FANFIC COMPETITION ENTRY

nightshadewolf

Was it my determination as a doctor to give her another chance at some kind of life or my selfish desire to keep her all for myself? I had come to see her as a corpse rather than a woman so was surprised when a short breath escaped her grey but still beautiful lips. They told me that she'd jumped from the cliff but nobody seemed to know why.

This fragile creature surely wasn't alone in this world? Was there a husband waiting in the reception of the hospital to hear the news that his beloved had taken her own life? No one had yet come to claim her.

Still, she had only lain upon this cold slab for a matter of minutes.

Was it only minutes?

It felt like I had lost days staring into her peaceful face, she seemed so easy as she drew in shuddering breaths that kept her body filled with feeble life. It could be snuffed out at any moment, I wondered if I had the right to do that for her or if I should let nature run its course. It wasn't her time, she'd thrown herself down into those rocks rather than waiting for her life to run into death naturally.

I could give her so much more.

She would be radiant, a true angel but with a cost.

I believed though that so perfect a woman could not be denied into heaven no matter what she became, I was sure that she would bring honour and warmth to our cold kind.

My hand shook, I lifted it only to brush a strand of her auburn hair from her face, I was so scared of breaking her that such a light movement filled me with dread. I wished that I could hear her voice before I did it. If only we had met under different circumstances and then I could have introduced myself properly, had the time to really get to know her. Then would I have had the heart to change her and rip her out of her comfortable human world?

I couldn't bear to see her in such agony any longer. I placed my pale slender fingers against her cheek, warmer than my own skin but so cold for a human. She didn't react at all as I sank my teeth against her jugular and pierced the skin. The venom flowed from my mouth into the wound and her sweet warm blood gushed over my tongue and down my throat.

I pulled away. It was so hard but my longing to be with her overpowered the monster that had risen in my chest.

It was the end of my shift when I stole her away back to the home I shared with Edward.

"What's your name?" the question came on the third day when her eyes finally opened.

"Esme."

Her voice was like a song to me, "I'm Carlisle, there's a lot I need to tell you."

A whole new life.

By: Natalie Penna, Brighton, England - Ticket Number G75

Edited by nightshadewolf

*blushes and hides* thanks guys, I don't usually do fanfics cus it gets me out of the habit of my own writing but I felt like this relationship isn't explored enough in the book, just like all the other 'secondary' characters.

I absolutely agree! And do love your story! Good luck, hun! :crying:

• 3 weeks later...