what do you get out of it?

jamie1138

i follow the threads here and attend the shows,although my wife rarely does,and she is an obsessive and very knowledgable film fan...

and this is something that always crops up in discussion...

what is it that draws you guys in to these events?

i mean,you pay a few quid to stand on the other side of a table and get to see a famous actor,genre or otherwise,and maybe if you're very fortunate,you get to exchange a few words,and maybe a handshake or some such...

what's the draw?

just curious to hear why you all do it.

the talks i can understand,getting to interact with the guests is cool,and sometimes very informative.

Honestly, I just love meeting these people who I've been a fan off for (most of the time) many years.

I also have a photo album full of photoshoots that I've had done over the last 7 years since I was 14. I completed it with my 70th photo (Claudia Black) this weekend, and it's incredible to see the difference from when I was 14 to now.

It's a hobby.

• Moderators

Often it has the same kinda vibe to it as any other type of 'collecting' - some people get it, some don't.

Autograph collecting is far more satisfying for me than many other types of collecting due to being able to meet someone very significant at the same time.

But it's not always about the autograph - in fact, for me it probably rarely is unless it's say a cast print I'm getting done - and the meeting is usually the most important thing. Sure, the busiest ones you can't have something in depth, but just to be able to tell someone you appreciate their work, and shake their hand can be more than enough.

When I was younger I'd never met a famous person in any way, but most of my friends seemed to have done and I was soooo jealous! Then I picked up a flyer at a local mini show and saw Trek guests on it and I had to go see them, and loved it! The autos instantly went on my wall and I was so proud of myself.

Then I heard of SM shows and the rest is history! Over time, 3 autos from Trek turned into a few from each show, and I started putting them into lines on my wall, depending on what Trek show they were. Then framing them and they moved walls 3 times :P

I just love my wall now, and I feel its a totally "wow" factor whenever anyone walks into my room, and as well as being a collection, its an achievement!

Now apart from that, I love getting my piccies done with the guests, and yea it is a real hobby to enjoy with my bf, and my friends. I don't smoke, I don't like to go clubbing in the slightest, and I don't drink much for a student (had to stop with the foot op as it made me too woozy)... so I save a lot of my money for the shows as it doesn't go on much else!

I love meeting the guests too- its a god feeling, and it helps if they are nice, so when you next see them on TV, it has an extra special meaning.

I really love the shows, I've made sooooooo many really good friends, and although it sucks that we all live far apart, I know that we'll meet up and have good times for each show!

Edited by Lizzy

For me it's my way of saying thank you to my favourite actors for all the enjoyment they've given me in their performances in my favourite films and shows. It's me saying "I liked your performance so much that I wanted you to sign my item in recognition of how good it was."

It also means that I get a thrill whenever I see them on screen after that because I think "I've met them!".