What are the chances of a Being Human con?

Avengers7

• Moderators

My only issue - and this is coming from someone that loves the show - is that they've tried once with a solo event, and once with a mixed event, and neither of them happened.

It's possible that this is simply one show that won't be a success as a convention. It happens from time to time - even going back to something like Lost. Sure, there are various circumstances, but not every single show translates to a workable convention.

I'd much rather they got the guests to signing events where they can be successful and we're guaranteed to meet them somehow, rather than having a great lineup at a con and have it cancelled again.

Obviously only Jason and co can give a true answer, but I don't think they can keep trying something no matter how much they like it. They have to be sensible in the end.

My only issue - and this is coming from someone that loves the show - is that they've tried once with a solo event, and once with a mixed event, and neither of them happened.

Although to be fair, the solo event was after one series only, and the mixed event was cancelled IIRC because they couldn't get any guests from the other shows, rather than anything to do with BH.

Three series in and there may well now be more devoted fans (after all, how many people are going to want to go to a convention based on six one hour episodes? although strangely, that's really not much less time than the classic Star Wars trilogy...) - certainly ratings are up about 35% on series one. But again on the flip, I undersatnd they would need to sell a heck of a lot more than 35% extra tickets than Housebroken managed. Something like 1,035% extra. After all Dr Who has a decades-long legacy and five times the current viewership, but hardly does Twilight-esque business on the con front (I'll grant some of that may be because it's been around for years). Torchwood has probably four times as many viewers as BH, and The Hub is seemingly successful, but wouldn't be on a quarter of its attendance.

It's possible that this is simply one show that won't be a success as a convention. It happens from time to time - even going back to something like Lost. Sure, there are various circumstances, but not every single show translates to a workable convention.

Wasn't Lost in part another problem with getting actors? Plus I seem to recall its UK ratings dropped considerably in the second series and kept on going down.

I think BH might make a con, but realistically I think it's going to need something like 3 or 4 million viewers (which probably means a switch to BBC2) to generate enough folk willing to buy a con ticket.

• Moderators

The Lost con was arguably too late in terms of the boom, especially compared to say something like Heroes which we seemed to get on straight away. But then that died pretty quick.

It's hard to know really. There's a good amount of shows with huge amounts of viewers that simply won't translate to people who want to go to cons for one reason or another.

You would think BH would be an ideal genre show to have a successful event but it's tricky to know what the general consensus is as to why people wouldn't purchase. If it's because there's not ALL of the main cast or something then it's never going to happen, as a certain guy has gone off to play in New Zealand..

After all Dr Who has a decades-long legacy and five times the current viewership, but hardly does Twilight-esque business on the con front (I'll grant some of that may be because it's been around for years)

It's more a case that for decades several fan groups have run their own events, and there's a large pool of talent to draw from. We therefore aren't impressed by just one or two big events a year, that just promise to be the best ever. They don't offer anything special to some of us.

Get the main Dr Who stars to a big event and things would be manic.