Dollhouse - UK Sci-fi Channel Pace

So just watched the first ep.

Thought the pacing was a little slow at the beginning but it picked up. I'm hoping the first ep seemed to go a little slow because they had to spend some time explaining the situation.

I'm guessing that whole 'Alpha' thing as the end means their very first active has gone awol! Could be interesting, my initial thought was that it was Paul Ballard but the guy sat on the table in what I'm guessing is 'Echo's' parents house looked a little to skinny for him.

Funny enough I found Amy Ackers character and 'Serria' to be far more interesting on screen. We shall see how that goes over the coming weeks,

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched it last night.

Although I was kind of confused for most of it because I missed the beginning. It was quite annoying - it said it started at 7, so at 6.58 according to my sky I turned onto the channel, and it had already started!

Then again, im confused very easily, so I might have been confused anyway haha.

So, can anyone answer the question, at the beginning, what does she think she is getting treatment for?

Other than that i thought it was quite enjoyable, will probably stick with it.

Watched the second episode tonight - LOVED it. I always think that pilots are never very representative of a show, so I often keep going with stuff. I am so glad I did. I dont know what else to say but I loved every minute of it. This show may become one of my new favourites if it keeps this up.

Yes much better last night. I still think the pacing is a little slow in areas but much, much better than the first ep.

Very interesting to see the flash backs of what happened and how Boyd started and met Echo. Also interesting to see that Laurence really doesn't like Echo for some reason.

Echo's memories are starting to push through even more. Oooooo!

This ep opened up some questions such as what is it Alpha wants with Echo, he killed everyone around her but left her alive and set her up in the woods. I think he is trying to 'wake her up' and make her realise who she is but why her. I also wonder if there is a story with the Doctor and Alpha, although he cut her up, he left her alive when apparently it takes him seconds to kill someone, perhaps she helped him to remember, she doesn't seem too happy in her work. Maybe she's there against her will and she wants out

Also interested in Victor, Paul Ballard's contact, I thought from the promo stuff he was a doll but maybe they haven't recruited him yet. Do we have that to come, would be good to see.

Oh and that girl that lives across from Paul Ballard has got to be a plant from the Dollhouse to keep an eye on him!

Bonus of this ep! Mark Sheppard who rocks was in it :)

Yes much better last night. I still think the pacing is a little slow in areas but much, much better than the first ep.

Very interesting to see the flash backs of what happened and how Boyd started and met Echo. Also interesting to see that Laurence really doesn't like Echo for some reason.

Echo's memories are starting to push through even more. Oooooo!

This ep opened up some questions such as what is it Alpha wants with Echo, he killed everyone around her but left her alive and set her up in the woods. I think he is trying to 'wake her up' and make her realise who she is but why her. I also wonder if there is a story with the Doctor and Alpha, although he cut her up, he left her alive when apparently it takes him seconds to kill someone, perhaps she helped him to remember, she doesn't seem too happy in her work. Maybe she's there against her will and she wants out

Also interested in Victor, Paul Ballard's contact, I thought from the promo stuff he was a doll but maybe they haven't recruited him yet. Do we have that to come, would be good to see.

Oh and that girl that lives across from Paul Ballard has got to be a plant from the Dollhouse to keep an eye on him!

Bonus of this ep! Mark Sheppard who rocks was in it :)

Thats an interesting idea. I never thought of that, Im never good at guessing where shows are going. I like that idea though. Being the soppy romantic that I am I just watched that scene and felt sorry for her lol.

I really enjoy Topher and Boyds banter (I think I have the right characters there, im bad for remembering character names when im still new to watching something). I think Topher is my favourite character so far.

But yeah I pretty much agree with all of your post, you have some good ideas :YAHOO:

EP 3 - Stage Fright

My fav ep so far, I enjoyed seeing Sierra and Echo working together. The truth about Victor being a Doll comes out.

Once again it felt like Doctor Saunders knew something more than she was letting on.

Interesting to see that even in the basic state Echo seems to be very aware, like at the end, she knows that talking to Sierra will give them away, that they are bonding so she shakes her head.

Hmmm. I wouldnt say my favourite so far, I think I prefered the action of last week.

But I did still really enjoy last nights episode. I had no idea Victor was a doll, so that was a good suprise for me. Im intrigued to know where thats gonna go.

I think Im just not sure how much I like watching Sierra. She'll always just be Katya from Neighbours to me. But maybe with more time, her part will grow and I'll grow to like her.

• 2 weeks later...

Been a bit busy so only just watched the last two eps in one go!

~~~

Ep 4 - Gray hour

Bit of a boring ep. Not entirely sure why the show starts with Echo as a midwife!?! Surely you don't need to pay thousands for a 'special' midwife, so found that weird.

Anyway's not interesting, ok so we can remote wipe them but otherwise we learn nothing about the dollhouse.

Victor is working his way to becoming my favourite character otherwise whole episode is forgetable.

~~~

Ep 5 - True Believer

Interesting idea. Starts off great, Eliza does a great job of playing a blind girl but I real hate how suddenly when she gets her sight back she becomes kick ass again! So she gets her sight back and her whole personality changes in 2 seconds, I think the writers need to have a little thinking session! I mean I know the whole thing about the show is you cannot distroy the soul of someone, so being kick ass is part of Echo/Caroline's soul so no matter the imprint she will have a bit of that. Still it seemed really out of character.

Topher and the Doc's interaction were quite funny. I cannot get 'Man-reaction' out of my head! It makes me laugh so much.

How cute, Victor has a thing for Sierra when in their base state. That was another laughing moment, 'it feels... good!'. Victor's surprise is funny.

Also liking Dominic and DeWitt's interaction with each other.

All in all a much better episode than last week.

~~~

On another note apparently Fox dictated to Joss Whedon what he was to film on the first half of the series. Apparently Fox really wanted each ep to focus on the 'engagements' that the actives took.

Finally they handed over the reigns to Joss and he focus on character building more over the second half of the series which starts this week so I'm hoping for a improvement in the series from here on out.

Agreed. It just gets bettter every week.

And Welcome Earthling (Dont know your real name, sorry) Good call on neighbour girl being a doll.

I thought the fight scene between Echo and the FBI agent (I am SO bad at remembering character names with new shows. I'll get there eventually) went on for a bit too long. I was sitting there kind of bored. But beyond that this episode had me glued to my seat the entire time.

I cant wait to see where its heading next.

And Welcome Earthling (Dont know your real name, sorry) Good call on neighbour girl being a doll.

I know, I'm good!!! :)

BTW: welcome_earthling = Carrie

~~~

Ep 6 - Man on the Street

Yes much better episode, you can clearly see the difference between episodes and that fox finally gave up on the idea of concentrating on the engagements and letting Joss Whedon concentrate on characters instead.

Interesting ep to concentrate on the moral issues of the Dollhouse and the fact that for a lot of the time they are high priced hookers against their will. Did they know what they were signing up for?

Again I enjoyed the interaction between DeWitt and Mr Dominic.

Totally loving the Sierra/Victor thing (yes I know I'm such a girl!) and poor Victor being set up as Sierra's abuser. We see the darker side of the Dollhouse.

Ballard receives a message from an insider! Oooo who could it be? And we find out there are over 20 Dollhouses, a scary thought. And Ballard is fired, there is no way he is going to let it go.

Question! How is it all these rich guys can find the Dollhouse but the FBI can't?

Eliza's performance this week - Much better than previous weeks, ok she had that fight with Ballard but her other engaement as 'Rebecca' didn't end in her becoming kick ass which was nice. I thought it was funny when she started going on about the certain unmentionable adult venture :) Altogether this was her strongest performance in the series so far.

Fav moment this ep - Mellie the sleeper agent was activated!

Edited by welcome_earthling

Ep 7 - Echoes

Not a favorable week for Dollhouse. Storyline was Ok, liked the fact we got hints at some of the Doll's past in their flash backs. And in a sort of confirmation of what was said last week the company is up to something other than fulfilling peoples fantasy's.

Best part of the ep was Mr Dominic being infected and complaining that his gun was too heavy, the other part I liked was Topher and DeWitt taking about brown sauce :)

There were more things I hated than liked this week....

#1 - What was with Echoes outfit? Seriously, does she have to dress like a cheap hooker every week.

#2 - Why is it that all the Dolls who received a small dose of the drug, once affected were basically incapacitated for several minutes with memories where as Echo, who received a huge dose directly from the vial, was able to hold a perfectly good conversation and go running after the guy?

#3 - Boyd referred to Echo as 'Echo' when talking to her and she responded even though she was imprinted as 'Alice'

#4 - Why was Mr Dominic and DeWitt funny around each other at the end. I get they were embarrassed because of what happened but they weren't even in the same building and so did not see each other in that loopy state.

~~~

On a completely different note I had a jealous moment of that girl that 'Victor' through over his shoulder and carried across the room :) - I would have done it!

Aww its a shame you didnt like it Carrie. It was actually my favourite episode so far. I LOVED seeinng everyone infected and acting crazy. Mr Dominic, Dewitt and Topher were especially hilarious. On a personal note I also enjoyed seeing Brett Claywell (the client who got tied up and left) again, because I love him, albeit a very brief appearance.

I think Boyd referring to Echo as 'Echo' was just his immediate reaction, because thats what he knows her as. From memory I dont think she reacted to it though, so it doesnt bother me. But I could be mistaken.

I completely agree with your point about her outfits though. I guess its just thrown in there as an added bonus for male viewers? I dunno.

I agree with your point about the awkwardness at the end too, I thought the same thing. I suppose the only explanation is that they are both people who love to be in control etc, and were both individually embarrassed about their own behaviour, rather than bothered by the other persons. If that makes sense.

As for point 2, I hadnt thought of that. I have no idea.

just watched this weeks episode

not the best episode of the season by far, very average 5/10

some ok scenes and it did show a lot of Echos background story, but main story seemed weak and in parts pointless, seemed to me like they wanted to show Echos past but were not 100% sure how to so they came up with a very average storyline

so far, in my opinion worst episode yet, shame as the show in general is great

the dude :thumbup:

I LOVED seeinng everyone infected and acting crazy. Mr Dominic, Dewitt and Topher were especially hilarious.

Yes!! The best part of the episode were those 3 :)

DeWitt jumping up and down on the trampoline and eating food from Topher secret stash. Laugh at them when they were arguing about which of them was going to check on Mellie/November.

I completely agree with your point about her outfits though. I guess its just thrown in there as an added bonus for male viewers? I dunno.

No doubt, it's just annoying. I mean when the Dolls are walking around naked and getting in the shower it doesn't registar on my radar because it's nothing, they are supposed to be naked but Echo wandering around half naked on her engagements just stands out too much.

As for point 2, I hadnt thought of that. I have no idea.

Me neither but it might just me being picky! It just stands out as them making Echo this super-duper person, better than all the other dolls when she is just human like the rest of them

Much better episode this week.

Nice to see the Dolls working together in their 'original' state. We learn more about each character and how they behave.

I must admit I was fooled at first and did think that they had got their memories back. I liked Mellie/November, she was scared at first but then once she realised she wasn't alone she was pretty kick ass but not in a 'I suddenly know kung-fu' kinda way. Found it funny that both she and Echo ended up together and got on quite well considering they are the main focus of Agent Ballard.

Eliza this week - Not an altogether bad performance this week from Eliza, no where near as annoying as last week and look she can wear clothes!! I'm still not entirely convinced she is a strong enough actress to be the lead.

I'm getting a little fustrated with Dollhouse, it seems to be plodding along but it's not being outstanding. I think there is far more potential and I hope with season 2 they get it just right.

Interesting fact: watch the beginning very closely! When at the meeting just after the Dolls have woken up look at the woman standing behind Topher, it Morena Baccarin from firefly!