Gabriel Gray - Innocent Victim

AJ Jones

Having only just started watching Heroes on BBC2 and the internet due to no availability for myself when it first was shown over here, I have just caught the episode "Six Months Ago" and realise that the character of Gabriel "Sylar" Gray is not the real bad guy. I personally feel that he is a victim of Dr. Suresh's obsession with finding the "Heroes". If he hadn't been dismissive with Gabriel, then Gabriel would not have reacted the way he did and become Sylar. The same goes with Mr Bennett and his obsession with tracking the Heroes down. He knew nothing of them until Dr.Suresh (Mohinder's Father) contacted him about Claire.

So, I am starting the "Gabriel Gray is Innocent Club"..lol

The same goes with Mr Bennett and his obsession with tracking the Heroes down. He knew nothing of them until Dr.Suresh (Mohinder's Father) contacted him about Claire.

Nope, not true. You'll find out why.

As for Sylar, I have to admit there is one episode further down the line where I actually did feel sorry for him. Got over it pretty quick though!

The same goes with Mr Bennett and his obsession with tracking the Heroes down. He knew nothing of them until Dr.Suresh (Mohinder's Father) contacted him about Claire.

Nope, not true. You'll find out why.

As for Sylar, I have to admit there is one episode further down the line where I actually did feel sorry for him. Got over it pretty quick though!

I must admit that I did read up on the episodes late last night and it said of Mr Bennetts true past..

Why do they refer to Mr Bennett as HRG? Or is that further down the line?

Well, it's not so much that Dr. Suresh was dismissive of him initially, I think, but that once Gabriel came back miraculously possessing telekinesis, he was so excited. In a way he was encouraging Gabriel's idea that being special was everything--rather like seeing a person who has anorexia and exclaiming, "Oh, you look so thin! Are you on a diet?" It's possible that, had Dr. Suresh paused to think and been horrified at the implications of how convenient it was that, after seeing a telekinetic man's address, that Gabriel had turned up with the same ability, that Gabriel would have not become the Sylar we know today. (And before therefore condemning Dr. Suresh as being oblivious, consider that the superpowers most of us secretly try to see if we have are often the ones we've thought about most recently--he probably assumed this was the case.)

However, it was not really Dr. Suresh's fault--it was Gabriel who felt so strongly about being special, and as with many instances in which a "hero"'s abilities have come to light, things got a little out of hand, and in his desperation to be worth more than just someone who could fix your timepiece, he acted irrationally. Dr. Suresh might have been dismissive, but it was understandable considering the situation; going out and murdering a telekinetic, on the other hand, is not so much.

I could go on about this forever, I find, but I have the feeling that I've already over-answered/completely didn't address the issue, sooo... And you don't have to listen to me; I'm no psychologist or anything--I just like analyzing stuff. =)

So, er, what I mean to say is, that it's not that Dr. Suresh was dismissive of him when he left, it's that he was supportive when he came back, but that Gabriel was unstable to begin with, at least momentarily.

Edited by Alexius

Being someone who has recently been trained by the Samaritans, I always look for the trigger point. The point which set off the chain of events. And to me, for Gabriel Gray, it was Dr.Suresh. The pain was always inside Gabriel Gray, but Suresh opened the door. It makes me wonder if they will show in later shows of Season 2 that Suresh did it deliberately under orders from Bennett etc...it would definitely make for an interesting swerve..

Being someone who has recently been trained by the Samaritans, I always look for the trigger point. The point which set off the chain of events. And to me, for Gabriel Gray, it was Dr.Suresh. The pain was always inside Gabriel Gray, but Suresh opened the door. It makes me wonder if they will show in later shows of Season 2 that Suresh did it deliberately under orders from Bennett etc...it would definitely make for an interesting swerve..

Mm'kay. I'll gladly amend my personal theories to contain that.