bella/kristen lovers unite

Edwardsbackupgirl

To be honest she was a lot better than I expected her to be, based on the criticisms I'd read about her.

I really believed the performance, which is often not the case in movies. She had the presence to carry the character and the movie, and I actually felt like I understood the character because of how she was. It wasn't a case of someone out of their depth, she genuinely had something about her that made sense.

I realise she's not going to be for everyone, especially those who have such high expectations and personal visions beforehand, but for me she was actually one of the strongest performances.

I agree, also I think we have to remember that as readers we all interpreted the way Bella reacted in our own way and no actress would have ever been perfect. When I first saw that she had been cast as Bella, I was pretty pleased she looked how I had envisioned her although my first choice was Alexis Beldel of Gilmore Gilrs fame. But now I think Kristen is right. I think as females we have a preconcieved idea who we want for our heroine especially when the hero is someone we all think we're a little in love with. No one would be right on the money and since the hero is played by Rob, we're all a teeny biy jealous of her. My only critisism of her acting is that at times she came across a little emotionless in parts but like I said that is due to how I interpreted those particular scenes when reading the book.

I 100% agree with what xihearttwilightx says. Kristen is an amazing actress- she can play just about any role and get it spot-on. I think she's perfect as Bella and feel that she is not rude- just shy. Go Kristen! :D

• Moderators

My only critisism of her acting is that at times she came across a little emotionless in parts but like I said that is due to how I interpreted those particular scenes when reading the book.

That's often one of my main issues with book to movie adaptations. We all read things differently, and an author can only convey so much emotion (specifically) to a reader, and the rest is left up to us to imagine or translate into our own understanding of emotion. So when someone else takes on that role, it's always going to be different than what a lot of people first imagined.

Doesn't necessarily make it wrong, as that's the power of emotion - people being able to take something out of it, even if it is on a completely different level to someone else. In fact, I'd go as far as to say the source material is more powerful when it can be interpreted in many different ways. I like things like that, rather than a straight simplistic 'ok this is it, there's no room for movement' type of work.

My only critisism of her acting is that at times she came across a little emotionless in parts but like I said that is due to how I interpreted those particular scenes when reading the book.

That's often one of my main issues with book to movie adaptations. We all read things differently, and an author can only convey so much emotion (specifically) to a reader, and the rest is left up to us to imagine or translate into our own understanding of emotion. So when someone else takes on that role, it's always going to be different than what a lot of people first imagined.

Doesn't necessarily make it wrong, as that's the power of emotion - people being able to take something out of it, even if it is on a completely different level to someone else. In fact, I'd go as far as to say the source material is more powerful when it can be interpreted in many different ways. I like things like that, rather than a straight simplistic 'ok this is it, there's no room for movement' type of work.

Absolutely! I have cringed at the way some scenes in the Harry Potter books have been filmed and have a love hate relationship with Emma Watsons rather animated eyebrows, but on the whole I think you have to look at movies as stand alone pieces. They can never live up to our expectations especially when the book is so beloved and the same goes for the actors in them. Kristen did good on the whole and her interview technique away from the set will improve with time and maturity.

Let's face it, how many remakes have there been of Pride and Prejudice with different actress in the role of Lizzie Bennett? Have they got that right yet?

• 2 weeks later...

I am a Kristen convert. I used to think that she was incredibly stuck up and rude, but after having watched the link in the "woah" convo, i have new found respect for her, under a non-scripted and edited light, she came across as pleasant and friendly!