Whats going on?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Some guests cudn't attend C4 ya know! It's not the first time its happened at an event, and it wont be the last! I think it's good they're able to tell us BEFORE the show, because I think it's MORE annoying turning up at a show to see someone and they're not there! Shows always carry warnings that guests may not appear if they have work committments, that's always been made clear so no-one can ever complain really, no matter how disappointed they may be.

Its not easy to make people aware of cancellations in magazines, as adverts have to be with the company a month before the issue date. So these new cancellations would not have made it anyway.

That why if they have access to the internet they should check before coming, just like checking trains before going somewhere!!!!!!!!!!

Thats just the way it is, sometimes it can't be helped!!!!!!!!!!!

vamps! is right, I am sure people will be aware that magazines have deadlines, and that you cannot change the information in a magazine advert on a daily basis! Which is why we provide our website address, hopefully people will realise that to keep UP-TO-DATE with information, they can go on the website and come on the forum too. We try to inform people as much as possible, if people purely read magazines then that is out of our control really.

Fox

With people cancelling and when people are signing, what else is planned for the rest of the week?

I wonder how many people now are having to change plans or not bother coming?

Sorry Im really in 2 minds now, Val was the main reason for going!

I need to decide if the £250 stays in my skyrocket, or if I take the chance and go.

With people cancelling and when people are signing, what else is planned for the rest of the week?

I need to decide if the £250 stays in my skyrocket, or if I take the chance and go.

You could just compromise - go, but don't spend as much as £250. Or is that for travel or something?

Kilty xxxxx :yoda:

You could just compromise - go, but don't spend as much as £250. Or is that for travel or something?

Kilty xxxxx ;)

I might just do that, Im just really Peeyed off Vals not coming.

What is this all about? A half-dozen if that out of three dozen or so guests have pulled out or are only there for one day, and that constitutes a crisis? :D

Like many people I am disappointed that Val Kilmer has pulled out, but LFCC is still going to be a great show.

Mulder and Vamps are exactly right about the magazine issue as well. Not everybody has access to the internet, but just as someone about to set off on a car journey should check the travel news those travelling to see a specific guest should check that they will be there.

Obviously some last-minute changes happen, but is great that SMs tell the public in advance.

Last year I was told a bare-faced lie by another convention organiser's office that a certain LOTR guest would definitely be at the show - I phoned them the day before!

However, when I had travelled for about three hours early on a Sunday morning, not only was the LOTR dude absent - I was told by one of the stall holders that the organisers had known said guest would not be coming for over a fortnight!

That organiser failed to put any info about this on their website and worst of all LIED when asked on the phone!

Anyway, rant over.

I fail to see what the beef is about "Cancellationmania"...

:blush:

Edited by Hobbit_of_Dorsetshire

• Moderators

My thoughts exactly! While it may be disappointing that some guests cannot come ... this is not under Showmasters' control, they ALWAYS make it clear about possible 'work committments', AND I would rather be dealing with an HONEST show organiser!! At least we get told! Which is evidently more than u can say for some other shows. And I think there's just a few more guests left aren't there? Yep there are, I just had a look on the website :unsure: So enjoy urself!!

I'm gutted that Val isn't gonna be there but I'd rather know now, than get there and say "where's Val?"

I know that not everyone has easy access to the Net, but for those of us that have I'm glad that Showmasters keeps us all bang up to date with everything.

This show is gonna be the business, loads of great guests to meet, the forum to catch up with and more dealer stalls than you could wish for. SHOWMASTERS WE SALUTE YOU! :o

• Moderators

On the issue of some people not having net access - I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on OTHER methods of keeping people up to date? personally i cudnt think of any really, other than perhaps a txt msg system or something like that, but I guess that would cost a lot ..

Well we could all go down the local newsagents and ammend the aforementioned magazine ads with a felt tip pen. But that might just irritate the shopkeepers. But there is a phone number on the ads anyway if people want to be kept up to date, who haven't got Net access. Mind you they might not have a phone. Other than that I'm stumped. :o

Hmmmmmm keeping those up to date with guest announcements and cancellations who don't have access to the internet, well the only thing I can think of is daily newspapers, ie daily mirror, the sun. I don't know if you have to have the adverts a month in advance with them, like magazines, but its just a thought!!!!!

And bloody hell some people agreed with me???? I'm impressed, don't happenoften LOL

• Moderators

Too good to be true?

Anyone notice who Showmasters had at C4? :P nothing is ever too good to be true :P

Vamps, with daily papers they'd have adverts changing all the time so it would be possible for SMs to do that ... but expensive ... what papers would they do it in etc?

And what about people who don't buy newspapers?

What about blind people! They can't read!

I know Showmasters do everything they can to keep people up to date, it's not their fault and I'm glad many people on here realise that, the reaction could have been a lot worse but I think people appreciate that we're being told beforehand! :angel:

Too good to be true?

Anyone notice who Showmasters had at C4? :P nothing is ever too good to be true :P

Vamps, with daily papers they'd have adverts changing all the time so it would be possible for SMs to do that ... but expensive ... what papers would they do it in etc?

And what about people who don't buy newspapers?

What about blind people! They can't read!

I know Showmasters do everything they can to keep people up to date, it's not their fault and I'm glad many people on here realise that, the reaction could have been a lot worse but I think people appreciate that we're being told beforehand! :angel:

I hear what your saying huns, but from what I can gather all advertising is done in film magazines and not everyone buys them, I just think if they are going to get reach more punters they need to advertise in different places. It also has to be worth the cost if it means brining more punters too. There is also radio stations, and how about Tourist Information centres?? Give them leaflets and keep them up to date with any changes.

You only need to look at newspaper websites or indeed on the front covers to see how many issues they have sold. They reach the biggest audiences.

What I'm getting at is, if you really think about it, there are always much bigger and better ways of getting in touch with your audience. If your prepared to put money into advertising, you are bound to get more customers!!!!!!!!

A full page advert in a newspaper costs around £25,000 - for one ad for one day! Even a quarter page can be as much as £10,000! The costs of newspaper advertising are astronomical which is why the net is such a great medium, and within the next few years virtually everyone will be using it :angel:

Edited by Hobbit_of_Dorsetshire

A full page advert in a newspaper costs around £25,000 - for one ad for one day! Even a quarter page can be as much as £10,000! The costs of newspaper advertising are astronomical which is why the net is such a great medium, and within the next few years virtually everyone will be using it :angel:

LOL well tell them I'll shag one member of staff for a free advert space LOL

A full page advert in a newspaper costs around £25,000 - for one ad for one day! Even a quarter page can be as much as £10,000! The costs of newspaper advertising are astronomical which is why the net is such a great medium, and within the next few years virtually everyone will be using it  :P

LOL well tell them I'll shag one member of staff for a free advert space LOL

Hmm...depends on the paper...the thought of shagging some of the people that work for The Scum for instance... :angel:

Hey I now what they need a huge, massive enormous sponser with s*** loads of money that will let the Showmasters spen on advertising, in return for selling their products sort of thing!!!

Grrrr I dunno there must be other ways than just internet, magazies and leaflets!!!!!!!