TTT exstended DVD

Nili

USA TODAY got an early preview in Wellington, New Zealand, last week at director Peter Jackson's private screening room. Though a two-DVD set with the original three-hour Towers arrives on shelves Aug. 26, Rings completists will find plenty of fresh Middle-earth fodder in the longer version.

Bean's ring-craving Boromir, slain at the end of 2001's The Fellowship of the Ring, is resurrected in a lengthy DVD flashback after brother Faramir (David Wenham) finds a boat bearing his body.

Not only is there more Bean to savor, but the twisted emotional ties that ensnare ruler Denethor (New Zealand actor John Noble, who officially joins the cast in King), his favorite son, Boromir, and scapegoat Faramir also are exposed. The scenes also help explain why the noble Faramir is rather rude when he meets heroic hobbits Frodo (Elijah Wood) and Sam (Sean Astin).

Other DVD additions to the middle tale that heighten the drama and lighten the mood:

• Rohan horseman Eomer (Karl Urban) finds his mortally wounded cousin Theodred and brings him home, where his subsequent death goes all but unnoticed by his spell-stunned father, King Theoden (Bernard Hill).

• The plight of Eowyn (Miranda Otto), Eomer's sister, deepens as she sings a mournful dirge during Theodred's funeral. Meanwhile, her unrequited passion for visiting warrior Aragorn (Viggo Mortensen) is further inflamed when he tames an unruly horse by whispering sweet nothings in Elvish.

• There are more tree treats as the once-truncated encounter between ancient Treebeard the Ent and hobbits Pippin (Billy Boyd) and Merry (Dominic Monaghan) stretches its limbs. At one point, Treebeard's droning rumble of a voice causes the halflings in his branches to become drowsy.

• Jackson injects much fun with food and beverage. Eowyn, not especially deft in the kitchen, serves Aragorn a vile-looking bowl of homemade stew, which he politely chokes down. Boromir and Faramir share a couple of victory brews, and one declares in beer-ad fashion, "Today, life is good." Pippin and Merry greedily guzzle the magical elixir known as Ent-draught, adding inches to their wee stature.

The most surprising revelation in the longer Two Towers? That hale-and-hunksome Aragorn is 87 years old. Maybe it's something in that stew.

• 3 weeks later...

I promised myself I would not buy it this year after both me and my sister ended up having the FOTR one, but I think I have just abandoned my determination.

One thing doesn't make sense though, how can he be so old when he is so fine, and also such a good fighter, I mean he is only human!!! ;):angel:

I promised myself I would not buy it this year after both me and my sister ended up having the FOTR one, but I think I have just abandoned my determination.

One thing doesn't make sense though, how can he be so old when he is so fine, and also such a good fighter, I mean he is only human!!! :blink:  :help:

:blush: im a nerd..so i had to look that up! theres something in part of the ROTK appendix, p1037...

'.....Nay,Lady, I am the last of the Numenoreans and the latest King of the Elder Days;and to me has been given not only a span thrice that of Men of Middle-earth,but also the grace to go at my will,and give back the gift.....' ect also on this page parts of Elrond's speech to Arwen about Aragorn.

i havent even bought the FOTR EE yet..i keep borrowing my sisters copy.i love the hobbits commentry...

Stuff it i'm getting both I mean i have orderd the nornal one and i;m GONNA get the extended one and you can't stop me HAHAHAHAH :(

unless you do this to me :P

I cant wait until the Two Towers comes out on dvd or the extended edition...... I just cant wait and thanks for the info!!!!!!