Sci Fi

bunnycure

Pete Berg is attached to direct (Hanncock, Smockin Aces, Collateral

Ah yes, I htink I remember reading that a while back. He only starred in Collateral and Smoking Aces though? He was also in Wes Craven's Shocker (one of his better films). He also directed The Kingdom and seems to work alot with Michael Mann. Personally after seeing Hancock, I dont think he has what it takes to make such a big movie like Dune.

I watched Demolition Man (1993) last night after talking about it earlier here. Its a great idea and has great sub-text but the pacing is just poor and its easy to get bored in it.

Edited by nicky

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you are correct sir

it is in development just now

Pete Berg is attached to direct (Hanncock, Smockin Aces, Collateral)

and a newbie writing the script

they are looking for a 2010 reales, if i happen to bump into anyone involved in the film when i go to San Diego in july this year i'll post it up

I'm convinced it won't work. I'm convinced Dune can't be filmed successfully unless:

a ) They split the original book into at least two films (Preferably three - the original book is comprised of three smaller books after all)

b ) They throw a LOTR sized budget at it.

Each of the previous adaptations falls short. The original movie is too short, whichever cut of the movie you are watching. It also takes far too many liberties with the plot.

The mini-series has the right idea, split it into three separate parts (as in the book), is relatively faithful but lacks the necessary budget.

If the people making this new adaptation do right by the book (and the fans), they could have a very successful franchise on their hands, given there's five sequels to adapt.

However I have little hope. If they're eying a 2010 release, it'll be a rush job.

Edited by Turtle

Dune needs to be long... It needs to be big-budget... It needs an amazing design team ( So no cube-shaped ornithopters! THE CLUE IS IN THE NAME, PEOPLE! ) and it needs to be faithful to the books ( So no sodding "Weirding modules"! )

I doubt it'll get past the third novel as, to be honest, the original books get harder going the more you go into them.

Sacriligeous as it may be, I love the prequels and sequels cowritten by Herberts's son.

Dune itself is one of the best novels ever written - One of two books I've read, then read again immediately upon completion.

The other being Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein. Way different than the movie.

Hmm... If Dune was released in 1984, and is going to be remade for 2010...

Starship Troopers done right in 2023?

With a half-decent attempt at a TV series in 2013?

BTW, tangent :

Anyone else playing Lego Star Wars or Little Big Planet on PS3, add me for multiplayer goodness!

Revscapegoat

What do guys think of Judge Dredd (1995)? I thought it was great when I first saw it but it could have done with a bit more depth - the only thing that made it real sf though was the cloning thing. I'd like to have seen more of "The Cursed Earth" and the cannibal family. Dredd also should never have taken his helmet off and not had a crummy comedy side-kick. The costumes and production-design however was great. If you watch Minority Report (2002) it's actually a very similar story: respected futuristic cop from a controversial law-enforcment agency framed by an insider on the run trying to clear his name with Max Von Sydow as his boss.

A new Dredd film for 2012 is in the works from Danny Boyle's company though he has denied any personal involvment. The first film's director, Danny Cannon said he'd never work with an A-list star ever again after Stallone demanded changes to the script and final cut.

There's an interesting article on SF on Empireonline in which it tries to separate what is "hard" SF and just simply such and such in space or such and such in the future or such and such with aliens: http://www.empireonline.com/empireblog/Post.asp?id=364

Edited by nicky

na the Dredd movie was pants , it has a few good bits but just wasn't true enough to the comics , it was too kiddy for my taste wasn't dark enough

Hi the judge dredd movie was okay but i agree it should have been darker but the cure song at the end was really good,the hellboy movies are really good :cylon:

What do you guys think of Spawn? i thought it was a good movie!
I only ever saw it once when it first came out but dont remember it being good. I knew nothing about the comic but still was looking fwd to it but it was pants as far as I remember. A sequel was in talks for ages during the late 90s and it was meant to be directed by Walter Hill (48 HRS, Red Heat, The Warriors) but dunno what happened - I guess they thought the animated series was a safer bet.

Well i used to read the comic back in the day along with Punisher , Ghost rider and i beg to differ i thought it was a good adaptation of the comic just done a bit before it's time ,

NOW the FIRST Punisher film , that was pants and ghost rider was abit of a let down for me ,but has an awsome scene of both riders to ghost riders in the sky , a sort of tribute to the biker art of Dave Mann

Well i used to read the comic back in the day along with Punisher , Ghost rider and i beg to differ i thought it was a good adaptation of the comic just done a bit before it's time ,

NOW the FIRST Punisher film , that was pants and ghost rider was abit of a let down for me ,but has an awsome scene of both riders to ghost riders in the sky , a sort of tribute to the biker art of Dave Mann

IMHO, Spawn should have been more stylised and "cartoonish", if you like...

As for the Punisher - When you say "first", which do you mean? :YAHOO:

James Cameron's Avatar is out in November I think. I'm guessing this film, if successful and it probably will be, will up the bar for sf films. I remember back around 1996 when ID4 came out it kinda made sf films popular again and I'm predicting the same thing to happen with Avatar.