Manchester Report...

Ladyd

I would like to thank everyone who came to watch and support "Cosplay@Collectormania" and for all of your who entered the competition on either or both days your guys n gals were amazing and i hope to see you at future events.

Big thanks to the Judges who kindly said yes to being there and taking time out of their day to judge the competitions:

Emma Cutler, our resident Judge who's been a Professional costumier for 15 years.

Cher Donovan, Public Relations official and costumier from Orangutancomics

Ian, Pro costumier for The 99th Imperial Garrson who were there raising money for air fare to the US to properly diagnose 'Finn' who suffers with Primordial Dwarfism.

and a big thanks to our celebrity guest judge on saturday Mr. Doug Bradley 'Pinhead' from Hellraiser.

Lastley not forgetting all the Cosplay sponsors for their prize contributions:

Showmasters for providing prize money and venue.

SFX for their 'Mock' front cover.

LC Toys for their Light saber.

The Astral Gypsy for his Artwork and Manga portrait vouchers.

Orbital Manga 'London' for their anime goodie bag.

and Incocnito Comics for their Figurines

On a more personal note i want to thank my staff and the Tech crew who i think were simply amazing and did a bang up job over the entire weekend, so i thank you from the bottom of my heart for helping make the Cosplay what it is.

The Report -

We generally had double the amount of Cosplayers attending this weekend than we did in Midlands which makes it a great success, Saturday we had 29 entries and Sunday we had 12 entries, we even had enough children for a kidz prize on both days. Even though we stated the competition is and hour for both days...... Saturday it did go on for about 15 mins longer due to the amount of entries and me still trying to work out kinks...see possable changes at the bottom of this post for updated info on the cosplay event.

We had so many more Anime & Manga related costumes this weekend which i think was great as last week there were more film and TV related, not that they're bad things, i just like to have a good veriety, which we did manage this weekend. Even i dress up in my own origional creation, Saturday i was cute anime cat girl and Sunday 'Gwen' from Torchwood.

i had a great time and i hope those who attended did too. There are still kinks to iron out but i'll be updating you with every change once it's been approved. If you have any suggestions or ideas for the show please let me know cos the competiton is something for you guys and if your not happy with the way things are being done then let me know what i can do to change or improve it.

some pics -

The sunday cosplayers

09032008730.jpg

The Jawa

09032008724.jpg

Sparks from the Tech crew as the Invisible man (best costume ever)

invisiblemanSMmanchester0308.jpg

Myself and Captain Jack from Saturdays entry

09032008728.jpg

Changes:

Once the cosplay e-mail has been set up and is in running operation, if you would like to sign up for cosplay updates you just need to send your e-mail address to me and when there is another event coming up you will be sent updated information on what's going on and times things are happening and who's gonna be there costume group wise ect....

Having this e-mail will also enable people to:

1.Sign up to the competition on they're preffered or both days online.

2.Attatche their reference picture for the judges.

3.Either send or inform us of their preffered music for when they come on stage.

4.'New idea' You can choose a question or two for me to ask about your costume so you can prepare and answer in advance.

The reason i came up with the new idea is i know how nervouse some of you get on stage, and i do try to make things easy and less nerve racking for the both of us, so if you have something prepared before hand there are no supprises that will make you try to think on the spot which i know is difficult, trust me i've had to do it and i don't work well with improvisation but i've sometimes had to do it and it makes me sooooo nervouse lol.

Midlands and Manchester i think it's good to have a competition on a Saturday, we generally get a lot of entries but the sundays seem a little flacid at the moment this may perk up and i know at LFCC both the Sat n Sun will be really busy, so i had an idea and thought i'd run it buy you guys 1st.

Saturday competiton, dipending on how many people enter dipends on if a question gets asked or not.

Sunday at Midlands and Manchester untill things perk up, no on stage competition but maybe something that involves the public giving you a token for what they think is a great costume, this means when you leave for the day you come by the Cosplay area , drop off your tokens and leave your contact name and e-mail and i total them up when i get home and let you know who the winner is and i'll post your prize to you......what do you think? not sure how it's going to work just yet or if it's going to happen but you get the idea.

Please remember the Masquerade Entry Rules:

You cannot enter the same costume into the cosplay competition if you have done so at previouse SM events unless i have specifically approved it for a valid reason. There is an advantage of me being new so i havn't seen your outfit before but please be aware that i am informed by people about anyone who has enter the same outfit at a previouse show and this can effect your chances of winning anything and may even get your entry dropped out.

It does state on the signing up sheets on the day and in the that bought costumes are not allowed for entrants over 12 years - They should mostly be constructed or adapted by the person entering the contest.

Edited by Ladyd

Well where do I wanna start wiv this. first of all hello again Jackie. Would like to say how lovely it was meeting u. I admit I have seen u before on the costume scene but its was great to properly meet u and introduce myself for a change.

I didn't see Sundays cosplay comp but I did hear it from a distance and I saw parts of the saturday cosplay comp mainly wen Jack Cutler came on stage as I'm a bit biased as he's a good friend of mine.

Was lovely to see group entries too.

Just a random idea but have u thought of giving cosplayer the chance to do their costume as display only. Only saying this as some people have entered costume as past events and want to wear them at another event and show them off more than anything in the cosplay competition, even if they aren't doing it to win a prize. Also some people dont have their costumes fully finished (ie myself wiv my Tonks costume) I personally wanna get my costume as perfect as possible before I enter it but at the same time I wanna enter it just so I can get the judges and the crowds opinion. For example if I wore it at C-13 I would like to enter it but not to win a prize or anything more just so I can try and get myself back into the competitions on my own if needs be. I would rather enter the costume wen I have spoken to Nat Tena about parts of it first.

Not sure if u like this idea but just thought I would give you my comments and thoughts.

Again lovely meeting u and hope to see u at C13! ;)

great to meet you too, i have to say putting faces to online names is great but i think i'll have to start making picture references lol

it's not a bad idea, deffinatly something to consider for the future, just wondering how it would be done...at the moment the only way i can see it happening is when the judges go off to conferre people can come on stage and show off what they have done with out obviously being part of the competitin themselves...almost like intermission entertainment and they can have their pictures taken on stage too or around the cosplay area...what evers easier...but it means you can get your outfit seen and the audience will be entertained while were away.

how does that sound.....

Sounds good to me! Yeah picture referance is always a good idea too lol! Maybe it would be an idea for the judges to see the "Display Only" costumes at the end of the competition just so ppl can get the judges opinions too. Maybe this would be better for the resident judges to do! Not entirely sure but yeah.

I think the Manchester one went extremely well. The costume quality was excellent.

I agree with the Display idea. Especailly for those who want to show the costume before entering it proberly. I think its an idea defently worth considering.

If peeps would like I might do a thread reguarding reference pics. On how best to set them up and what the judges might be looking for in the pics.

Well I was only there for the saturday but the turn out seemed amazing.

I apologise though as myself and my sister couldn't watch the competition as we had to leave for our train :chair: I shoulda chosen a later train! damn unchangable tickets :P

Anywho can't wait for the next stuff, I hope to get my Gum cosplay finished for LFCC :) and maybe enter a different cosplay for C13 :)

A quick note from the tech crew, Both cameron (my minion) and I really enjoyed the cosplay competition. the standard of costumes was very high. (remember we have been doing this sort of stuff for years at different cons and shows!) Personally I think I was robbed (see my reference picture), but I have to agree that I had an unfair advantage with the huge government grant and the nuclear reactor they lent me....lol

A quick note on music. It would be useful for the tech crew if we had music in advance. this weekend we had a limited playlist and occasionally we had to just play something that was "close enough". Obviously over time we will build up a wider collecion of music but it would be really handy if entrants wanted something specific they could supply us with it on mp3 or cd as early as possible.

Just a thought

when signing up as a group entry is it better that you're all related characters or speradic ones...i know if you were all related it would look cool but then if your not and your too scared to go on alone it can be confusing for the audience and the judges....

A quick note from the tech crew, Both cameron (my minion) and I really enjoyed the cosplay competition. the standard of costumes was very high. (remember we have been doing this sort of stuff for years at different cons and shows!) Personally I think I was robbed (see my reference picture), but I have to agree that I had an unfair advantage with the huge government grant and the nuclear reactor they lent me....lol

A quick note on music. It would be useful for the tech crew if we had music in advance. this weekend we had a limited playlist and occasionally we had to just play something that was "close enough". Obviously over time we will build up a wider collecion of music but it would be really handy if entrants wanted something specific they could supply us with it on mp3 or cd as early as possible.

Hi Sparks. You guys did an excellent. I do have someone who would love to join you as tech crew if you are short. Its my brother (the singalur Sweeney on the Sat) he has loads of lighting desk experience and sound experinece.

I agree with the music request. I was told about the music but too late to set up anything so I think it would be easier if people set up their own.

I also agree with the group entrys relating to each other. It works better for the overall impact of the group if all memebers are from the same show.

Watch this space for ref pic topic hints from me. I'll post something very soon.

Hi Sparks. You guys did an excellent. I do have someone who would love to join you as tech crew if you are short. Its my brother (the singalur Sweeney on the Sat) he has loads of lighting desk experience and sound experinece.

I met your brother, somebody on the crew introduced me to him, please apologise to him I was in a bit of a rush and thinking of 5 things at the same time so I didn't get a chance to speak to him properly (probbaly just grunted hello to him as I rushed away :uhoh: )

We are looking at setting up a more formal tech team for showmasters in the near future, we are in the early stages at the moment and will be looking for volunteers at some point. If he's interested then I'll be more than happy to chat (preferably after the show...lol)

Glad Manchester went well:)

Well done Ladyd:0)

Hello to Sparks - yeah you were robbed;)

Well done to all those who entered:)

I also think it would be a great idea for those who are doing display costumes and are easily mobile to go around handing out leaflet or just generally publicising to get a crowd to come to the cosplay event. I know this sometimes automatically happens - as ordinary folk do stop cosplayers and alike for photos etc, but it is always worth mentioning the cosplay event while this happens to guarentee a larger and lively audience. Then those with display costumes could perhaps join Ladyd on stage at the start and can have a walk down before the competition starts. And then in that case it would not matter if it is a repeated outfit.

you could have a "cosplay street team" :P - just a thought....

hugs all

Kelly/Pooks

x

you could have a "cosplay street team" B) - just a thought....

did that once, got asked to be dressed as black cat...lets just say the public esspesially the chavs can be VV cruel....unless you mean at the even it self.

you could have a "cosplay street team" :whistling: - just a thought....

did that once, got asked to be dressed as black cat...lets just say the public esspesially the chavs can be VV cruel....unless you mean at the even it self.

No I mean at the event itself.... just to give your area some extra advertising....x

I met your brother, somebody on the crew introduced me to him, please apologise to him I was in a bit of a rush and thinking of 5 things at the same time so I didn't get a chance to speak to him properly (probbaly just grunted hello to him as I rushed away :lol: )

We are looking at setting up a more formal tech team for showmasters in the near future, we are in the early stages at the moment and will be looking for volunteers at some point. If he's interested then I'll be more than happy to chat (preferably after the show...lol)

Do you have an e-mail he can send to? He'll be at C13 so hopefully he can chat then.

Cookie, I think the audience favorite is a good idea but occasionally difficult to determin.

I met your brother, somebody on the crew introduced me to him, please apologise to him I was in a bit of a rush and thinking of 5 things at the same time so I didn't get a chance to speak to him properly (probbaly just grunted hello to him as I rushed away :D )

Do you have an e-mail he can send to? He'll be at C13 so hopefully he can chat then.

Cookie, I think the audience favorite is a good idea but occasionally difficult to determin.

A possible way to do that would be to ask cosplayers to provide a picture of them in costume, to have a display on the cosplay stand and ballot box...

yes but i'm loathe to post it on the forum and the IM here doesn't work apparantly.

Best bet is to see me at C13 and I can chat to him there.

Edited by sparks

Cookie, I think the audience favorite is a good idea but occasionally difficult to determine.

I discussed the actual logistics of it with Lady D last time at Midlands, and she agreed it was indeed possible...

It takes distributing papers to the audience, on which they can note the number of the cosplay they preferred (give them numbers avoid to have confusion in names for the unknowing audience) and at he end of the show, people just drop the papers in a box...

Easy enough to do (and better than the very approximative "applause-meter")... we do it all the time:)

Keeps people participating and interested, as they want to know if their favorite will be picked up...

Apparently it was not possible this time, no problem, maybe next time?

Was just curious:)

A possible way to do that would be to ask cosplayers to provide a picture of them in costume, to have a display on the cosplay stand and ballot box...

Thats actually a really good IDEA...i may put that into play, though i have no idea what the prize would be UNLESS it's just knowing you won.

Thats actually a really good IDEA...i may put that into play, though i have no idea what the prize would be UNLESS it's just knowing you won.

A kind of printed "award"?

Something that could be framed later?

A kind of printed "award"?

Something that could be framed later?

Why Thank you...lol

Bits of papers are cool!!! Maybe SM could stretch to providing a signed photo from one of the guests...or a SM gift voucher ( for a authograph at a collectormania event....)...Bits of paper a cool though!

Edited by wyrdsister

Why Thank you...lol

Bits of papers are cool!!! Maybe SM could stretch to providing a signed photo from one of the guests...or a SM gift voucher ( for a authograph at a collectormania event....)...Bits of paper a cool though!

Is that ironic? Humor carries bad online:)

I'm serious about that "Award " thing...

(I was for instance more happy with the printed award i got in LFCC for being "judge's favorite" costume than with the goodie bag..)

And for instance if it would be signed by one or two of the guests it would become even more "valuable" (seeing that you usually pay around 20£ for an autograph)...

But If you think it's a stupid idea, then forget it :)

Why Thank you...lol

Is that ironic? Humor carries bad online:)

I'm serious about that "Award " thing...

(I was for instance more happy with the printed award i got in LFCC for being "judge's favorite" costume than with the goodie bag..)

And for instance if it would be signed by one or two of the guests it would become even more "valuable" (seeing that you usually pay around 20£ for an autograph)...

But If you think it's a stupid idea, then forget it :)

No, what I said was : bits of paper are cool...and that's what I meant... I have a treasured bit of paper for signed by judges ( Gino Accevado of Weta and JuliaMcGee, cosplay expert) for my first costume. So bits of papers are cool...

i like the award thing idea, not sure about stretching for autographs though, as we have prizes that cost for the people who enter the on stage competition, this would be like a certificate i would think just stating what you came in the public choice for that event and year thats all.