Horror soundtracks/scores

DavidB

imdb lists jaws as 'adventure/horror/thriller'. the film is based on the horror novel by peter benchley entitled 'jaws'.

i know it doesn't have all the tell tale signs of a horror film, believe me ten years of studying films I KNOW!

but never the less it is a horror.

d.

imdb lists jaws as 'adventure/horror/thriller'. the film is based on the horror novel by peter benchley entitled 'jaws'.

i know it doesn't have all the tell tale signs of a horror film, believe me ten years of studying films I KNOW!

but never the less it is a horror.

d.

And as a Graduate with a First Class BA Honors Degree in Film Studies so do I!

Jaws is not a horror movie, and the imdb is not an official source of information on such matters. (If you search carefully you will see that they often list films as being in production when they haven't even finalised a script, among many other descrepencies. We were warned about using imdb as a resource on my degree course due to its frequent inaccuracies).

Jaws was an 'A' Certificate when it was released in the UK back in June 1975, meaning that children were allowed to see it if accompanied by an adult. The same classification was awarded to Superman The Movie in 1978 and is the equivalent of todays PG certificate, as awarded to Jurassic Park.

Infact if you go here Jaws Novel Classification You will see that Jaws is classified as "Fiction - Suspense; Fiction - Action; Fiction - Psychological"

Jaws just isn't a horror movie, no matter what you may believe.

Obi-Wan :P

Edited by obi-wan

okay just to finish this off, imdb is the best source of its size and can be quoted in university exam papers and essays and such, we were also warned about the descrepancies but found most were minor. universal studios uses imdb as a direct link for info about their films and jaws is a universal film.

BUT... in the interest of keeping the peace i will concede that jaws is a horror film to some but not to all.

d.

p.s. i have seen mike oldfield twice in concert and tubular bells rocks the venue.

Edited by tarannau

okay just to finish this off, imdb is the best source of its size and can be quoted in university exam papers and essays and such, we were also warned about the descrepancies but found most were minor. universal studios uses imdb as a direct link for info about their films and jaws is a universal film.

BUT... in the interest of keeping the peace i will concede that jaws is a horror film to some but not to all.

d.

p.s. i have seen mike oldfield twice in concert and tubular bells rocks the venue.

I'm not disputing that imdb can be quoted in exam papers, we were just warned that it is not 100% reliable, and to check more reliable sources for our information like the BFI, AFI and even BBFC. I know people who were severely marked down for using mis-information from the imdb.

By the way, don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing Jaws, it's one of my favourite movies of all time, and we can stand here and make our points of view all day, but at the end Jaws still won't be a horror movie - fact.

As I have discussed it may contain horrific elements, but it's overall tone does not suggest horror. The action and dramatic elements alone far out weigh the horrific moments. It also, as previously stated, carries none of the signature iconography associated with a horror movie, its certificate at the time allowed children to view the film and even its own source novel regards it as "Suspense; Action; Psychological". If I had to personally classify the film, I would call it a "Suspenseful Thriller".

I'm not here to argue with you, I welcome your views, but believe me, I do know what I am talking about (my degree alone qualifies this), I was virtually raised on horror movies, (the first movie I remember seeing was James Whale's Frankenstein), got a distinction for a paper on the horror genre and anyone who knows me, knows that if anyone can identify a horror film I can. (I even suggested this very horror section). But if you still want to regard Jaws as a horror movie you are welcome to do so, just as long as you understand that officially, it isn't.

So I believe there's nothing more to be said on this matter, and the discussion can return to horror music themes...of which Halloween is still the best :lol: (Tubular Bells doesn't count as it wasn't written purposely for the film)

Obi-Wan :yoda:

anyone who knows me, knows that if anyone can identify a horror film I can.

OK - so what's this film then? I saw it on the telly when I was a kid and I think it was in black and white but my memories are very vague. There is just a couple of scenes that stuck in my mind and I'd love to know what film it was.

There was some scientist and in his lab he had all these human arms (just the arms - no bodies) that were dangling off the wall and they tried to grab people as they passed by. He was keeping them alive somehow.

He also had a human head in a box which was alive - again just the head - no body.

It may have been a Hammer film - whatever, it was an oldie.

I don't remember the rest of the film - it may have been crap but those scenes really stuck in my head.

Jez xx

I agree about Halloween - it's the best music for a horror movie but I rather like the music for Hitchcock's Psycho too, and I don't care whether that classifies as a horror movie or not - I loved it!!

Psycho indeed fits into the classification for horror as it does feature some classic horror iconography (old dark house on the hill, skeletons, sharp knives, dark shadows), and I agree it has great music by Bernard Herrman (I think...from memory...I could be wrong it's late and I'm tired)

Obi-Wan :D

• 2 weeks later...