - willing

Edward Peel - willing

Ben Aaronovitch (attended LFCC but there was no mention that he was only going to be signing for an hour in the morning! I'm sure I'm not the only one who missed meeting him)

Paul Cornell (see above)

Lesley Dunlop

Kevin Clarke - willing

Mark Hardy - willing

Mark Ayres - willing

Marcus Gilbert - willing, but bemused :D

Tomek Bork - willing, but was a no show last time

Marek Anton - hard to track down, thought abroard

Janet Henfrey - willing

Sylvia Sims - willing

Ian Hogg - willing

Frank Windsor

Katharine Schlesinger

Sharon Duce - willing

Will Barton - willing

Julian Holloway - willing but lives in US

So quite a few are gettable. Some of the older more famous names I'd have thought more likely to agree to Autographica though.

Edited by TerraHawk

But this was exactly the point I was trying to emphasise. There's no need for Who fans to give their "expert" opinion whenever anyone makes guest suggestions, because it counts for nothing. It's pure speculation based on personal experience. So to dismiss certain actors whenever they are suggested is just pointless, and slightly dismissive to those doing the suggesting. I know that Keff McCulloch lives in Australia, I know the situation regarding David Saville and Alan Bennion, but anything is possible. People visit the UK, people change their mind about doing signings etc. People who have done private signings have done in-person signings as well, so assuming they are not interested just starts a rumour that people end up taking as fact. In fact, that is the problem with Doctor Who fans when it comes to guest suggestions. They are all too willing to give their own assumptions with an air of authority, which others then take to believe as gospel. Back in 1997 people would have said that Paul McGann would never do a signing, and now he's a regular with SM. I could say right now that Christopher Eccleston will NEVER do a signing, and people will believe it, but I am not Christopher Eccleston and can never speak on his behalf. I suppose it's just habit - when anyone suggests classic Who guests, Chiswick / Barking fans HAVE to point out why they won't ever do it.

EVERYONE on my list is a possible guest.

P.S. I don't mean any offence with this. It's just a little frustrating knowing that this is the way things work in Doctor Who circles.

It's just a little frustrating knowing that this is the way things work in Doctor Who circles.

I expect it would go on in other circles - except the Doctor Who circle of fans who get to meet their actors is so much bigger. There are more players involved.

Look at Star Wars - I would never for instance complain Kenny Baker is at so many events - it will be a sorry day when he can't continue - despite the fact I've not needed his autograph for 10 years, I can see others always will, and there will be those after who regret missing every chance too.

It's just when I think of all the Who guests I'd not have met had I waited for SM to get them - Verity, Barry Letts, Derek Martinus - I'm lucky I did when I did. But sure there are big actors I'd not have met had SM not got them.

Booking guests for half a day does seem to be a good comprimise; it works well elsewhere too. Jason says he wants to get more of such guests, that are being asked for. Yet non-fans still moan if there's too many. So sure if there are 20 Who guests and its a choice between 15 I've met before in the same year and 5 big names, or 20 new to the circuit of course in theory the later is better for me. I spent a fortune on Sarah Parish.

Point taken but at the end of the day, most of the original suggestions have done some kind of signing before albeit with other companies which shall not be mentioned.

Christopher Eccleston is the exception - I know he has been asked numerous times by various companies and has always refused.

I really like the compromise of getting Who guests for half a day but at the end of the day, if you are willing to travel, then you could get many of the suggested guests.