Timing

chris_mk

• Moderators

I don't think they can really deliberately put the two events far apart due to some people maybe wanting to go to both, just as much as they can't worry about the 'conventions' being near the 'signing events' for the same reason/s. Same with worrying about competitors too.

In the end I'm sure they schedule based on hotel availability, and guest availability, as well as what's best for them too.

The good thing is that they've been announced a good 6 months + in advance, which leaves plenty of time for things like time off, and cash, to be sorted.

• Showmasters Admin

Hi there,

I understand your concern about the 2 events being so close together but unfortunatley it cannot be helped! One of the most important things to bear in mind when schduling events like this is that it has to be done in the hiatus period for shows in The States so that the guests are not filming.

Bearing that in mind there is only a relatively short window for scheduling events, and then on top of we can only use dates during that time where both the guests and the hotels are available!

One of the reasons we have announced the event so far in advance is so that people have plenty of time to save up for buying their tickets, paying for hotels etc, in order to allow as many people who want to to be able to attend both events.

We do consider how these things impact on people financially, which is why we haven't put tickets on sale for Lockdown until the end of September when there will have been another pay day after London, but unfortunatley there are some constraints that we cannot change.

Hope that explains things and that anyone who wants to attend both events will be able to.

Mark :pyth:

I'm afraid Chris is right. This and the Heroes event are 2 I would like to attend, but I am now in the position where I have to choose which one I want to attend as I can't do both..

I can understand Showmasters reasons as explained in a previous post, but it doesn't change the fact that attending 2 events so close together is financially impossible for myself and several other people I know.

Im in agreement with Chris & Del, and although understanding the reasoning behind the closeness of these conventions, it will make it diffiicult for some people to attend both events. Even with the delay in ticket sales, the traveling/accomodation expenses, sorting out time of work, or childcare, will prove quite difficult (not neccesarily impossible) for some of us. I have allready booked for Eclipse, & desperately want to attend Lockdown, & will do my damndest to be there, but with 2 events so close together, & another one im attending in May, will indeed prove extremely difficult, with family, & other committments i have, im sure other people are facing the same predicament.

• Moderators

... but with 2 events so close together, & another one im attending in May, will indeed prove extremely difficult, with family, & other committments i have, im sure other people are facing the same predicament.

Well it does sound like you're doing a lot already .. many of us can't go to every single event going, and simply have to prioritise. Who's to say that Heroes fans are also Lost ones? I know plenty that like one or the other, and not both. These will be my first conventions, so luckily I won't be doing them on top of others as well.

I know it's a shame, but the reasoning behind it all is pretty logical. The more events that are announced, by whichever organiser, the less likely it is everyone will be able to attend everything anyway.

All they can do is offer a reasonable amount of time for people to try and work things out.

... but with 2 events so close together, & another one im attending in May, will indeed prove extremely difficult, with family, & other committments i have, im sure other people are facing the same predicament.

Well it does sound like you're doing a lot already .. many of us can't go to every single event going, and simply have to prioritise. Who's to say that Heroes fans are also Lost ones? I know plenty that like one or the other, and not both. These will be my first conventions, so luckily I won't be doing them on top of others as well.

I know it's a shame, but the reasoning behind it all is pretty logical. The more events that are announced, by whichever organiser, the less likely it is everyone will be able to attend everything anyway.

All they can do is offer a reasonable amount of time for people to try and work things out.

I think there is a LOT of cross-over between the two fandoms. Whilst I totally understand the reasons Mark gave, my concern is that both events will experience lower ticket sales than they might have got had they been much further apart. This may mean that Showmasters cannot get all of the guests that they would like.

One good thing to come out of them being so close is that if someone is coming from another country they can make a holiday out of it and stay for 2 weeks rather than having to fly home and then 2 months or whatever later, fly back.

I did say in my full post that i understand the reasoning behind it.

Im already doing 2 conventions next year, one of which is Eclipse. My limit is usually 2 or 3, but my predicament is them all being so close together. Its not entirely impossible to do all 3, but it is extremely difficult. I also know plenty of people who like Lost & Heroes, and having to prioritise between the two events will not be an easy task.

Fortunately with the tickets not going on sale untill the end of Sept, as you say gives some time to decide, & save. But its not just the case of the ticket, its the travel/hotel cost too.

As i said earlier, i will do my best to attend both events... well `cus i really want to.. as i am a fan of both shows.

• Moderators

I think there is a LOT of cross-over between the two fandoms.

I don't think that's really something that can be proven by organisers to decide to deliberately push apart the two events though - it's not something solid, and I've witnessed as much competition/arguments between Heroes and Lost fans as I have people loving both, so while I'm not saying there's no cross-over, it's not reason enough to consider arranging events around.

I would hope they won't be having low ticket sales with things being announced early, and there only being 800 at each event. Both shows have loyal fanbases, and I think the fact that Showmasters themselves are behind the events will help a lot compared to some new upstart convention companies - that's not to say they're no good, but a proven track record could help a lot.

I guess we'll see :thumbup: and of course I hope that people who think they will struggle to attend both can still find ways around that!

Fortunately with the tickets not going on sale untill the end of Sept, as you say gives some time to decide, & save. But its not just the case of the ticket, its the travel/hotel cost too.

Well the hotel isn't chargeable until you get there which I think helps a lot :P I know some people don't realise that so they're panicking a bit!

So really it's just pay for both tickets, book both hotel times, then worry about paying that and travel sometime later :D

Start playing the lottery :lol:

Edited by DavidB

Such moaners ! :YAHOO:

If you enjoy both shows, and you want to go to both cons, then in the words of a certain bald LFACC guest .... MAKE IT SO !

I work THREE jobs, sell on ebay, amazon, and play.com. And I do at least one car boot sale each weekend. I've little or no free time, and I'm always tired, but I get to all the cons I want to attend ......

Edited by dufresne

Such moaners ! :lol:

If you enjoy both shows, and you want to go to both cons, then in the words of a certain bald LFACC guest .... MAKE IT SO !

I work THREE jobs, sell on ebay, amazon, and play.com. And I do at least one car boot sale each weekend. I've little or no free time, and I'm always tired, but I get to all the cons I want to attend ......

hahaha :lol:

Im glad you can do that, i attend some of the events i want to. But being a full time carer, for my elderly parents, full time mom to 3 kids, having a mortgage to pay, doing 2 events within 2 weeks of each other, despite selling lots of stuff on ebay, is quite tricky . Saying that, i am chuffed beyond words to attend the ones that i do.

Timing for this, hm..I can't say it is good or bad cos well as for conventions I only got the Supernatural one (Asylum 08) in May, but I got some other big NON Convention stuff coming up which will give a major strain on my bankaccount. An upcoming concert tour (whenever tourdates are announced I know how much of a strain on my bankaccount that will take..lol) and then of course Lockdown. This is gonna be my first ever Lost convention so I am looking fwd to FINALLY meet ANYONE of the Lost cast, past and present, on this convention!