An audience with Scott Bakula

Tickets will only be refunded if the whole event gets cancelled or a guest will cancel, otherweise like dwarfbabe has said tickets are non-refundable.

I imagine that there may be exceptions if travel warnings are being put into place for the UK there might be exceptions being made, but at the present point I am not aware that there are such warnings.

I'm not sure about media reports in other countries, but here first reports are coming in "it's just like a normal flu outbreak after all." Media could have possibly been "hyping" the danger like they did with the avian flu years ago.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of curiosity, why would the swine flu getting worse make you afraid to travel? If it got really bad, surely you'd be just as likely to catch it in your home town as anywhere.

I am sorry, I knew was a difficult question.

I don´t live in UK, then my fear is to catch the flu at the International Airports.

In my county still there are not sick people.

Today BBC says:"Swine flu in the UK is being confined, contained and treated effectively" said the Health Secretary.

I wish in July, it will have finished... :D

It happens that I was going to go, to a "convention" in USA in a couple of weeks, and now I will not go.

"The top EU health official urged Europeans to postpone nonessential travel to parts of the United States and Mexico because of the swine flu virus".

Another stupid observation: I live alone and I never has caught any kind of flu. If I catch flu now, it will be very bad for me (don´t think:"poor Lady").:lol:

Just out of curiosity, why would the swine flu getting worse make you afraid to travel? If it got really bad, surely you'd be just as likely to catch it in your home town as anywhere.

I don´t live in UK, then my fear is to catch the flu at the International Airports.

Today BBC says:"Swine flu in the UK is being confined, contained and treated effectively" said the Health Secretary.

I wish in July, it will have finished... :D

It happens that I was going to go, to a "convention" in USA in a couple of weeks, and now I will not go.

"The top EU health official urged Europeans to postpone nonessential travel to parts of the United States and Mexico because of the swine flu virus".

Another stupid observation: I live alone and I never has caught any kind of flu. If I catch flu now, it will be very bad for me (don´t think:"poor Lady").:D

I think that Queen Sindel is right when she says the media have been hyping the danger. I don't think it's any more serious than any other outbreak of flu, it's just a different strain to the ones we're used to. By July it will probably all have been forgotten about. :lol:

On a serious note, you really need to put the risks of 'Swine Flu' into perspective. There are so many vastly more dangerous infections out there, and yet because it's on the news, people panic. With a few simple precautions, the chances of you contracting swine flu are next to nothing. Those precautions are : -

* Wash your hands regularly

* Don't touch communal objects i.e. door handles etc. and then touch your eyes, nose, or mouth

* If you shake someone's hand, don't then touch your eyes, nose, or mouth

* Try not to touch your eyes, nose or mouth

In case I haven't mentioned it, try to wash your hands regularly, and avoid contact with nose, ears, or mouth. Cancelling travel plans because of this non-outbreak is a complete over-reaction. There have been 15 laboratory confirmed cases of Swine flu in the UK. Out of 70 million people. You've got more chance of catching leprosy.

It would be a nice bonus to fans who pay for the 'audience with' to have there limited edition pics signed by Scott. Just a thought.

You can absolutely get your print signed by Scott afterwards, that isn't a problem.

I don't think it will happen that we get the print signed right away. The talk ticket is costing 20 pounds, and I expect Scott's autograph will be 25 pounds a piece, but at least 20 pounds. If SM would give away the prints signed, they'd possibly lose money on every ticket sold.

I wish in July, it will have finished... :P

Another stupid observation: I live alone and I never has caught any kind of flu. If I catch flu now, it will be very bad for me (don´t think:"poor Lady").:D

This is something you have to decide for yourself of course. Being cautious does not hurt, but there is no need to be overcautious. If I may ask, what country are you in? Is there an official travel warning in place for the US? The WHO will be an organisation that is of course one of the more cautious ones. It's their job after all. :P

I'm not trying to talk you out of your fears. I've got an enormous fear of heights myself for example, and whatever my friends do to get me on certain rides in amusment parks, I will not do it.

I just don't want you to overreact, and possibly regret it later.

I've had the flu (the normal one) earlier this year.

You will notice in time that you feel ill. A flu is of course an illness and shouldn't be be taken easy. Yes, you will feel like cr@p. But not everyone who catches it gets seriously ill to the point of (almost) dying. It is more dangerous for certain groups, but even for those groups the death rate is minimal. It's not 1920 anymore thankfully.

Also neither flu virus type is one that will make you drop unconscious right on the spot (at least not that I am aware of), so you living alone doesn't put you at a special risk. If you go to your doctor when you spot symptoms, everything should be well. In the current climate he will normally admit you to hospital right away.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

peanut butter and banana

Never thought of that in a sarnie- sounds good to me!!

Sunday is free parking almost everywhere so will be going then. Saves me some money (£40!!). lol.

Where is it free on a Sunday?! I parked in EC last time and it cost a bomb and it opened quite late. Anywhere free, safe and early nearby would be a bonus!!

if the swine flu is worse in July and I am afraid to travel, will be my tickets refunded?.

As has been stated, not unless the show is cancelled, no. However, if there is some sort of official travel warning issued by your country saying that all non-essential travel to the UK should be avoided. (or possibly worded even more strongly) then I would expect a decent travel insurance package to cover that.

I'm not sure about media reports in other countries, but here first reports are coming in "it's just like a normal flu outbreak after all." Media could have possibly been "hyping" the danger like they did with the avian flu years ago.

It really is too soon to tell at the moment. Remember, it is spring in the northern hemisphere at the moment; it could be that if this is still lingering in six months time then its effects could be a lot worse in cold weather. You also have the possibility of further mutations occurring which could change the nature of it. Sure, it doesn't seem to be as infectious or as vicious as some previous pandemic strains, but I wouldn't be relaxing too much yet.

I've had the flu (the normal one) earlier this year.

You will notice in time that you feel ill. A flu is of course an illness and shouldn't be be taken easy. Yes, you will feel like cr@p. But not everyone who catches it gets seriously ill to the point of (almost) dying. It is more dangerous for certain groups, but even for those groups the death rate is minimal. It's not 1920 anymore thankfully.

I'm unsure whether you mean "thankfully this isn't the strain that was responsible for the 1918/19 pandemic" (which is fine) or "thankfully this isn't 1920 any more and medicine has advanced so much since then", which is unfortunately not a particularly valid argument - the 1918/19 pandemic killed at least 40 million people, and modern research suggests up to 100 million people. Sure, medicine then was less advanced, but the strain then was both very infectious and caused very severe symptoms; I've seen summaries of research which suggested that if another strain as bad as that happened, the death toll would again be tens of millions. Remember, there are more people around to catch it now, and we're more "efficient" at spreading these things. And with a pandemic that bad (for every one of the dead you'll have dozens more who are severely incapacitated by it), systems for dealing with it do rather tend to break down, as you run out of people able to "function".

That said the 1918/19 pandemic was a very extreme case. It's unlikely to happen again, but never say never.

what's the difference between "an audience" and a talk? Except for paying for it and an extra 15 minutes.

And a 12" x 16" print, IIRC.

I'm unsure whether you mean "thankfully this isn't the strain that was responsible for the 1918/19 pandemic" (which is fine) or "thankfully this isn't 1920 any more and medicine has advanced so much since then", which is unfortunately not a particularly valid argument - the 1918/19 pandemic killed at least 40 million people, and modern research suggests up to 100 million people. Sure, medicine then was less advanced, but the strain then was both very infectious and caused very severe symptoms; I've seen summaries of research which suggested that if another strain as bad as that happened, the death toll would again be tens of millions. Remember, there are more people around to catch it now, and we're more "efficient" at spreading these things. And with a pandemic that bad (for every one of the dead you'll have dozens more who are severely incapacitated by it), systems for dealing with it do rather tend to break down, as you run out of people able to "function".

That said the 1918/19 pandemic was a very extreme case. It's unlikely to happen again, but never say never.

The issue about the advancement of medicine is valid to an extent - at least in those parts of the world where you can 'get' good treatment. Most deaths were from ancillary symptoms or infections (the same can be said of a lot of 'diseases' to be fair) - for example pneumonia. And nowadays the symptoms of such things can be managed much more efficiently.

Also, I don't agree that we're more 'efficient' at spreading disease now. Sure, individuals have a wider diaspora, but a) people have a greater understanding of how such infections are transmitted - hence people wash their hands, don't re-use cups, etc., and b ) massive movements of men in close proximity under poor hygiene conditions (as seen during WWI) just doesn't happen much any more.

Anyway Chakotay, what you could do is turn up for the talk dressed like this : -

outbreak21.jpg

If anyone queries it, just tell them it's cosplay :D

I'm unsure whether you mean "thankfully this isn't the strain that was responsible for the 1918/19 pandemic" (which is fine) or "thankfully this isn't 1920 any more and medicine has advanced so much since then", which is unfortunately not a particularly valid argument - the 1918/19 pandemic killed at least 40 million people, and modern research suggests up to 100 million people. Sure, medicine then was less advanced, but the strain then was both very infectious and caused very severe symptoms

The issue about the advancement of medicine is valid to an extent - at least in those parts of the world where you can 'get' good treatment. Most deaths were from ancillary symptoms or infections (the same can be said of a lot of 'diseases' to be fair) - for example pneumonia. And nowadays the symptoms of such things can be managed much more efficiently.

I actually meant a bit of both. It is not the same strain, and at least last reports I heard was that it was not that infectious like assumed first. Also the virus does react to at least one flu medication from what you hear here.

But yes, there has also been an advancement in medicine. At least in Europe there's way better coverage with what is available as well. In 1918/1919 people may have been wanting to see a doctor, but they couldn't because there was none available. Now we have health insurance etc. Our understanding of hygiene has changed, too. Mike has pretty much posted already what I wanted to say.

I'm not saying it will never happen again, and I am most certainly not saying one shouldn't be cautious. But I am saying panic is not the way to go either. Here lots of media are covering the subject with titled like "death flu spreading", and this is not exactly helping, but creating panic.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

peanut butter and banana

Never thought of that in a sarnie- sounds good to me!!

It is worth sampling

It works OK - although it's a bit of an acquired taste;) PB goes well with Jam too

Love PB and jam. Just not together - not sure why. Which is how I stumbled upon PB and banana when trying out alternatives.

Now I am getting hungry so excuse me....heads for the kitchen

Sorry... Sorry... :P

I should not have done that question publicly, I should have written a private message only to the moderator.

This forum is for to talk about the important news SCOTT in UK and in Europe (many people from other countries will travel to London to see him, from Israel and Australia too).

I ask for not to speak any more about the flu, the sick people are recovering.

(Schwarzenegger continues with State of Emergency in CA, I hope Scott does not cancel his trip to London).

:o

I have travelled to 18 countries. Surely I have been in danger often...

I was in a QUANTUM LEAP Convention the last month, in Los Angeles, California.

Scott had 4 bodyguards. They were not allowing to nobody approaching him in the public areas.

But, then he signed, embraced and photographed with all of 400 fans.

He was very very... candy. :D

scott-me.jpg

Yes, most of the deaths were from bacterial pneumonia, which can be treated with intravenous antibiotics (although of course antibiotic-resistant strains do exist), but it was also a particular severe flu strain - the symptoms were so unusual that initially influenza was misdiagnosed as dengue, cholera, or typhoid. One observer wrote, "One of the most striking of the complications was hemorrhage from mucous membranes, especially from the nose, stomach, and intestine. Bleeding from the ears and petechial hemorrhages in the skin also occurred." The thing is, when you have something as virulent and severe as that, with the best medical facilities in the world, you can easily end up overwhelmed if you don't have enough well people who can treat the sick or bring the sick to places of treatment; which is why there is quite rightly a focus upon trying to keep health workers up and running in such a situation; the best drugs in the world are no good if they're in a store-room because you don't have any staff able to administer them. (Or enough places to put the sick - suppose you had 10,000 or 20,000 people requiring hospital treatment?)

Also, I don't agree that we're more 'efficient' at spreading disease now. Sure, individuals have a wider diaspora, but a) people have a greater understanding of how such infections are transmitted - hence people wash their hands, don't re-use cups, etc.,

There is a greater understanding, but is it observed? I see any number of people walking out of public toilets without washing their hands, there are often moans after shows about people with hygiene/odour issues (which makes you wonder where else they fall down in the hygiene stakes) and this story from not much more than six months ago makes for unpleasant reading.

and b ) massive movements of men in close proximity under poor hygiene conditions (as seen during WWI) just doesn't happen much any more.

You obviously haven't been on some of the same commuter trains into London as I have recently :D

Granted we don't have the same issue as 1918/19 with large numbers of troops being demobilised, which contributed to mass outbreaks, but with something in excess of 2 million people flying every day, not to mention many people frequently travelling by train or car for far longer distances than 90 years ago, there is now so much more of a chance of it being rapidly spread far and wide and finding a favourable place for a mass outbreak. Yes, we need to be more hygiene-aware, but I don't think that that has filtered through to enough people yet.

Anyway Chakotay, what you could do is turn up for the talk dressed like this : -

{picture snipped}

If anyone queries it, just tell them it's cosplay :P

or urban beekeeping :o

Sorry... Sorry... :D

I should not have done that question publicly, I should have written a private message only to the moderator.

Just wanted to let you know that Private Messages don't work on this forum.

I do have an e-mail posted in my profile (just click on my name next to the post). If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to e-mail me there.

But please don't worry about the discussion about the flu. That subject was bound to appear somewhere sooner or later. It happens quite often that topics on the forum do go a bit off topic. This is nothing unusual, and nothing you have to apologize for.

Normally we don't allow other events to be discussed on the forum. I'll leave your post up as it is because I'm pretty sure the event you mentioned was a one time thing. Also technically you didn't mention the event name. :P

You're a really talented artist, that drawing on the picture is fabulous.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

I do believe Chakotay is using an online translator... that is American in design and that word should have been "sweet" lol

Lizzy caught me. :D

If "sweet" has been my only grammatical mistake... I have passed the test! ...

I wrote previously I don´t live in UK and now I say my English is very bad (unfortunately) ...

But I learn with DVD... Since Scott touched me, I have not slept (a joke)...

and I see ENTERPRISE, from the first episode again (original language and subtitles in English).

Then, Lizzy, I don´t know the words how Scott is: "candy", "sugar", "honey", "sweet", "nice", "pop corn" and... very very very ... shy.

There is a greater understanding, but is it observed? I see any number of people walking out of public toilets without washing their hands, there are often moans after shows about people with hygiene/odour issues (which makes you wonder where else they fall down in the hygiene stakes) and this story from not much more than six months ago makes for unpleasant reading.

Oh by and large I think it is. Sewage is dealt with properly, and the vast majority of people keep clean, and do wash their hands after going to the toilet (I agree that a minority don't - that's why I don't eat peanuts at a bar!). That story wasn't particularly surprising - I refer you back to my guidelines - don't grab the handrail, and then rub your eyes :) The amount of people I see doing that... you can be too precious about it, but I do my best to limit my exposure to other peoples waste products. I remember someone on here slagging a guest off for having a pack of antiseptic wipes, to be used after shaking hands. I can't say I blame them to be honest!

To see the difference, you've only got to look at a family with kids - that family get a hugely increased number of infections, colds, flus, etc. - just because children's hygiene is not what it could be, and they're a lot more tactile than adults.

Seating is limited and will be numbered, so the first to buy will be the first in the auditorium. All Gold Pass holders will have reserved seating and do not need to purchase a ticket.

just want to make sure: I've bough a Gold pass... Am I sure to get into this talk?

if seats are numbered & it's by first buy, first seated, how are the gold passes seated?

I've bought my gold pass about a week ago... are gold passes given seats before those who buy "only" a ticket to the talk?

Also, I saw one of you (sorry, don't remember who) posted something about prices grades starting with 15GPB & upto 75 GPB, all concerning doing stuff with Scott. (talk, talk + pic, talk+pic+autograph & so on).

What am I missing? where was this quoted from & what are my rights as a Gold pass owner?

just want to make sure: I've bough a Gold pass... Am I sure to get into this talk?

Yes, Gold Passes do get an automatic seat.

if seats are numbered & it's by first buy, first seated, how are the gold passes seated?

I've bought my gold pass about a week ago... are gold passes given seats before those who buy "only" a ticket to the talk?

The first three or four rows - this has varied depending on the set up of the halls - are reserved for Gold Pass owners. You can pick any seat in this area. Numbered seating starts behind the Gold Pass area.

Also, I saw one of you (sorry, don't remember who) posted something about prices grades starting with 15GPB & upto 75 GPB, all concerning doing stuff with Scott. (talk, talk + pic, talk+pic+autograph & so on).

What am I missing? where was this quoted from & what are my rights as a Gold pass owner?

This came from another convention that Scott has done in the US where his autographs weren't exactly cheap. :D The person was comparing what you get at London Film and Comic Con for the price that you paid for an autograph at the US show. He was trying to say that London Film and Comic Con was a better value for the same money.

The 25 GBP for an autograph are a guess by Mike (who posted this). This comes from the price of the photo session which is 25 GBP too. Usually an autograph is the same price as photo session. So he did the price chart: 25 GBP gives you an autograph, 50 GBP gives you an autograph and the photo session. If you add the talk in (tickets cost 20 GBP if you don't have a Gold Pass) you're at a total at 70 GBP and compared to the other convention that still leaves you money to buy food.

Your Gold Pass gives you the following things:

- an automatic ticket for every talk, no matter if free or paid for. You also get a free ticket for a party should there be one (there never was one at LFACC, but never say never).

- Reserved seating for those talks in the first couple of rows.

- You get to go first in any photo session, but photo sessions need to be paid for extra

- There's a separate queue for Gold Pass holders in the morning which is way shorter than the regular queue, so you can come in like 5 minutes before opening and still be in front (Gold Pass holders get a little headstart before the regular queue also).

- You can join any autograph line without having a Virtual Queue ticket, just show your Gold Pass. (Normally crew members hand out little tickets with numbers at the start of the day, and once your number is called you can join the line. Gold Pass holders don't need to pick these up.) You still do need to pay extra for autographs though.

- You also get a goodie bag with pre-signed autographs and some other stuff.

It's kind like a "front of the line pass" at certain amusement parks.

Edited by Queen_Sindel