Obscure movies

andini

It all depends on your opinion of whats obscure.

I went through a stage a few years back where I started getting into foreign movies after going to the cinema with a friend to see the Japanese film Battle Royale. This kinda started my obsession with Japanese cinema, especially the horror movies. This was before the good old US of A started remaking them. I remember watching the original Ringu one night knowing nothing about it, The ending to that movie will stay with me forever. The remake, although it done well at the box office and with the critics, isn't nearly as great as the original. Another film that will never leave my subconscious is Audition. Even though I bought the DVD, I still haven't watched it again.

The great horrors of recent years in my opinion, have been French. There are a few really great movies like, Haute tension, Inside, and Frontiers. Martyrs is another great horror film which I have absolutely no desire to re-watch :)

Edited by Matthewman
  • Like 1

Agree with a lot of those films Matthewman Martyrs left me emotionally drained by the end. Audition was such a suckerpunch of a film and such a great example of slow build and subtlety followed by WTF. Inside was just brutal.

A obscure horror that I really recommend checking out is a Spanish one called The Baby's Room.

Also there's a Japanese Mockumentary called Noroi which is really interesting and creepy it's one of my faves and is on Youtube in its full form and well worth checking out.

• Like 2

Agree with a lot of those films Matthewman Martyrs left me emotionally drained by the end. Audition was such a suckerpunch of a film and such a great example of slow build and subtlety followed by WTF. Inside was just brutal.

A obscure horror that I really recommend checking out is a Spanish one called The Baby's Room.

Also there's a Japanese Mockumentary called Noroi which is really interesting and creepy it's one of my faves and is on Youtube in its full form and well worth checking out. [media=]

[/media]

I might check this out.

By obscure I mean the one's that don't get talked about much, one's that you have to search around for to even know they exist.

I noticed Puritan was on the Horror Channel last night, love it and have owned it for years but not many people seem to know about it.

I love The Baby's Room, I own every one of Alex De La Iglesia's movies and they are pretty much all amazing (except maybe the only English one, The Oxford Murders). I will check out Noroi.

Edited by andini
  • Like 1