Return Of The KIng!!

Nienna

Fantastic film, anyone who bitched about Peter Jackson cutting out Christopher Lee needs a kicking for ever doubting him.

Probably going to see it again next weekend.

One thing if i was in the cinema with people cheering and shouting they'd of got a shoeing off me to be sure.

To sum up, i just gave the film 10/10 on the imdb poll

It is currently rated the 3rd best film ever on there.

Don't know if i'd go that far, but a great rollercoaster ride nonetheless.

Return of the King was among the dullest films I have had the displeasure of seeing all year.

I found it to be unengaging, plodding, and in places very shoddily edited. Gollum the first time he appeared was dreadful, terrible effects. What happened between Two Towers and this one? He looks like Morph, I kept expecting Chad and Grandpa to turn up and for Tony Hart to pluck him off the screen and put him back in his box.

There was a lot of waiting around done by both the characters and the audience. This film could have been edited so much better, as it was it was clock watching, mind numbingly boring.

The characters had no charisma what so ever, and I wanted to kick Frodo every time I saw him. What a limp wristed wimp, constantly being attacked and falling prey to this that or the other, he was essentially Daphne in Scooby Doo in these films, constantly having to be rescued by someone or other. How can he be respected as a so-called hero. (I noticed that the AFI's top 100 Heroes and Villains of all time on Channel 4 last night had not one character from Lord of the Rings. They obviously make that much of an impression.)

I really didn't enjoy these films at all. Instead of releasing extended editions maybe Peter 'Meet the Feebles' Jackson should concern himself with editing the 9 hours of celluloid he has wasted down to one coherent 2 hour film.

The Thing Posted on Dec 22 2003, 02:21 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return of the King was among the dullest films I have had the displeasure of seeing all year.

I found it to be unengaging, plodding, and in places very shoddily edited. Gollum the first time he appeared was dreadful, terrible effects. What happened between Two Towers and this one? He looks like Morph, I kept expecting Chad and Grandpa to turn up and for Tony Hart to pluck him off the screen and put him back in his box.

There was a lot of waiting around done by both the characters and the audience. This film could have been edited so much better, as it was it was clock watching, mind numbingly boring.

The characters had no charisma what so ever, and I wanted to kick Frodo every time I saw him. What a limp wristed wimp, constantly being attacked and falling prey to this that or the other, he was essentially Daphne in Scooby Doo in these films, constantly having to be rescued by someone or other. How can he be respected as a so-called hero. (I noticed that the AFI's top 100 Heroes and Villains of all time on Channel 4 last night had not one character from Lord of the Rings. They obviously make that much of an impression.)

I really didn't enjoy these films at all. Instead of releasing extended editions maybe Peter 'Meet the Feebles' Jackson should concern himself with editing the 9 hours of celluloid he has wasted down to one coherent 2 hour film.

:D:D:P

It's a shame you didn't enjoy the film, as so many other thousands of people did. You are of course entitled to your personal opinion, and I appreciate that it won't be everyone's cup of tea. However, if you went to see The Return of the King, and have obviously seen the first two films also - Did you like those? If not then why did you go and see the third film? Or did you like the first two and are just dissapointed with the third? Just curious..... :P

Vicky :D

It's a shame you didn't enjoy the film, as so many other thousands of people did. You are of course entitled to your personal opinion, and I appreciate that it won't be everyone's cup of tea. However, if you went to see The Return of the King, and have obviously seen the first two films also - Did you like those? If not then why did you go and see the third film? Or did you like the first two and are just dissapointed with the third? Just curious..... :P

Vicky :P

I thought The Fellowship was slow, but got better toward the end when Gandalf fought on the bridge, so I gave The Two Towers a go. This was slightly better and was a much more concentrated film where the action never seemed to let up and there was a real feeling of danger for the characters (who I still didn't really care for, they're just not very interesting), so I saw Return of the King purely to see how the story panned out.

It seemed that Jackson didn't really have enough story for Return of the King (even though he allegedly shot over 6 hours worth), and it was obvious by the viewing. It was plodding, boring and could probably have been wrapped up by extending the Two Towers by an extra hour.

As a whole I don't think the LOTR works, but as you say I'm entitled to my opinion, which is probably the same as the many people who left our screening after the first 90 minutes.

I can say with all honesty that when we left the screen not one person had a good word to say about it. They either expressed disappointment, ranted or said nothing at all. Make of that what you will.

I thought The Fellowship was slow, but got better toward the end when Gandalf fought on the bridge, so I gave The Two Towers a go. This was slightly better and was a much more concentrated film where the action never seemed to let up and there was a real feeling of danger for the characters (who I still didn't really care for, they're just not very interesting), so I saw Return of the King purely to see how the story panned out.

It seemed that Jackson didn't really have enough story for Return of the King (even though he allegedly shot over 6 hours worth), and it was obvious by the viewing. It was plodding, boring and could probably have been wrapped up by extending the Two Towers by an extra hour.

As a whole I don't think the LOTR works, but as you say I'm entitled to my opinion, which is probably the same as the many people who left our screening after the first 90 minutes.

I can say with all honesty that when we left the screen not one person had a good word to say about it. They either expressed disappointment, ranted or said nothing at all. Make of that what you will.

I am not really that surprised to hear that people left the film early. It is a long long film, and I suppose if you don't go with it, get into the film, and enjoy every moment, then it can seem to drag on to certain people. When I went to see it nobody left the screening early, and it was a packed cinema. In fact most performances were sold out within the first few days.

Some people go to see the film, like you, just to see how the story ends, because it is an epic film that everyone around the world will talk about, so why not go and see it to be able to voice an opinion of it.

I don't think that the film could be wrapped up by extending The Two Towers by an hour. There was too much material in The Return of the King to show. If certain details and story arcs hadn't been portrayed, then the fans would have been disappointed. What is the point of making the Trilogy of films if they aren't following the books somewhat?

My personal view is that Peter Jackson did a wonderful job considering how detailed the books are, and how much material he had to get through. Everyone criticises him for something, but if people stood in his shoes and had to do the directing, I doubt they would be able to do half as good a job. He managed to please and impress most people, but obviously there will be equally as many disappointed with the films aswell.

The films represent years of hard work, and dedication from hundreds of people including Peter Jackson and the cast members, and every other person who worked on the project helping do the computer graphics side of things or whatever their job may have been.

Something I disagree with you on is 'not caring for the characters'. I found the character of 'Sam' to be very well acted. I thought Sean Astin did a great job. How could you not care and feel for his character? The character 'Frodo' was equally well acted, but his character was obviously shaped very differently, but I still felt that Elijah did a fantastic job there too. In fact most of the characters in the films are very well cast. I am impressed with all of them.

I thouroughly enjoyed ALL the films. :(

Vicky :angel:

• 2 weeks later...

Id be interested to know what you thought was the best film you saw this year? Obviously LOTR isnt your thing.

i cried like a baby most way...

my sister was ashamed as everytime there was a great bit i got excited and quietly clapped my hands!

i cant help being excitable!!

how on earth can you fault Sean he is wonderful!

if he doesn't win at least two awards this year i'm going to be P**sed!

Veasse xx