Definitive story arcs or trilogies within long running horror series.

Indiana

So I was thinking this morning that there are some horror characters whose film series have quite a number of episodes. But if you had to choose the best of those films, just a small selection that covers a story arc or a definitive trilogy within the series, what would it be?

Here's some long running series to choose from (of course add any of your own!)

HALLOWEEN

FRIDAY THE 13th

TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE

CHILD'S PLAY/CHUCKY

LEPRECHAUN

CHILDREN OF THE CORN

THE HOWLING

HELLRAISER

SAW

RESIDENT EVIL

THE AMITYVILLE HORROR

A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET/FREDDY

Edited by Indiana

Out of all the movies listed, as a series, the Saw movies probably are my favourite just for the continuity and cliffhanger type endings. It was like a yearly episode of a TV show almost. I hope they continue it and avoid any sort of re-boot.

The halloween movies, parts 1-2, and 3-4 also worked well continuing where the previous left off.

I always like when movie sequels pick up right where the previous left off, If done right that is.

The Omen, then Omen 2 and Omen 3 are pretty good and track young Damien growing up and his rise to power, although having started with the best, they do start to go down hill, all be it I have good memories of originally watching the three movies. I saw The Omen and Omen 2 recently again and they both hold up well. As previously mentioned I fell asleep watching Omen 4 for the first time, so I have no idea if it has any connections to the first three.

Then I'd probably go with Halloween 1 and 2 as a great two parter.

Okay so here is what I'd go for and why.

Halloween, Halloween II and H20 - The story of Laurie Strode. I'm quite happy to ignore 4-6 & Resurrection.

Friday the 13th, pt 4, 5 & 6 - The story of Tommy Jarvis. I suppose part 1 could be included as well for set up purposes.

Elm Street 1, 3 and maybe New Nightmare. Not strictly Nancy's story, but a nice run of good quality Elm Streets.

Chucky is difficult. I guess I'd go 1, 2, 3 and Curse of Chucky and drop the two comedy episodes.