New JRR Tolkien book!

The Chidren of Húrin  

13 members have voted

1. 1. How excited are you?

• Can't wait!!
    • Not really interested in the book

I'm quite excited about this new publication, there is an article on the Tolkien Society web page...how about you guys?

I'm really excited too - I've got my anniversary Lord of the Rings signed in the front cover by Alan Lee and I am hoping to get him to sign the new book too - he does such wonderful drawings and paintings

When I last met Mr Lee, I garbled someting about how wonderful he was and I was lucky enough to find out that he knew my forum name form another board! He really appreciated my comments and praise on his work. So people bare in mind, your hero's might just actually be reading what you right about themlol :-)

But at the same time I am also quite sad as this looks like one of the last works to be reworked for publication. I am just greatful that Christopher Tolkien has the dedication to unscramble all of his Fathers writing and dicipher them for us.

Lisa x

You all got there before me... I saw this advertised on Amazon the other day and was very excited!!

In total agreement about Alan Lee - you couldnt wish to meet a nicer man - very gently spoken and humble despite his amazing acheivements. I still have a little space on my shelf for more Tolkien books so off we go on another order.

Rosie xx

You all got there before me... I saw this advertised on Amazon the other day and was very excited!!

In total agreement about Alan Lee - you couldnt wish to meet a nicer man - very gently spoken and humble despite his amazing acheivements. I still have a little space on my shelf for more Tolkien books so off we go on another order.

Rosie xx

Couldn't agree more, Alan Lee is lovely :YAHOO: . I have got lots of books signed by him but still have a couple more, including this one.....I have had it on order from Amazon for quite a while now, not long to go!....so I rather hope he can come to another show.

Hopefully Showmasters will be talking to Alan and getting him and John Howe along!

But in the meantime if you can get to London week after next they're doing a book launch at

Waterstones Picadilly on Tuesday April 17th at 10am.

There will be a daylong extravaganza of readings, competitions & activities

in store. Illustrator Alan Lee will be signing the new novel (10am - 3pm).

50 bookplates signed by Christopher Tolkien will be awarded to the first 50

people through the doors. (:( It's a work day and I don't have any leave spare to get down there early enough to get one)

Bernard Hill will read the first chapter of The Children of Húrin. (I wonder if SM will get him too?)

There'll be other stuff too, apparently including actors from the LotR Musical!

I wish I could go to that signing in London, but it's much too far, (why are they always in London :spew: )

As for the book..I LOVE Alan Lees work, and I could ony hope to meet him one day, but I will definitely be buying it :)

I wish I could go to that signing in London, but it's much too far, (why are they always in London ;) )

As for the book..I LOVE Alan Lees work, and I could ony hope to meet him one day, but I will definitely be buying it :)

I will also have to miss that signing... Alan is from my part of the country so why on earth can't we have some of his book signings down here?!!!!! GRRRRR

I hope you get the chance to meet Alan one day - you won't be disappointed!

Rosie xx

Ahem.............I'm going. :P

(See, there are some advantages in being retired and living in London - and I travel there for free with my wrinkly pass....he he he :()

Gosh, I hope you aren't getting too jealous.....

Ahem.............I'm going. :blush:

(See, there are some advantages in being retired and living in London - and I travel there for free with my wrinkly pass....he he he :D)

Gosh, I hope you aren't getting too jealous.....

Well I am now the proud owner of a shiny new copy of “The Children of Hurin†signed by Alan Lee and Bernard Hill, complete with bookplate signed by Christopher Tolkien. Also a free poster signed by Alan.

The event was really enjoyable: there was even an Orc outside the shop to get us in the mood!

First a book signing with Alan, then a Q&A session with Alan, Adam Tolkien and the publishers agent.

After a short break (and an invasion by more Orcs!)

BernardwithOrc.jpg

Bernard Hill read two excerpts from the book, BernardreadingCoH.jpg

followed by another signing session with Alan and Bernard.

The afternoon continued with an illustrated talk by Alan about his involvement with Tolkien’s work, his work on the LOTR films and a description of his illustrations for the new book. This was made even more enjoyable by the fact that it was not possible to project the illustrations as planned so we all had to huddle closely round him to view the pictures on his laptop – very cosy!

Alan was lovely as ever, remembered my friend and I and gave us a big hug!

DiAlanandme.jpg

:pyth: Walking on air……….