Anyone going from Scotland?

expecto-patronum

Hey, I really wanna go to this event, but the trouble is I live in Scotland and Northampton is a 6 hour drive away, I'm 15 atm, and will be 16 when the con takes place. So I was wondering if anyone knows a cheap way of getting there or if anyone would be willing to give me a ride down with them, I'd be willing to split petrol costs :)

Keep an eye on thetrainline.com from beginning January for cheap fares .

Don't look for trains from whereever you are to Northampton, instead look for

X to Birmingham

Birmingham to Northampton return

Birmingham to X

This is the way I look for my trains now, and in the past I've managed to get there and back on the train for less than £40.

Being that you'll be 16 when the hub 2 comes round, I'd also suggest you check out the young person's railcard, I don't know if there's a charge for this or not, but if you intend on going to alot of events, this will save you money on your train fares.

Hope this helps.

Hey, I'm in Scotland. My friends and I flew down to London-Luton through Easyjet (took roughly about an hour or two with check-in, etc) and then caught a bus from the airport direct to Northampton, (which was just over an hour).

I'll be doing the same thing again for going in March, so if you want anymore info just hollar :)

Peace,

Campaspe

Edited by Campaspe

Thanks for the replies, they do help :)

Hey, I'm in Scotland. My friends and I flew down to London-Luton through Easyjet (took roughly about an hour or two with check-in, etc) and then caught a bus from the airport direct to Northampton, (which was just over an hour).

I'll be doing the same thing again for going in March, so if you want anymore info just hollar :)

Peace,

Campaspe

Can I ask how much it would cost?

Hi

I'm in Glasgow and will be going in March. I went overnight by train last week and I WON'T be doing that again. There's a chance tho that I might go by train during the day with some other people from the Torchwood Forum. Drop me an email at moonlitcactus@hotmail.com if you're interested in joining up for that! (Same applies to any other Scots reading as well!)

moonlitcactus x

Peace,

Campaspe

Umm... roughly speaking, the return flight cost around £60, and the return coach to/from Luton-Nothhampton cost around £20. So that's roughly £80 travel. Cheaper and faster than any of the trains I managed to suss anyway! X)

Peace,

Campaspe

Umm... roughly speaking, the return flight cost around £60, and the return coach to/from Luton-Nothhampton cost around £20. So that's roughly £80 travel. Cheaper and faster than any of the trains I managed to suss anyway! X)

I managed to get a return for about £37 by train last time. Takes longer but was the cheapest method I found of doing it. You can't book trains more that about 12 weeks in advance so start looking at the end of december for good deals!

Peace,

Campaspe

I managed to get a return for about £37 by train last time. Takes longer but was the cheapest method I found of doing it. You can't book trains more that about 12 weeks in advance so start looking at the end of december for good deals!

Woah, seriously? That's awesome. Who did you book through, how long did it roughly take, and do you know how many changes there were? X) anything to save the pennies! hehe

It was through the virgin website. It was about a 6hour train ride on the way down with 3 changes (i know, eek!) but on the way back there was only one change so not bad at all! Virgin trains are really good also for having somewhere to plug in your laptop and having a torchwood DVD marathon on the way down! I'll be having a look at them first before deciding about booking a flight or anything.

It was through the virgin website. It was about a 6hour train ride on the way down with 3 changes (i know, eek!) but on the way back there was only one change so not bad at all! Virgin trains are really good also for having somewhere to plug in your laptop and having a torchwood DVD marathon on the way down! I'll be having a look at them first before deciding about booking a flight or anything.

I'll look into that then nearer the time then. Could be fun to take the train this time- less drama than having to go through the check in at the airport, and the idea of being able to bring my laptop is seriously tempting! heh XD where are you travelling from exactly, if I may ask? I'll be leaving from Glasgow myself.

Leaving from Glasgow also. Trying not to think too hard about booking travel for this yet as I've still to arrange to get home from a panto in December thats proving tricky!

I need to stop fangirling!

Stop fangirling? What blasphomy is this you speak of!? XD I totally know what you mean though. In all reality I'll not even think about booking my travel till Feb at the earliest as I'll probably not have the money again until then, thanks to the first hub and christmas!

Are you going to robin hood by any chance? XD

I'll look into that then nearer the time then. Could be fun to take the train this time- less drama than having to go through the check in at the airport, and the idea of being able to bring my laptop is seriously tempting! heh XD where are you travelling from exactly, if I may ask? I'll be leaving from Glasgow myself.

Oh going by train could be fun could actualy get some sleep this time and it would be nice not to get felt up by customs people again evry time I fly from Glasgow it happens.

XD

Glaxey-song

Oh going by train could be fun could actualy get some sleep this time and it would be nice not to get felt up by customs people again evry time I fly from Glasgow it happens.

I agree about taking the laptop :) I felt lost without mind from the hub but I gave tosh a hig when I got home. yes my laptop is called Tosh :YAHOO:

now come on Glaxey-song it was not my fault I couldn't sleep I was going to see John Barrowman.

I think the train sounds fun

• 1 month later...

Peace,

Campaspe

Hey I was woundering how close to the Hub you booked your train tickets? Ive been looking at Virgin and other train/Bus and some are more exspensive than flying down.

Peace,

Campaspe

Hey I was woundering how close to the Hub you booked your train tickets? Ive been looking at Virgin and other train/Bus and some are more exspensive than flying down.

About 12 weeks. its worth booking the trip in stages as it can work out a lot cheaper than buying a straight ticket, even though sometimes you can stay on the same train and dont need to switch at all! I've not even started looking for travel to the hub. I'll wait til I get panto season out the way first!

• 2 weeks later...

YOu can get a return on virgin trains now for £46 from Glasgow to Northampton.

Is that on the virgn website or thetrainline.com?

I was looking at getting the sleeper train and then all singles and its worked out same price but if we can get a train straight there that would be good.

YOu can get a return on virgin trains now for £46 from Glasgow to Northampton.

Is that on the virgn website or thetrainline.com?

I was looking at getting the sleeper train and then all singles and its worked out same price but if we can get a train straight there that would be good.

On either. I checked both of those and the national rail inquiries site and£46 was the best return price. YOu need to get the train at about 8am on the friday and the monday though.

Can someone give me an idea of what options you put in to get that return price, please? I've tried a few things on the Virgin site and National Rail, and the cheapest I can find is about £97. Am I missing something really obvious?

Thanks for any suggestions,

moonlitcactus x

There seem to be no £23 singles left on the Monday now. If you put in Glasgow to northampton leaving on March 13th after 7am and returning march 16th leaving after 7am you will get options for a £23 single at 8am on the friday with one change and the cheapest is at just before 8am on the Monday at £34.50 which is £57.0 return. Thats on both thetrainline.com and virigintrains.com.

Hope this helps!