Great Horror Titles

smcelhenny

This past couple of years have seen an influx of bad movies with laughable titles, e.g Sharknado, Mansquito, Piranhaconda. Yet a good title is what quite often draws us to the movie. What are your favourite titles to a horror movie? Whether they be funny, intriguing or impactful.

Some that immediately spring to mind to me are and are prob more memorable than the films themselves are

Chopping Mall (far more impactful and memorable than it's original title Killbots)

Let's Scare Jessica to Death

Children Shouldn't play with dead things

I always thought A Nightmare on Elm Street was a pretty intriguing title. I heard it long before I saw the film, but also what sold me on that film was the UK Quad poster, which I think was far better than the US one sheets. It made me really want to see the film.

Other titles I thought were pretty good are:

The Silence of the Lambs - again , intriguing.

The Old Dark House - just screams gothic horror.

• Like 1

Well I'm glad they went for "Halloween" rather than the Babysitter Murders as the title.

I've not really reflected that much on titles for Horror Movie Titles before, so that is a great question.

I think some of my favourites would be:

The House That Dripped Blood

The Tingler

Jeepers Creepers

Sure there are loads more that will come to me later !

Edited by GoldenGreen
  • Like 1

I think the Italian's must be the master's of intriguing poetic titles. The night evelyn came from the grave, Four flies on Grey Velvet, The bird with the Crystal Plumage are ones that immediately spring to mind.

A title doesn't need to be long and curious to be impactful though. For example Halloween. A title as bold as that that has to deliver and thankfully it did.

I've had a chance to think on a few more titles, that work as a title but didn't necessarily work always as films :

- The People Under the Stairs (Anything that implies you have People you don't know about, whether they be under your stairs, in your basement, or looking down at you from peepholes in the attic, that is pretty freaky !)

- The Hills Have Eyes (Another Wes Craven one, but wtf, the Hills have eyes ?)

- Killer Klowns from Outer Space (Great title, mixes up a whole lot of things, but gives a great visual image)

- Inseminoid (Or as this was deemed to complicated for an American Market, lets just call it "Horror Planet" !

- Twins of Evil (not just one, but two of them, how can you get better than that ? , also retitled I think again in America to "Twins of Dracula"

- Phenomena (One of the first Dario films I saw, well it had Jennifer Connelly in and Donald Pleasence, but the VHS copy I had was called Creepers, again a change for the American market I think, although I think both titles actually work for the film)

- The Haunted House of Horror - or Horror House or The Dark, this one actually had three titles, probably with "The Dark" being most relevant to the original script at least, although I love the title "The Haunted House of Horror"

Thinking on it some more , I think the Roger Corman Edgar Allen Poe adaptations have some great titles as well, I remember when first hearing them, being really intrigued to see them, for example -

- The Masque of the Red Death

- The Tomb of Ligeia

- The Pit and the Pendulum

I think they all conjure up some great visual imagery.

Edited by GoldenGreen
  • Like 1