Can we have a JOHN LANDIS talk please?

MikeDonovan

This would definitely be a huge bonus - Landis has had a long career, at some points in his career near the top of the pile of Hollywood directors, and I'm sure he'd have a lot of insights into both the general directorial process and his experience from his films in particular.

This would be a big 'win' for the F in LFACC - personally I'd have at least 10 questions to hit him with.

This would definitely be a huge bonus - Landis has had a long career, at some points in his career near the top of the pile of Hollywood directors, and I'm sure he'd have a lot of insights into both the general directorial process and his experience from his films in particular.

This would be a big 'win' for the F in LFACC - personally I'd have at least 10 questions to hit him with.

I agree with you 100%.

It would be brilliant if John Landis could do a talk. B)

I'd like him to do a talk too cos I reckon he'd to too busy at his desk to ask him a question.

Agreed - I tend to think he's going to be quite busy because of American Werewolf and Thriller - he is down for both days though I think - might be a bit quieter on Sunday...

I tend to think he's going to be quite busy because of American Werewolf and Thriller
AAWIL I can understand the popularity amongst film fans here but for "Thriller", I dunno - is it cos those fans are in fact big Jacko fans and not Landis fans? I mean Jacko eclipses everyone in that video and Thriller isn't even a widely available VHS unless you have the old rare "making of" video that came out in the 80s so what will those guys get signed?

What are the Qs you were hoping to ask anyway, Mike?

I tend to think he's going to be quite busy because of American Werewolf and Thriller
AAWIL I can understand the popularity amongst film fans here but for "Thriller", I dunno - is it cos those fans are in fact big Jacko fans and not Landis fans? I mean Jacko eclipses everyone in that video and Thriller isn't even a widely available VHS unless you have the old rare "making of" video that came out in the 80s so what will those guys get signed?

What are the Qs you were hoping to ask anyway, Mike?

Good question. If he did announce a talk I'd give it a lot of thought of course, and I'd come up with some more "Directorial" questions. But one thing off the top of my head is that I'd really like to know how he feels about Beverly Hills Cop 3. That film was a shocking abortion IMHO, but I'd like to hear how he feels about it in hindsight, what problems there were (studio intervention? Murphy being too involved? Bad script? The budget spiralled out of control - would like to hear his thoughts with 20:20 hindsight as to what the problems where, and why it turned out like it did. This, after Oscar (Sylvester Stallone), pretty much broke his big-studio career, so I'd be interested to hear his reflections on it now.

On a lighter note, I'd ask him for a few stories from the filming of "Trading Places". Has always been one of my favourite films - pretty much flawless IMO. Would like to hear whether the chemistry was as good on the set as it was on screen. We know the Dukes got back in the markets courtesy of Prince Akeem, but it'd be interesting to hear what he thinks happened to Winthorpe, Valentine, and Ophelia over the last 25 years... And anything he's got to say about it's "spiritual successor" Coming To America would be great too.

One other thing I'd ask him about is one of his directorial trade marks. We know where "See you next wednesday" came from, but I'd want to know what started the regular "breaking the fourth wall" thing....

I'd really like to know how he feels about Beverly Hills Cop 3. I'd want to know what started the regular "breaking the fourth wall" thing....

BHC III was I think just made cos Landis and Murphy desperatley needed a hit coming after the panning of Oscar and Eddie's string of duds like The Distinguished Gentelman and Harlem Nights. What's more is that BHC III was the film they made together after Eddie vowed never to work with Landis again saying, "he has more chance of working with Vic Morrow again than me."

The breaking the 4th wall is an interesting question - I think it was used best in Coming To America. twice.

- I'd like to ask how the Dukes cameo came about in Coming To America and if he ever thought of a sequel cos of it?

- What was it like working with two of Black America's biggest stars in the 80s?

- How he felt about WB trying to change the title of Innocent Blood without his knowledge when it was marketed internationally?

- What's with all the director's cameos in his films?

- Why he felt The Blues Brothers needed a sequel after so long considering one of them was dead (maybe he was desperate for a hit again)?

- Why doesn't he do director's commentaries on DVDs?

- How did the Black community respond to a White guy making a successful all-black cast Hollywood movie and did he feel under pressure?

- I'd like someone else to ask about The Twilight Zone.

BHC III was I think just made cos Landis and Murphy desperatley needed a hit coming after the panning of Oscar and Eddie's string of duds like The Distinguished Gentelman and Harlem Nights. What's more is that BHC III was the film they made together after Eddie vowed never to work with Landis again saying, "he has more chance of working with Vic Morrow again than me."

So what caused the rift? I guess it must have been Coming To America? I know there was a court case for plagiarism of the story, but didn't think that Landis was involved. What's the story behind the Murphy argument then?

The breaking the 4th wall is an interesting question - I think it was used best in Coming To America. twice.

Seems to do it in practically all of his films. Sometimes it's a bit heavy handed, but normally it works quite well.

- I'd like to ask how the Dukes cameo came about in Coming To America and if he ever thought of a sequel cos of it?

Yes I'd like to know that. Was it originally scripted? Or was it a last minute change, because Don Ameche and Ralph Bellamy became available?

- What was it like working with two of Black America's biggest stars in the 80s? - How did the Black community respond to a White guy making a successful all-black cast Hollywood movie and did he feel under pressure?

Yes good question. Coming To America was interesting in that regard - somehow it managed to escape the accusations of stereotyping, even thought it could have easily gone the other way. I think a lot of his peers would have been very reluctant to get involved with the script.

- Why he felt The Blues Brothers needed a sequel after so long considering one of them was dead (maybe he was desperate for a hit again)?

Agreed - in all honesty my feeling is he did it for the money, but also as a chance to get back into the hollywood system.

- Why doesn't he do director's commentaries on DVDs?

Another good question!

So what caused the rift? I guess it must have been Coming To America? I know there was a court case for plagiarism of the story, but didn't think that Landis was involved. What's the story behind the Murphy argument then?

Dunno, probably something to do with the plagerism and how it was dealt with and Murphy's rising ego.

Edited by nicky

>>> I'd like someone else to ask about The Twilight Zone.<<<

No one will be talking about The Twilight Zone.

And I've heard all of the Murphy/Landis stories. Some of things I've heard about Eddie Murphy are disgusting. He sounds like a horrible person - to the extent that the Vic Morrow comment above is tame in comparison.

Edited by Paul Davis

The talks list has gone up but it doesn't appear that Landis is doing one. :YAHOO::YAHOO::YAHOO:

I know he's done them before surprisingly (at least I think he's doen them) so hope something will change his mind. I hope I didn't scare him ;)

Edited by nicky