Storage for signed autographs

Kookie22

Be warned all those that hang autographs in picture frames on the wall: sunlight can do more damage than you might realise.

~fadagaski~

I have mine on a wall that gets no daylight on it; thats one good thing about this room!

But its a good tip for people; even newspaper clippings fade over time and look real nasty, so always take care of anything on paper that you want to keep.

Dude, even if the sun isnt directly on them, I'd still be careful. I jus speak from experience, up until about 6 months ago, i had a room covered wall to wall and the ceiling in posters, and even ones which weren't in direct sunlight were damaged. Not so much as the direct sun ones, obv... But just a warning.. I'm guessing signed photos are more valuable than my Zack Morris posters :-)

what it's actually sticking and when you put the autograph away you can see bits of the ink on the wallet? if so how long have they been stored in there? And did you let them properly dry before placing them in the wallets?

yes, there are little golden spots on my sleeves from the autographed pictures. and yes i let them properly dry before i stuck em in the sleeves. and it's just the photos signed in gold from c4. the other pictures aren't affected. DAMN.........

I've got mine in the plastic wallets that lots of sellers had at C4. I think they are made by Ultra Pro of something like that. They are acid free so your photos won't get damaged in the long run, also they are more durable than the normal A4 pockets you can get, they are made of thicker plastic and are clearer to look through. they have, I think three holes down the side, I brought a binder from one of the sellers too to store them in.

Did anyone else have trouble with the photo toploaders you can get for £1?

Mine made some of Sean Astin's autograph rub off slightly, grrr!

Amanda

I keep my signed pics and posters framed. I have hard plastic sleeves that I take to shows, but a word of advice, anything signed in gold or silver takes ages to dry, even if it feels touch dry. it will be ok in the sleeve for a bit but I get it out, mounted and framed ASAP. if you're framing, mount it, it'll keep the signature away from the glass. I had some nasty surprises and I always mount mine from now on.

And true enough, sunlight can do a lot of damage to photos. :P

• 2 weeks later...

i had no trouble with the ones signed using sharpies but the paint pen ones i got (corey,brent and the lurtz guy)all got stuck to the plastic think it has a lot to do with the pen used the pro select sleeves are best as they're acid free and archival quality you can get a box of 100 for about 15.00 at most fairs :angel:

some qustions :

Do i tret autographed tarding cards ( like the autograph topps LOTR cards) the same way i'll tret an autograph 8x10 ? :D

A bit comfused as to what is the best way to protect my 8x10 , coz

from what i'v read so far the best way is to fram them and put it in a light proff box ...how about framing using a sun blocking glass - i don't knew what you call it , but it is avilebul :P:D:P

Edited by Nili

Um, question coz I'm worried now! I put my signed photos in frames, but at the risk of sounding very stupid, what is mounting & how do you do it? Please help me someone! :unsure:

ok you knew that thing thay put on top of the pic and then the glass ( realy dont knew what it's called) well that is the mounting .and all you need is a hard bord or somthing and just cut out of it an 8x10 holl ...a littel smoller then you'r origenal 8x10 so :

1. you have a hard sorfes on which you put the pic'

2. on the pic' you put the mount ( no glus )

3. then the glass

4. then the frame :-)

Now will some one answer my qustions ???

Edited by Nili

Thanks Nili! I'd answer your questions if I could but I don't have a clue! I've heard of the glass you're talking about but don't know where you could get it, it prob would protect the autographs tho!

It's ok :-)

I knew were do get the glass ..i'm just scerd of what it might cost realy need to do this thow , whaiting wont help :-)

good luck