Will SM be watching the WATCHMEN?

abstractharmony

Yes,

It's a date I have had burned onto my heart since this weekend last year!

But There isn't a SM event until after that.

Plus, the closer we get to next year, the more the cast are going to be increasing prices and they're availability will fill up.

There's also a pretty good chance that Gibbons/Snyder would also come along for the ride.

Yes,

It's a date I have had burned onto my heart since this weekend last year!

But There isn't a SM event until after that.

Not sure what you mean. Why do you want them at C14, surly LFCC 2009 or C15 in May would be better?

As David said, it makes logical sense to have the guests at a con after the movie has opened - that way more people are familiar with the stars, most of which arent widely known for anything else. Zack Snyder already has a career we know about so it would be ok to have him at a con now but the others??

Edited by nicky

• Moderators

I think it's pretty safe to say there'll be advertising at the least at some of Showmasters' shows. I'd be shocked if there wasn't.

But it'll depend on the success of the movie as to whether we get guests or not I think. As Nicky said, most of the cast don't have huge careers to rely on. Perhaps they'd be easier to get than say The Dark Knight guests or something though. I have no idea.

The only time I can think when SM had a guest so soon after the movie opened was Kristanna Loken from Terminator 3 (2003).

She appeared at C4 in Oct 2003 about 2 months after the film opened plus she was also the main villian - the new Terminator so there was novelty value and hype there for a film(s) that people had actually seen and knew was good or not.

Edited by nicky

surely there's no debate as to wether the watchmen film will be any good or not?

That's clearly not even the issue here. :smile: The film could be the greatest film ever made after it's released but the point is not as many people are going to meet guests they know nothing about if you have them at a con before the film is released. It's simple maths and I can't understand why anyone would think it was a good idea to have them at a con months before the film opens?? :D

Obviously after the film is released MORE people will be familiar with it and so a BIGGER fanbase will be made. That means MORE people will want to meet them at a con which means more success for SM and the guests.

Edited by nicky

• Moderators

It's simple maths and I can't understand why anyone would think it was a good idea to have them at a con months before the film opens.

Unless it was simply in a publicity-type capacity, perhaps along the lines of Neil Marshall's appearance or something?

Obviously I'd still say a LFACC would be better to do something involving a cast and publicity for an unreleased movie - a panel etc - but that's not really an option now.

Unless it was simply in a publicity-type capacity, perhaps along the lines of Neil Marshall's appearance or something?

That worked cos he was free and he has a career we already knew about from two pre-existing movies that had fans. In other words, we had something to go on already besides Doomsday which hadnt been released yet.

Edited by nicky

i'm sure that the majority of people who attend showmasters events are clued up enought to be familiar with upcoming film projects,and the success expected of them,and in turn the level of attractiveness of the stars of those films.

or are you seriously undermining the expectations of your public?

like,do you not credit them with the intelligence to make an educated guess as to wether or not a film is going be a success and the stars of a film are going to be worth meeting for future reference?

i didn't think showmasters events attendees were all that dumb.

some of the crew,i'm not so sure...

and dave gibbons would be a great guest.

he could bring some pictures,too... do a little presentation?

• Moderators

If I were in charge, I'd probably think it was a waste of time getting cast members from a film that hadn't been out yet. Regardless of the familiarity that attendees have with the project, I'd bet most of them wouldn't meet the cast before they've even seen the movie.

A promotional appearance would be fine, but I wouldn't bother getting cast members along for normal signings before the movie had come out. Unless it was someone like Jeffrey Dean Morgan, and that's only because of his other work.

i'm sure that the majority of people who attend showmasters events are clued up enought to be familiar with upcoming film projects,and the success expected of them,and in turn the level of attractiveness of the stars of those films. do you not credit them with the intelligence to make an educated guess as to wether or not a film is going be a success and the stars of a film are going to be worth meeting for future reference?

I always thought these events are made for the general public, not regulars who attend these kinds of events - I mean look at the diversity of guests we've had in the past and the fact they're held in MK Centre - SM are always trying to broaden their horizons by roping in more attendees. And you'd be surprised what some "fans" here dont know about some things - just look at the posts from people saying John Hurt and Pete Postelwhaite etc aren't "big" guests as promised or that they have never heard of them.

For SDCC, having guests from upcoming films does work cos American fans are clued up over there - it's the mother of all cons attended by studio hot shots, stars and sponsors who use the event for promotion and press conferences/panels. It's famous and well-respected and is an event hardcore-geeks the world-over and media watch out for. Anyway these guests from upcoming films at SDCC are there primarily for the Q+A panels and not all of them go on to sign. Watchmen had a panel this year at SDCC as did Terminator Salvation, the Wolverine movie, the Max Payne movie, The Day The Earth Stood Still remake and Twilight . Not sure if the guests went on to sign though afterwards. But again, this is SDCC where they have 2x 40 ft high TV screens and a big-ass stage for the panel and international journalists in the audience. When SM events get this big, then I think it would be feasible to have upcoming unknowns like this.

I'm a massive movie fan but I dont know alot about the "Watchmen" comic but I do admire director Zack Snyder and writer David Hayter (X-Men 2) so I would wanna meet them and pay to do so cos I would have stuff to talk about and refer back to. But the cast in general who I dont know much about and would I pay to meet them? No. But that's just me, I'm not an "auto-collector", I only meet guests I actually like and I dont get autos from anyone just cos they were in a film so I can build up my collection.

Bar two of the cast (Carla Guigino and Billy Crudup) I would have nothing to talk about and everything about the upcoming film they would be allowed to spill the beans on I could read online. Bring them back after I've seen the film then I'll actually have something conrete to talk about and something to be excited about cos I have seen it. I'll care about who they are and their attendance then too cos then I can say, "oh cool, he's the guy in that great scene with the xxxx". This would also bring in more attendees cos they then know who they are.

Again, Watchmen could be the most sucessful and best film ever (like Indy 4 or The Phantom Menace should have been) but I'm just not gonna be super-excited about paying to meet unknown guests from a film I havent seen. I think only "Watchmen" followers and fans would meet these guys if you got them now as they are the same guys that will be more determined to like the film so there's a kinda biased view on the film there - they'll buy the DVD even though they hated the film cos they are fans (like I did with The Phantom Menace). You also have to remember not everyone has heard of "Watchmen" so it's not like having guests from a new "Batman" or "X-men" film.

I take it you guys who want Watchmen guests now are guys who are fans already (of the comic)? Then take this for example: say at C14 I want guests for excample for the Friday The 13th remake due Feb 2009. Now the cast are unknowns but the movie's bound to be great and has an existing fanbase like Watchmen. Do you think it would be viable to get the guests in now before they become too big? Or would it better to get the guests after the film opens so we all know who I'm talking about and then have something to refer back to?

Edited by nicky

True, it would be better for showmasters and for everybody attending if the film was already out, but Id rather have the opportunity to see them now, rather than not see them at all.

Anyway i think impulse autographs are often the most rewarding, I got summer glaus without ever seeing firefly or serenity, but knowing that i liked joss whedons stuff, i thought it maybe something that id kick myself at a later date if i didnt get then.