Midlands report.....

Ladyd

:lol:

i can't belive i just did that, i wrote out a HUGE report and had almost finished it and i just wanted to link to something and i accidentally turned the page off....lost it all.

so here is my second try.

Before i say anything about the weekend i really want to give a HUGE thank you to Cookie for all the advice, hints, tips, do's & don'ts she gave me after the show. it was really nice to meet you in person AND to actually chat with you about stuff, over the net esspesially with the language barrier it can be a lot more difficult to get what your trying to get accross. I really appreciate everything you said to me and as you saw on Sunday i was already changing things.

Catmoo, it was great to see you and many thanks for your suggestion and advice also and for all of your support on here and on the weekend, your outfits were cool and cute and i'm glad you won something.

Ruth - i'm sorry i forgot your online name BUT thanks for helping round everyone up on the saturday it was appreciated greatly *hugs* hope your key is still in one peice and sorry i said 'Kindom of hearts' and not 'Kindom hearts' on stage that was the stage freight kicking in, i hope you can forgive me, next time i'll have flash cards so i'm not fumbeling as much.

Big thanks you once again to the sponsors who provided some great prizes over the weekend,

Orbital Manga, SFX, The Astral Gypsy and Inconito Comics

OK and now for the report.

Saturday -

It went really well i think, the tech crew were amazing, told me things i should and shouldn't do, found music for the contestants cos i had none and were generally supportive through out the weekend 'cheers Sparks'. The competition 'from what i remember of it' *stage fright* was great fun, there are still a few kinks that need to be ironed out but that started changing on sunday already for future events lol.

We had an accidental group entry, 3 people were dressed as characters from Dr who, they met that day and became friends...signed up at the same time and there for were to come on one after the other, the judges were to judge each person and not all together as a whole but that is exactly what happned and there was nothing i could do at such short notice to change that so they won, IMHO i think the girl from Narnia should have one but looking at the judging scores there was 1 point in it and that was it. still people seemed happy enough. The Kids were adorable and rightly so the clockwork droid won the kids entry.

I would like to refer people to the T&C for the competition, it does state on the website AND on the sheet when they sign up that <b>'Bought costumes are not allowed for anyone over the age of 12 years'</b> meaning you mostly constructed the outfit, if you boughts a pre made costume you will not be allowed to enter.

Kidz Winner

ClockworkDroidSMmidlands0308.jpg

Sunday -

It was very quiet but after chatting with Cookie on Saturday i set out to changing certain things. Unfortunatly there weren't enough entrants or audience for a competition on stage, SO we improvised and had a lovely up close and personal judging with 'Robert Englund and Warwick Davies' and myself and Pooks to give the mixed sex judging panel. It's was great and entertaining, we ended up with more of a crowd in the cosplay area than there was origionally sat in the audience AND more cosplayes noticed us who didn't even know we were there *Bonus* also every body won a prize since there were only 4 enties (2 groups and 2 individuals) funily enough they were also from every catagory, film, TV, anime and origional.

Over all -

It went well for a new area.

Changes -

For now Midlands is sticking to 1 competition on the saturday unless i can get an idea of how many people are going to attend the comp on the sunday, which when the e-mail is set up should be easier to deal with as i can book you then for an event by e-mail and you can even send your picture AND music attached.

Most people know that with a cosplay competition you can come as anything within reason so i have there for decided to just have a prize sceme of 1st, 2nd and 3rd place, and a prize for best child entry.

Flash cards are going to help stop me from fumbling my words and i have come up with a bigger selection of questions to ask.

The changing rooms should be double the size in manchester, they were running low on boards and didn't have enough which is why they were small.

Group entries are now back and ready for Manchester and all future cosplay events.

i'm in the process of getting as much music together as i can but if your able to provide your own along with your picture when you sign up thats even better.

As you may have noticed i've pinned some topics on this forum and i suggest you go familiarise yourself with them as some small changes have been made.

For those who had their photo taken by the cosplay area by Giles, you can find them in his flicker account HERE once he's uploaded them and you can contact him at giles@gilesgphotography.co.uk for more information.

I'm really sorry to those people who were expecting a cloakroom, this didn't really happen unfortunatly due to not having enough boards at this event to create and area but there was one provided by the vene, unfortuantly it was £1. this should change for Manchester BUT i cannot guarentee anything.

'The Astral Gypsy' who some of you may have noticed was available to draw your Manga portrait. He should be in our area at future events *fingers crossed* not only that BUT he has kindly offered to sponsor every cosplay event this year to which i thank him kindly.

Hopefully we should be able to build up a nice area for costuming groups to come along and support their charities. If you are in a costume group of any sort or know of any group who'd be interested in attending the event please see what we are able to offer HERE

and thats about it how was your wkend and how do you think the cosplay went? got any pics? i'm sure some will be loaded up later.

Edited by Ladyd

Just popping on to say hey. I had a good weekend and it was good to meet so many cool new people.

Just want to join Ladyd in her thanks for those who attended and entered - lets definately get more people along and make it even better next time!

Ruth, Catmoo, Cookie and Alex. Great to meet you guys and thanks for your help in rounding people up and offering suggestions:o) Costumes were great!

Ladyd - well done, here's to the next one.

Sadly I cannot make Manchester - but good luck all

kX

Sounds like a great event. Good to hear that peeps got the chance to chat and help out.

I'm gald that groups are back. I think that its a good idea to keep them.

LadyD, If you need any help with music let me know. I can find most music.

I also hope that at Mnachester you'll will of more relaxed into your role so stage freight won't be a prob. If you do really have trouble with it I'm happy to help you with that as well. I ahve many years of stage experience under my belt. So any queires feel free to IM me.

Looking forward to seeing the photos and I'm looking forward to Manchseter.

:smile:

iSaturday -

It went really well i think, the tech crew were amazing, told me things i should and shouldn't do, found music for the contestants cos i had none and were generally supportive through out the weekend 'cheers Sparks'. The competition 'from what i remember of it' *stage fright* was great fun, there are still a few kinks that need to be ironed out but that started changing on sunday already for future events lol.

it was a pleasure!

I have to say as stagemanager/tech, it was a good show. Ladyd listened to the advice we gave her and we discussed "notes" after the show which I know she has taken onboard. Hopefully over the next few shows the small kinks can be ironed out and the shows can go from strength to strength.

I'd also like to thank Matt who stepped in with his laptop and music collection :-)

Before i say anything about the weekend i really want to give a HUGE thank you to Cookie for all the advice, hints, tips, do's & don'ts she gave me after the show. it was really nice to meet you in person AND to actually chat with you about stuff, over the net esspesially with the language barrier it can be a lot more difficult to get what your trying to get accross. I really appreciate everything you said to me and as you saw on Sunday i was already changing things.

You are most welcome.. Glad i could help you at least a little :)

As i said, i know it's not easy to organize things for the first time, walking in the unknown....

But you did quite well, for a first time!

Keep up the good work.. and if you still need me, i'll be around!

My report is: Sunday was great.. i was surprised that so many people asked for their pictures to be taken with us..

And winning the competition was just icing on the cake... :)

Dunno what we won exactly, didn't had time to check, i almost missed my Eurostar back...

You want photos?

I only have a few:

image-upload-59-715896.jpg

and

image-upload-39-770542.jpg

Edited by Cookie

LadyD, If you need any help with music let me know. I can find most music.

ANIME...mostly i have a ton of film music but not really much of anime....

Sure. Which ones do you need?

just a range of them really, theme tune mostly from the most popular anime to the not so popular, i only have some cowboy beebop and ghost in the shell.