How long do you think you'll keep going to cons?

nicky

How long do you think you'll keep going to cons.  

88 members have voted

1. 1. How long do you think you'll keep going to cons???

• I'll keep going as long as good guests come
    • I will probably give it up one day for some reason
    • I'm not sure, can't tell .

Also the collecting etc shows an interest to attention to detail - we sometimes are mocked for knowing every minor detail about a show such as the combintion to the safe on the USS Enterprise. I don't know it but I heard Shatner was asked it during years ago and in a drunk outburst he shouted at the fan, "GET A LIFE!". A similar thing happens in Galaxy Quest (1999) and may have been nod to the Shatner incident.

Actually it comes from an appearance on 'Saturday Night Live' where Dana Carvey (Garth in Wayne's World) plays a very geeky fan asking a ridiculously detailed question about how Captain Kirk is feeling in Episode 38 when such and such happens (and failing to realise that Shatner is not Kirk). Shatner replies 'Get a life!', which was intended to be a joke, but it didn't go down too well with some fans who thought he was mocking fandom in general. It eventually led to Shatner writing a book called 'Get a life' about his positive experiences meeting and getting to know various Star Trek fans.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at work i have a Doctor Who screensaver and thats it and i always get (mostly) lighthearted comments about it on a daily basis
I have dual monitors and as my wallpaper I've a pic from AvP of the Predator and Alien taking up both screens. Also I have the 3-D posters of Alien and Robocop and used cinema stubs stapled to the partition in addition to the stuff I mentioned before - if you saw my desk it's like a movie museum or Forbidden Planet. Whenever I get a collectable action figure delivered to me at work I usually get a small crowd around my desk looking at my new toy. All this and no one says anything - maybe it's just they're arent like your A-holes or maybe it's just the way I caryy myself with it all.

So where do you work then? Think we need to have a word with your IT manager, letting such customisation of company equipment!! With such a bad movie as AvP as well........

:WINCE:

Oh and I have been doing con's for about 12 years and met many a friend through them. So will keep doing them for a good while to come I think.

While I do not really get much hassle about my hobby, except the odd bit of good natured banter.

As TT mentions, I know a group of people that religiously (from Glasgow) go stand out side for hours (regardless of weather), wearing the same thing watching 22 guy run around. Now that sounds stupid to me, at least we do ours in doors! (mostly)

And hey I am happy to admit that I am a Geek to anyone.

:o

I've been going to showmasters events for nearly 6 years, so far i've enjoyed them all, however, i do imagine one day i will stop attending (not yet though) ...if ian mcdiarmid were to go however icould be brought back to the con scene................. *imagines impossible dream*

As TT mentions, I know a group of people that religiously (from Glasgow) go stand out side for hours (regardless of weather), wearing the same thing watching 22 guy run around. Now that sounds stupid to me, at least we do ours in doors! (mostly)

Whenever someone here mentions the "well they're all into football - men kicking a ball about" argument I think of the jocks vs nerds thing and detect some kinda resentment towrds them for being "the jocks". Football is accepted cos it has always been, it's a traditional past-time and is done outdoors and gets physical and thus is manly unlike our nerd/geek thing. I'm sure there's many people here who love football as much as fandom? I'm sure some of them/us would even meet the footie/sports stars at SportsMania or that other show in Bham?

If you work in IT most people are ok with the whole sc-fi thing cos being on the internet and messing with computers and technology all the time is kinda associated with it all anyway although its a kinda sterotype to say techy people are all into sf.

Edited by nicky

Whenever someone here mentions the "well they're all into football - men kicking a ball about" argument I think of the jocks vs nerds thing and detect some kinda resentment towrds them for being "the jocks". Football is accepted cos it has always been, it's a traditional past-time and is done outdoors and gets physical and thus is manly unlike our nerd/geek thing. I'm sure there's many people here who love football as much as fandom? I'm sure some of them/us would even meet the footie/sports stars at SportsMania or that other show in Bham?

If you work in IT most people are ok with the whole sc-fi thing cos being on the internet and messing with computers and technology all the time is kinda associated with it all anyway although its a kinda sterotype to say techy people are all into sf.

I can understand where you are coming from though for myself I really just do not like football. Growning up in Glasgow also made it that bit harder as there is the Celtic/Rangers Religious bigotry that come with it.

Also I am not jealous of them being "jocks" (I really just don't like football) and most football fans are not fit, the players yes are fit. Fans on the whole no. But you can pick any hobby and belittle it. Football is just an easy one.

It is stereotyping to say all IT folk are into SciFi. But stereotypes are usually there for a reason. I work in IT and most of my colleagues (work for a large international hotel company so there's a few of them) like SciFi in some form, but don't think that any would go to a convention. There are a few football fans (but no accounting for taste!)