England in World Cup Final AGAIN

Crostini

Can England Win The World Cup  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Well Can They

• Yes
    • No
    • Impossible To Say

Out of all the odds who would have thought we'd be in the World Cup Final 2007.

Whats everyones thoughts on us winning now?

I think we have a good chance, motivation is high, the team have the desire to win,

BUT

it depends on who we play

South Africa we lost 36-0 in the groups.

Argentina are 4th in the world.

So what do you think?

I think whoever we play (and it's likely to be South Africa) will be a game too far.

I'd love to be proved wrong though :YAHOO:

I don't think it will be 1 game too many. I'm not getting carried away (I didn't think we'd beat Australia) but England look devastating up front at the moment. We do need to take more of the chances we create (Wilko missed a conversion and a drop goal) and we had a great opportunity for a try (srum 5 metres out) but we lost control a little. France had their chances (as did Australia in the previous game)

Take nothing away from England though, they were just so bloody minded and determined (typified by Josh Lewsey's last ditch 'tackle' to stop France scoring a try) the defence was solid and organised. It was a perfect example of how to play with pride and passion.

Whoever we play - surely no-one is going to write off England now

There is no comparison to the side England were forced to put out in the group game against South Africa, and the one who played tonight. In the first game we were ravaged by bans and injuries to key players like Vickery and Wilko who make the team tick.

The misses that Wilko had tonight were unfotunate. I have not seen the second half yet as I was at the cinema, but the three kicks in missed in the ifrst half were a penalty from 45 metres out, a conversion from the touch line and a drop kick from 30 plus metres away. All were painstakingly close, and had the kickers been given the match balls to practice with at the start of the tournament rather than this past Thursday, you would have seen alot more kicks go over. Both Wilko and the Kiwi kicker had asked why they couldn't practice with them - something never done in previous World Cups.

Argentina's 4th in the world rating is a tad out of context. The ratings are done on results, but not against who they play. In football ratings they currently have a scoring scheme in place where good results against higher placed teams earn better ratings. In the world of rugby they do not. So, Argentina's rating is a tad over inflated.

South Africa have stuttered a bit in the past few matches. Performances have not been as good, even thought they have scored points. If South Africa beat Argentina, something that isn't a formality, then the final will be a corker.

Swing low, sweet chariot...Viv La Rosbifs!!

The past does not matter to this team; they're playing it one game at a time, the next game, and thankfully they don't give a damn what you, me, or anyone else thinks. They believe, and that's all that what matters to them.

Can they do it? Who knows. I had an inkling they'd win this week, but I wouldn't have been surprised if they'd lost; it all depended on what France turned up. Or so I thought. I think the way we played to an extent determined what France turned up. And I thought George Smith was going to lead to Australia in stomping all over us last week. So what do I know?

Well I do know that 6 months ago, six weeks ago, even a month ago, I'd have said that getting out of the group and being beaten in the quarters would be a damn fine result based on how we were playing.

We've done better than that.

And I do know that Argentina are a very good team who've had a great World Cup and want to really show that they're worthy of a place at rugby's top table. And that South Africa, as well as being skillful in attack, have a far better pack of forwards than anybody else in the World Cup that we've faced, or could have faced.

And I also know that even if we get beaten beaten like dinner gongs next week we'll have done a damn sight better than 99.99% of the people with an opinion would have believed a few weeks ago.

And I also know that I've had my heart broken by believing in certain British/English sports teams in the past, who just couldn't deliver when it mattered.

But I also know, seeing these guys over the last few weeks, that next Saturday, they'll leave it all out on the field and come back in at the final whistle with nothing left to give.

And I don't know it, but I just hope that if I believe, we'll be at least one point up on the opposition when the final whistle goes.

No confidence.

No arrogance.

Just belief.

And no doubt a roaring-on at the screen wherever I may be.

Anybody else in for the same?

The past does not matter to this team; they're playing it one game at a time, the next game, and thankfully they don't give a damn what you, me, or anyone else thinks. They believe, and that's all that what matters to them.

Can they do it? Who knows. I had an inkling they'd win this week, but I wouldn't have been surprised if they'd lost; it all depended on what France turned up. Or so I thought. I think the way we played to an extent determined what France turned up. And I thought George Smith was going to lead to Australia in stomping all over us last week. So what do I know?

Well I do know that 6 months ago, six weeks ago, even a month ago, I'd have said that getting out of the group and being beaten in the quarters would be a damn fine result based on how we were playing.

We've done better than that.

And I do know that Argentina are a very good team who've had a great World Cup and want to really show that they're worthy of a place at rugby's top table. And that South Africa, as well as being skillful in attack, have a far better pack of forwards than anybody else in the World Cup that we've faced, or could have faced.

And I also know that even if we get beaten beaten like dinner gongs next week we'll have done a damn sight better than 99.99% of the people with an opinion would have believed a few weeks ago.

And I also know that I've had my heart broken by believing in certain British/English sports teams in the past, who just couldn't deliver when it mattered.

But I also know, seeing these guys over the last few weeks, that next Saturday, they'll leave it all out on the field and come back in at the final whistle with nothing left to give.

And I don't know it, but I just hope that if I believe, we'll be at least one point up on the opposition when the final whistle goes.

No confidence.

No arrogance.

Just belief.

And no doubt a roaring-on at the screen wherever I may be.

Anybody else in for the same?

Brought a tear to my eye, that did :YAHOO:

As a former rugby player myself, there is one major difference between the game that is Rugby and virtually every other sport this country indulges in...pride. No matter the game, you have more chance of seeing a rugby player giving 100% than most other sports people. I do not know what it is, but Rugby has that mystery ingredient. Two great games tonight with the Rugby League Grand Final being as passionate as the RWC in the Union Code.

well i can see south africa winning by 10 tonight which should make an interesting final. England struggle against south africa's style of play more than aus,france or argentina but they are playing with much more belief than in the group stages so i don't think we'll see a repeat of that scoreline.

England are still huge underdogs,but that's the way we like it.

can i just add that it's great to see the all blacks choak again after being the best team of the last decade and failing to win still :grump:

Edited by sanguinarium

One thing that has always made me laugh is when a supported of a team says "we" when referring to them. I usually have great pleasure with a few friends of mine who "support" Chelsea and Manchester United when they say "we have won the Premiership", when I reply "I didn't realise you were signed to Chelsea/United" or "I didn't realise your last name was Abramovich/Galzier"...lol :huh:

I must say that England have now beaten 2 of the original 3 favourites. Not bad for the boys.

See now that's another worrying thing. Wilko's kicking has been inconsistent to say the least this WC, and tbh the games against the Aussies and Frenchies should have been won by a wider margin than they were. He's going to need to successfully kick every time on Saturday if "we" are going to win this thing. Anyone else think Lewsey is going to be a big miss?

Still look on the bright side - I never thought "we'd" beat the Aussies in Sydney either :YAHOO:

See now that's another worrying thing. Wilko's kicking has been inconsistent to say the least this WC, and tbh the games against the Aussies and Frenchies should have been won by a wider margin than they were. He's going to need to successfully kick every time on Saturday if "we" are going to win this thing. Anyone else think Lewsey is going to be a big miss?

Still look on the bright side - I never thought "we'd" beat the Aussies in Sydney either :YAHOO:

The kicking in the World Cup from the ones Wilko has missed, as have other top kickers, has been because of the lack of practice with match standard balls. They have been over inflated and last Thursday was the earliest any kickers had to practice with them. Something that has never happened in previous World Cups.

The saving grace is that Johnny's kicks have wafer close from awkard or long distances. I have faith in Johnny doing his bit. He is one of many kickers who have "failed" to produce top drawer performances because of lack of practice with match balls.

Lewsey will be a big dent for the boys, but they have others who can step up. Look for the spirt of 2003 to drag the boys kicking and grunting to the Webb Ellis Trophy for the second time running - a first in the Rugby World Cup.

If England are going to win on Saturday, every single English player is going to have to be at their best. There can be no silly mistakes.

But I believe when the dust settles, England will have retained the trophy

The main thing we have on our side is that we actually HAVE defence! Argentina didn't bother leaving ANYONE back there, they seemed to have an entire team full of forwards, and that's how SA won. Look how much Fiji made SA squirm by shoving them back at every attempt. We may be poor in some areas but defending is one of our strongest points.

As for the kicking - awkward to say really. Although Johnny doesn't seem to be on form (and unfortunately they have Montgomery to attack us with) - the kicks he missed in the France game were all extremely awkward ones that would be at the edge of anyone's limit.

Kicking has been a problem for all nations at this world cup. Kicks that we, as fans, would describe as "OMG" that was a sweet kick are now not going over. Penalties, conversions and drop goals in the easier range are.

So, with the team spirit the boys have, and the down right get down and fight mentality, I think that England will create history on Saturday.

i unfortunately can't see past englands performances in the last 4 years despite the last couple of games. As a result i see a south african win by 10-15pts.

i desperately hope i'm wrong and will be cheering on the boys at the pub tomorrow night.

Regardless of the result england must take a different approach to 4 years ago and start to plan for the next world cup immediately as once again they have an ageing squad.

more than anything i feel that jason robinson deserves to go out on a high.

c'mon the lads

quick note, judging by the comments on here i think most of us are genuine rugby followers anyone wanna confess to jumping on the bandwagon?(not aimed at anyone directly just wondering) I have a couple of colleagues who have just got into it and have watched as much as they can even when england aren't playing, this can only be a good thing surely.

:jason:

The last four years and the first two matches of this tourney should not be taken into account. Post 2003 the team was misdirected. Only when Brian Ashton came in and tried to work out what was good and what was bad did the team make headway. Ravaged by injuries and retirements, England's hand was forced to have older team members in there.

The true England is the one that has played post South Africa in Game 2. That is the one with the true bulldog spirit that got them the title in 2003. People wrote them off in the run up to the tournament, and they went and won it. In the Five/Six Nations, England are always expected to win it. But in circumstances where they have been fancied to lose, they have shocked everyone.

As an ex-rugby player you will find that, with backs to the wall and doubts ringing in your ears, a true rugby player comes into his own. Not afraid to bleed for his team and carry on playing - unlike p*ssy football players.

Come tomorrow evening, the boys will well and truly p*ss South Africa off by being nasty and playing an ugly game. South Africa do not like it when a team stands up to them. In Game 2 the first half was even, but the second half went south. Tomorrow night, the British Bulldogs will scare the cr*p out of South Africa.

In the words of a french man choking on his baguetter..Via Les Rosbifs...