Where is the James Q&A at?

buffymon

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll offer my services as a stage - I'll go on all fours and James can stand on my back. Then the problem of not being able to see him will be solved a bit. :P

I got a better idea, you sit on my seat and i can use you as a cushion. Just so i'm raised up a bit :P:YAHOO::D

Thanks to frank for trying to be a diplomat :WAVE:

Edited by hells childe 17

So now you all know - the talk is going to be as bad as the last one.

Only if all the elements (staging, PA, seating arrangements etc) are the same as last time. (I would add that going in with a negative attitude expecting a crap outcome won't help, either).

I certainly won't ever attend another SM talk while it is held at that venue.

I have seen gigs, recitals, lectures, presentations, any number of things at a variety of venues. I have seen great events at crappy venues and vice-versa. And I've seen a venue that was badly used and "designed" work quite well on other occasions. For something like this, a little raising of the artiste and sensible use of even a small PA can work wonders. There's some venues I like better than others, but there are pretty much none that I'd boycott on the basis of a sole bad performance. It would be nice to hear a suggestion that improvements are actively being sought, however.

I find it hard to believe it's the only "suitable" place in the whole of MK but I'm sure SMs have done their research.

I doubt that "the whole of MK" is a viable area to look at. It's got to be reasonably close to the main show. Much further away than it currently is and it can be a bigger logistical headache for SM, not to mention taking people out of the show for a considerable period (one can imagine, quite understandably, the moans if it were say 45-60 minutes walk, or a £15 taxi ride away). After that, you will only have a limited number of venues which are suitable, and not all of them will be available or willing. Look at a hotel geared up for conferences. Room hire there is relatively cheap, but that's usually because it's part of a package - if they have a business conference of a few hundred booked in for breakfast, lunch and dinner, morning and afternoon tea/coffee between conference sessions, a couple of nights' rooms for everyone and then the bar takings, then they'll be on a huge earner, so chucking in cheap roomhire is easy for them to do as part of the package. But why would they hire it out to SM? They're not likely to get any trade beyond the room hire, which will probably require an extra person on duty, just from a health and safety point of view. They probably don't have a huge number of suitable people who would want to come in and work 2 hours on a Saturday afternoon, and if the hotel is only going to make literally a few quid profit, they aren't going to be interested. So if they do entertain the possibility, it will be pricey.

Same with nightclubs and other sorts of venues - they would have to open up especially, have the regulation number of staff on, and they'll make no money other than the room hire, and again, they really won't be 'arrised to get people in to do that for a couple of hours of a weekend afternoon when they will be closed. Local theatres may already be booked out, and some of them are a bit precious about letting other people use even the front of their stage if it has another production's scenery set up on it. Anyway, the cast may be rehearsing or even performing a matinee.

So the current venue probably isn't the only suitable one in MK. But it's probably the only suitable one in MK that's not miles away, is available, willing, and isn't quoting a huge price as a deterrent because they really don't want the business. Which realistically means they probably are the only feasible venue.

I attended a talk in 2003 I think with the Evil Trio from Buffy and it was held in a tiered auditorium. It was comfortable, well lit and everyone could see the guests. I don't understand why this venue is no longer used. Oh wait... no doubt it won't hold AS MANY punters as THE ROOM so SM wouldn't be able to make as much money from the talk.

I really thing SM ought to look at what was said above about JM fans booking first, worrying about the price later. Raise the ticket price by 10-15 quid and give people a DECENT venue, SM!

• Showmasters Admin

I attended a talk in 2003 I think with the Evil Trio from Buffy and it was held in a tiered auditorium. It was comfortable, well lit and everyone could see the guests. I don't understand why this venue is no longer used. Oh wait... no doubt it won't hold AS MANY punters as THE ROOM so SM wouldn't be able to make as much money from the talk.

Thanks for the vote of confidance. Nice to see you feel we are motivated purely by money, although your request we raise the price in the next sentence is somewhat bizarre when taken in combination with that sentiment.

The tiered theatre holds 1400 people; the current venue is much smaller, and we deliberately limited the number of tickets to below capacity so that people wouldn't be crushed in or sitting way at the back. However the theatre is fully booked, and will be for most of the year. Its one of the busiest outside of London, and they are actually building another one round the back of the existing one so they can put all that excess business somewhere. We DID check out various options; this is the best available.

I really thing SM ought to look at what was said above about JM fans booking first, worrying about the price later. Raise the ticket price by 10-15 quid and give people a DECENT venue, SM!

This is the best venue available. We've already made it clear that if someone booked in a rush because they were desperate to see James but were genuinely put off when they found out which venue we are using, they can ask for a refund BEFORE they go. If however, they claim to be so concerned, yet still go, then we will not offer a refund, because that leaves us wide open to anybody who attends going along, getting the talk they paid for, and then claiming they didn't have a good time (whether that is true or not) simply to get a refund.

Are we trying to improve on the last talk? Of course. We constantly try to evaluate and improve on anything we've done before. Hence the change to the way we will be letting people into the talk, so that those who booked early get in before those who booked later, meaning there should be no need for a "mad scramble" (although human nature being what it is, we can't guarantee some selfish fans won't try to create mini-"mad scrambles" within each batch of people allowed in instead of entering the room like mature adults). We do listen to what people tell us; its the assumption that we don't and the presumption that we don't care and won't make the effort that gets very wearing. As one poster noted, if you go in assuming that you won't be able to enjoy this talk, then you'll probably end up being right; people fulfill their own prophecies most of the time.

We are not going to explain every single thing we do to improve our shows; we simply don't have the time. We are constantly working to do so, because that's how we survive and evolve.

Stuart

Thanks for the vote of confidance. Nice to see you feel we are motivated purely by money, although your request we raise the price in the next sentence is somewhat bizarre when taken in combination with that sentiment.

The tiered theatre holds 1400 people; the current venue is much smaller, and we deliberately limited the number of tickets to below capacity so that people wouldn't be crushed in or sitting way at the back. However the theatre is fully booked, and will be for most of the year. Its one of the busiest outside of London, and they are actually building another one round the back of the existing one so they can put all that excess business somewhere. We DID check out various options; this is the best available.

This is the best venue available. We've already made it clear that if someone booked in a rush because they were desperate to see James but were genuinely put off when they found out which venue we are using, they can ask for a refund BEFORE they go. If however, they claim to be so concerned, yet still go, then we will not offer a refund, because that leaves us wide open to anybody who attends going along, getting the talk they paid for, and then claiming they didn't have a good time (whether that is true or not) simply to get a refund.

Are we trying to improve on the last talk? Of course. We constantly try to evaluate and improve on anything we've done before. Hence the change to the way we will be letting people into the talk, so that those who booked early get in before those who booked later, meaning there should be no need for a "mad scramble" (although human nature being what it is, we can't guarantee some selfish fans won't try to create mini-"mad scrambles" within each batch of people allowed in instead of entering the room like mature adults). We do listen to what people tell us; its the assumption that we don't and the presumption that we don't care and won't make the effort that gets very wearing. As one poster noted, if you go in assuming that you won't be able to enjoy this talk, then you'll probably end up being right; people fulfill their own prophecies most of the time.

We are not going to explain every single thing we do to improve our shows; we simply don't have the time. We are constantly working to do so, because that's how we survive and evolve.

Stuart

*clears me throat* Will you try to raise the stage and do someting about the PA system or not? This question keeps being ignored over and over again.

and again I must say I am very surprised that any organisers will make public statements like "we can´t guarantee that some selfish fan..." The way you seem to view your customers (that are the ones keeping the event alive) is very strange. You need to put some policies in place on how you handle your customers.

Edited by buffymon

Stuart that you so much for that slightly more detailed account of the venue selection. It was hundreds of times better than the initial reaction, and I think many would welcome your input.

The thing that I’d like to draw your attention to though is this line:

We do listen to what people tell us;

There are now three pages [almost 4], of people saying that there are problems with the microphone, seating plan, and visibility [stage]. If you’re listening to fans, why did you ‘accidentally’ omit talking about any of these seemingly core issues in your response?. Many posters have also stated they accept that this is the only room available.

If however, they claim to be so concerned, yet still go, then we will not offer a refund, because that leaves us wide open to anybody who attends going along, getting the talk they paid for, and then claiming they didn't have a good time (whether that is true or not) simply to get a refund.

Can also just confirm that as we are all anonymous, how are you actually going to know that anybody who’s complaining were ‘concerned’ prior to entering the room. Are you actually saying there will be no refunds under any circumstances regardless if they are genuine or not?. Is this small print actually been stated to those who don’t use the internet. As I’m sure there is some legal issue here somewhere?.

But people will be sitting way at the back and they won't be able SEE OR HEAR ANYTHING...

Ok the theatre is fully booked but you don't book James on a whim or a few months in advance..these things are organised way, way in advance and if you HAD listened to YOUR customers last time you would have at least thought about it and made a provisional booking...

How can you say you are tring to improve on the last talk? You are only doing it in batches because at the last talk..Alexis Dennisof and ASH did their talk first and instead of taking everyone out from that talk you let them stay.. and moved them all down to the front...So all those who had been queuing for hours to see James ended up sitting from the middle backwards...Do you regard that as good management?

Stuart

No one is asking you to explain every single thing...JUST LISTEN to you customers..We are TELLING YOU what WE THINK...WE are PAYING CUSTOMERS and how dare you call us SELFISH FANS ..

If that is you attitude towards us then you really need to evaluate yourselves because if you want to survive and evolve then maybe you should seriously start thinking about IMPROVING YOUR CUSTOMER SKILLS !!

Edited by Mrs Tigger

• Moderators

Stuart

*clears me throat* Will you try to raise the stage and do someting about the PA system or not? This question keeps being ignored over and over again.

There are now three pages [almost 4], of people saying that there are problems with the microphone, seating plan, and visibility [stage]. If you’re listening to fans, why did you ‘accidentally’ omit talking about any of these seemingly core issues in your response?. Many posters have also stated they accept that this is the only room available.

The bold part in Stuart's quote pretty much explains it - they don't have the time to explain every little detail about how they change/improve aspects of the show.

They can't really guarantee that the talk will be improved to a standard which everyone will be happy with. Therefore even if they did say that they'll work on the stage and sound system, what happens if they do and then people STILL can't see/hear? I think it'd leave them open to a lot more criticism if they went into detail on what they were doing, because I'd imagine there'd still be unhappy people at the end of it. You'll get the typical "oh I wish I'd got a refund!!" .. Maybe they will explain if they feel like they have to, but I doubt they want to be dictated to by forum members.

Can also just confirm that as we are all anonymous, how are you actually going to know that anybody who’s complaining were ‘concerned’ prior to entering the room. Are you actually saying there will be no refunds under any circumstances regardless if they are genuine or not?. Is this small print actually been stated to those who don’t use the internet. As I’m sure there is some legal issue here somewhere?.

The offer of a refund prior to the talk is the best solution. If people are worried about not seeing/hearing James then they don't go. No loss whatsoever. However, as stated, a refund AFTER the talk is open to abuse so concerns need to be addressed and a refund obtained before the talk. That's fair enough, and far better than nothing.

But people will be sitting way at the back and they won't be able SEE OR HEAR ANYTHING...

Ok the theatre is fully booked but you don't book James on a whim or a few months in advance..these things are organised way, way in advance and if you HAD listened to YOUR customers last time you would have at least thought about it and made a provisional booking...

I assume you know the ins and outs of every booking situation that Showmasters go through then? Or other organisers? I'm not sure how much experience you have in running events etc, but it doesn't always go as smoothly as provisional bookings being available. And just because it wasn't booked, it by no means illustrates a lack of 'listening' to customers. It's not like they've always used that room at the stadium for every single talk is it? No, they've used theatres and cinemas etc if and when they can, so I really don't think they enjoy having limited options when it occurs.

It's so easy for attendees to sit back and say REPLACE THIS GUEST! or GIVE US THIS TALK! etc, but the majority have no idea of the work that goes into these events. Any organiser generally does the best they can with what's available, and sometimes the world conspires to f*ck things up now and again I'm afraid. That's life.

Stuart

The bold part in Stuart's quote pretty much explains it - they don't have the time to explain every little detail about how they change/improve aspects of the show.

What do you mean that they don´t have time. They do seem to have time to write very long messages on this thread...but not to answer the questions it seems.

I’m sure that if the room was a gas chamber, and all the people who bought a ticket were going to die – you’d still find nothing wrong with the format DavidB. You are the most infuriating person on this whole forum.

but I doubt they want to be dictated to by forum members.

Have you considered that they might actually be telling the truth, and trying to make the experience better for all ?

Yes, that´s exactly why. Glad that someone gets it :thumbup:

Edited by buffymon

Can you all just stop this now.. It's getting pointless.

I really do understand the Dilemma you guys are faced with, but it wouldn't suprise me if after all this nay-saying that the talk is cancelled altogether..which frankly spoils it for the people who are happy to put up with the venue.

DisneyDude - you say you understand the dilemma, but i'm not sure you do.

A dilemma is an argument forcing an opponent to choose one of two alternatives, both unfavourable to him/her - a choice between two equal evils... Would that we HAD that choice - we don't really, we have already paid for our tickets. Perhaps if you are talking theoretically of attending or not - something no fan of James would even consider, i might add - then your statement might apply.

All we want and should have is a reasonable seat to hear & see the person we are paying to see. We discover that the venue is a very poor one, which nobody could believe they would use after last time. There is no question that we will not come, which will have dawned on just about everyone by now, i should imagine, as we try to maximise our brief opportunities to see James. We don't care about the money - some have come from Australia & USA to be there - it is the quality of contact we dispute.

Who would not be disappointed or furious to find their trust has been betrayed and they can barely see and/or hear the one they have come so far to see??

At the last Talk, James couldn't see the back audience either and at the end, he made a point of walking into the back so we could at least see him for a couple of minutes and take photos.

Raise the stage & check the sound system, not rocket science.

As for cancelling the Talk - i think the legal/contract issues alone would prevent such a ridiculously drastic solution, not just from James' management but from a couple of hundred? irate customers... And 'people who are happy to put up with the venue' ?? that would be the front three rows, mate.

Showmasters/Stuart says they are working to improve and make things better all the time - well, i'm sure they are - pity is, we can't see it.

everyone seems just to want to blame SM for not doing this, not doing that. Not every venue has the capability of easily being turned into a stage etc.
But SM are the organisers here and have a responsibility to the consumer as they (the consumer) cant voice concerns to anyone else. And if the venue cant easily be turned into a practical stage area then maybe they shouldn't try to in the first place.

I'm not going and have never been to a CM talk myself but do understand people's concern here. Maybe someone who is a Marsters fan should start a poll to see how many people are unhappy comapered to those that are in order to justify and see the seriousness of the problem.

All we want and should have is a reasonable seat to hear & see the person we are paying to see. We discover that the venue is a very poor one, which nobody could believe they would use after last time. There is no question that we will not come, which will have dawned on just about everyone by now, i should imagine, as we try to maximise our brief opportunities to see James. We don't care about the money - some have come from Australia & USA to be there - it is the quality of contact we dispute.

Who would not be disappointed or furious to find their trust has been betrayed and they can barely see and/or hear the one they have come so far to see??

In all honesty LoveJames, I think although you’ve told them all this – it seems they don’t really care. They have you’re money, they know your desperate to see James, and they also know that you probably won’t give up you’re ticket.

Even if you do give it up, they also know they can simply resell it onto some other unsuspecting fan, who hopefully won’t dare to complain after the talk has ended [which they’ve already declared pointless if they did anyway].

I love Showmasters and I’m glad to be a part of this community. But I do get disappointed by some of the company ethics now and again, and this is one such case. Why they couldn’t just consider changing [or explain why they can’t?] the layout, PA, or stage – or even react a little bit friendlier – only they know.

I just can’t help feeling sorry for those who buy the final 32 seats; because more than likely they’re wasting their money.

Maybe somebody could tell James personally of the issues when they go to get an autograph. Then perhaps he could help provide a solution, because this is like banging your head against a brick wall.

Edited by frank

• Showmasters Admin

Stuart

Not ignored.

Are we trying to improve on the last talk? Of course.

and again I must say I am very surprised that any organisers will make public statements like "we can?t guarantee that some selfish fan..." The way you seem to view your customers (that are the ones keeping the event alive) is very strange. You need to put some policies in place on how you handle your customers.

I've dealt with Buffy fans longer than any other organiser in this country. I brought Buffy guests to this country years before anyone else did. I've been a Buffy fan from before I saw the first episode - I liked the movie and was interested from the moment I heard they were doing a series. I know Buffy fans' date=' most are great, and I've gained many friends through Buffy fandom. But I also know that there's a small percentage who aren't great, and who spoil it for others (not that this is a problem related only to Buffy fandom - Star Trek fandom has a similar element, as do most fandoms). I don't view most fans that way, but I'm well aware of the ones who let all of us down. If pointing out that those who try to make a dash for it the moment they are let in the doors spoil it for others, and potentially cause injuries, might make even one of those fans stop and think, and maybe act in a slighly more responsible and mature fashion, then I'll gladly point it out.

Stuart

Stuart that you so much for that slightly more detailed account of the venue selection. It was hundreds of times better than the initial reaction, and I think many would welcome your input.

The thing that I’d like to draw your attention to though is this line:

We do listen to what people tell us;

I love the quote marks round the word accidentally, implying of course that I deliberately avoided the question. Thanks, but no. I said we review everything, and I said we don't have time to go into every specific detail.

If however, they claim to be so concerned, yet still go, then we will not offer a refund, because that leaves us wide open to anybody who attends going along, getting the talk they paid for, and then claiming they didn't have a good time (whether that is true or not) simply to get a refund.

Anyone who is concerned has been offered refund, now, before they even have to go to the talk. However we aren't going to provide anyone with blanket cart blanche to go to the talk, and then simply go "I want a refund" As for you all being anonymous, please feel free to come forward at the show. I'm happy when I can put names to faces.

First, we didn't sell out the hall to full capacity, because we don't want to have people way at the back. We could have made more money, but in spite of those who seem to feel we are simply motivated by making the maximum cash, we made a decision to balance maximising the number of fans who can get to see James with not placing people too far back.

And those sitting towards the back are those who booked later, which seems about the fairest way we can do the seating.

The theatre was booked out way in advance.

How can you say you are tring to improve on the last talk? You are only doing it in batches because at the last talk..Alexis Dennisof and ASH did their talk first and instead of taking everyone out from that talk you let them stay.. and moved them all down to the front...So all those who had been queuing for hours to see James ended up sitting from the middle backwards...Do you regard that as good management?

You've answered your own question - we don't consider the way people were brought in last time as the best method, so we've changed it.

No one is asking you to explain every single thing...JUST LISTEN to you customers..We are TELLING YOU what WE THINK...WE are PAYING CUSTOMERS and how dare you call us SELFISH FANS ..

If that is you attitude towards us then you really need to evaluate yourselves because if you want to survive and evolve then maybe you should seriously start thinking about IMPROVING YOUR CUSTOMER SKILLS !!

I didn't call you a selfish fan. However there are unquestionably selfish fans out there. Unless you are one of the fans who treats being let into a venue as the start of some sort of road race, smashing through slower fans and small children like they are obstacles in your path then that comment doesn't apply to you. Sadly, I've seen that kind of behaviour on a number of occasions.

What do you mean that they don?t have time. They do seem to have time to write very long messages on this thread...but not to answer the questions it seems.

I type really fast. I don't have time however to keep coming in and answering loads of questions this close to a show. I spared the time yesterday because I wanted to make it clear we are listening. I'm sparing a few minutes today to respond. I doubt I'll have time to do so again before the show. We've answered the questions as best we can in the time we have available. We'll do our best to put on a good talk, we'll do our best to make sure people can see and hear the guest, because we aren't simply financially motivated like some people seem to want to believe and because we want to provide something fun for the fans, and if you want to believe the worst of us, then you can believe we'll do our best because its in our interest to do a good job so we can sell more tickets the next time. Those who want to believe us or give us that chance to prove ourselves will, those who don't, I doubt there is any point continuing this discussion, and the offer of a refund BEFORE the talk with no strings attached and no need to justify why you want the refund is there. Otherwise this discussion is closed.