Improving the Show For Families

GoldenGreen

have a space/ area set aside for attendees with kids to go. Where they can sit and be for a little without being in the way of non family attendees.

Minful of DB's imprecation above, I would say that since seating is always at a premium at these shows, you do therefore risk alienating/annoying child-free attendees who would also like to sit down. So at that point you either need to have two separate seating areas (and the pain of having to label and even possibly "police" them as one "with kids" and one "no kids) or just haev one seating area for all.

Certainly in my limited experience (I haven't been in the last couple of years) and from reading threads here afterwards, the lack of provision of seating is a fairly common bugbear, so provision of some would probably be appreciated by all. (On the flipside I appreciate that providing seating is no doubt an extar expense both in the hiring of seating and the fact that it entails hiring/giving over space to it that doesn't generate any income).

I have to say LFACC this year was a strong turn-off. I had my four year old with me, and we literally could not move. It wasn't a pleasant experience. I expect this even to be precisely the same, so I can't see myself bringing her again - which is a shame.

I don't care about any of the other issues - she knows how to be quiet in talks, etc, etc. But the fact that it was like rush hour on the central line was no good. We'll have to see - the only guest I want to meet is Sean Patrick Flanery this year, so I might just head down on my own.

I don't think cosplayers mean to scare children, this is the Aliens included. Some do get into character so they are acting like their character. I've seen before an Alien has accidently scared a child but they have backed off straight away.

As for cosplayers not wearing enough, then you might want to bring that up with the films costume designers as they are the ones who made the outfit that skimpy.

I think the kids getting pictures with cosplayers and donating to charity would be a fantastic idea. I've had children and others have pictures with me in costume before and they can sometimes come out bad due to the mass amount of people walking behind so having a backdrop would be awesome so the pics would come out better for the attendees.

Some great suggestions, so thanks everyone for adding to my thread and contributing. It certainly has provoked some interesting debate.

As one of the earlier posters mentioned I would also be happy to help with any suggestions and get involved in the arrangements for the future.

Having been to Showmasters events since early days without kids and then with kids I can certainly see both sides of the debate and I think some people not so familiar with kids tv today they may be surprised at some of the characters and shows.

The kids are the future of these shows, so to get them interested and involve them in these great events is really important for the long term.

I've taken my kids to events in the past and they loved it. The cosplayers (especially Star Wars) really made their day - I have 2 boys aged 8 and 4 but have been taking them for a few years. They have even on occasions met the guests and have been polite and respectful and the guests have been great with them.

These kids are the fans of tomorrow and whilst I agree that a screaming child should be removed from a talk I dont' think Children should be banned from them (my eldest loved the Michael Winslow talk in manchester!)

As for sitting down - mine are happy to sit on the floor!!

At the Media Show it will the first time I will be bringing my 8 year old daughter.

She has wanted to come before but knowing how busy and hot it does get (plus the endless queuing) would not be ideal.

She is only attending to meet Evanna as she has just finished reading all of the Harry Potter books and Luna is one of her favorite characters.

I have asked in previous requests before but she is at the age of watching ICarly, Hannah Montanna and such shows. I was wondering if we could manage to get guests from such shows. I guess Power Rangers for Boys of a similar age or maybe some Toy Story charcters in costume for the even smaller kids???

Of how about a kids SMS pack included with entry price for kids?

Never had any issues with kids at shows previously some have cosplayed and got into the feel of the events which I think has been amazing.

I usually go to conventions with my wife and my 8 years old son; he is ok most of the time but gets tired and bored at times - especially when we spend more than 3-4 hours (one reason I get the gold pass is to cut on endless, although necessary, waiting times). Indeed, it would be great if there were a sort of "nursery/creche" full of toys/games were kids can spend one hour or so; I would be happy to pay £5-7 per hour. Staff should be professional, possibly hired for the week-end from local nurseries, CRB checked etc. I hope Showmasters might consider this possibility.

I usually go to conventions with my wife and my 8 years old son; he is ok most of the time but gets tired and bored at times - especially when we spend more than 3-4 hours (one reason I get the gold pass is to cut on endless, although necessary, waiting times). Indeed, it would be great if there were a sort of "nursery/creche" full of toys/games were kids can spend one hour or so; I would be happy to pay £5-7 per hour. Staff should be professional, possibly hired for the week-end from local nurseries, CRB checked etc. I hope Showmasters might consider this possibility.