Question about inscriptions

18blue78

I’m getting a couple of historic images to be signed and was wondering if there where any rules on asking the guests to add an inscription as well as their autograph.

Is it just a case of asking politely and hoping for the best?

I know over in the States it is common to charge an additionally fee for inscriptions. So I thought I would see if anyone on here knew.

I think the general advice is to get there early, especially if they are likely to be a busy guest; earlier on they tend to be more accommodating, especially if you have someting of interest or different from the run of the mill. As the day goes on, if they have significant numbers of people waiting to see them, they may have to stop writing anything other than their signature, just to try to get through the people waiting to see them.

Might be worth saying on here who in particular you are after to get some sort of feedback (a) on how busy people may think they are likely to be, and (:D if they have any history of personalising or not personalising.

Nobody will be able to say definitively, but you might get some indication of how likely it is, and how early you may have to be for the best chance.

I’m getting a couple of historic images to be signed and was wondering if there where any rules on asking the guests to add an inscription as well as their autograph.

Is it just a case of asking politely and hoping for the best?

I know over in the States it is common to charge an additionally fee for inscriptions. So I thought I would see if anyone on here knew.

Did you want to post this in the Collectormania section? This almost sounds like you're asking about Autographica. The "historic images" is what makes me think that.

For Collectormania guests it's what TommyT posted. Unless the queues get too long inscriptions are usually a problem.

For Autographica if I recall correctly a couple of astronauts did use the US system you mentioned. It's only been a couple of guests though, the overwhelming majority is doing things like at Collectormania.

Like Tommy has said, if you post the names we could give you better ideas.

Thanks for the advise folks.

Might be worth saying on here who in particular you are after to get some sort of feedback (a) on how busy people may think they are likely to be, and (:P if they have any history of personalising or not personalising.

The images I’m getting are;

-Sir Stirling Moss winning the Monaco Grand Prix in 1960. It was the first ever GP win for Lotus.

-Lester Piggott entering the winners enclosure after win his first Derby in 1954 on Never Say Die.

-Christy O’Conner Jnr celebrating on the 18th at The Belfry after beating Fred Couples to retain The Ryder Cup in 1989. This was one of the images used in the locker room by Colin Montgomerie to inspire the European Team at Celtic Manor last year.

Rather then getting a caption printed on the photo I thought it might look cooler to get the guests to add a description of the image in their own handwriting.

Edited by 18blue78

The images I’m getting are;

-Sir Stirling Moss winning the Monaco Grand Prix in 1960. It was the first ever GP win for Lotus.

-Lester Piggott entering the winners enclosure after win his first Derby in 1954 on Never Say Die.

-Christy O’Conner Jnr celebrating on the 18th at The Belfry after beating Fred Couples to retain The Ryder Cup in 1989. This was one of the images used in the locker room by Colin Montgomerie to inspire the European Team at Celtic Manor last year.

I don't think any of these could be classed as being overly busy. Personally I have only met Stirling and he only ever signed his name. However those signings took place at race meetings and book signings, where time was even more limited than it would be here.

• Moderators

Yes, I'd agree that none of those will be insanely busy, and the best thing you can do is ask nicely.

In terms of charging extra for these sorts of things, as QS said, it's definitely usually astronauts as far as I'm aware.

Obviously do consider the age of the guest as well sometimes as, without wanting to sound disrespectful, some may not want to be writing anything too long.

i would think of something for them to write just incase

i had a rather embarassing moment with david wenham when i asked him to write his favourite line from lotr he said yeah sure went to write something and his face wetn blank saying he couldnt remeber any which then put me on the spot and my mind went blank :) and my face went red

so now i have a line ready in mind whenever its possible