Situations that change the face of wrestling

Rockybalboa

I was thinking about this, over the years situations have arisen that have completely changed the face of wrestling and how we know it. I often wonder what will happen next that will change the face of Pro Wrestling???

As far as I can remember, the first situation was the steroid trial in 1994. When Hogan left the WWE in 1992, Vince pushed Bret Hart as the new face of the WWF and guys like Shawn Michaels and Yokozuna also got a chance. We then went through the "New Generation" era for a while, until that night in Montreal, 1997.

With the Montreal incident, the new WWF "Attitude" era was in force, which saw so much smut and foul language on TV for quite some time. Steve Austin came to force, as did the Rock, HHH, and a new version of the Undertaker. With Bret Hart leaving, it was like open season on who could be the foulest on TV!

Coinciding with the New "Attitude" Era, came the Monday night wars. Bischoff started a trend that still affects the WWE to this day - top stars squaring off on RAW/Smackdown. I am convinced that if Bischoff hadnt of started this trend we would have still been saying the likes of John Cena vs Mr Jobber as our main events. Now the fans are upset if they dont see two big stars in the main event, which is probably harming the product.

Then came the summer of 1999, when Austin/Undertaker got injured and the WWE had to make new stars and fast - so up came HHH, The Rock, The Big Show and Mick Foley.

Because of the shift in what fans wanted, the WWE had to change Austin's and the Undertakers gimmicks when they came back in 2000 (Austin showed his comedic side and the Undertaker had his biker gimmick)

Finally, the last thing to change the face of wrestling was in 2001, when WCW and ECW folded. Vince then won everything, and now HHH runs the show!

So what can happen next to change the face of wrestling? Without a HHH/Steph divorce or Vince wising up I think things are pretty much going to stay as they are!

• Moderators

For a very short while, I actually believed TNA could ... well, not 'change the face of wrestling' so to speak, but at least give it a shake up.

However, in recent months I've really lost any faith in TNA that I had built up. Everything is rushed on iMPACT! and overbooked on PPVs, while those like Joe who could have great main event after main event have been screwed over for Angle and Christian etc - ex WWE talent! Well done TNA.

Eventually, Joe will get the title. I hope so anyway. However, I can't see it having the impact that it could have had in the past year, and it'll be too little too late.

I would argue that the next 'situation' will probably be another breakout star in the mould of an Austin or a Rock. Now I'm not sure who that'll be, or for what company they'll wrestle, but I'm sure there's someone out there fully capable of getting to that level again - and no, I don't consider John Cena to be that man.

Part of me hopes it'll be someone huge in TNA, simply to push WWE to do their best again, but I guess we'll see whether TNA ever get out of the starting blocks and improve any.

Of course something like a HHH/Steph 'problem' would shake things up a lot, as would the death of someone major like Vince .. not that I'm hoping that'll happen, but you know!

The one slightly big move very recently is the decision to make all WWE PPVs include all 3 brands - RAW, Smackdown and ECW. If the PPV quality can improve, that's certainly a step in the right direction, and it could even convince them to end the brand split - though I doubt it when there's such financial opportunity in keeping them divided.

Having TNA get out of the iMPACTzone is another important move in the future .. as is a two-hour weekly show. I'd love the Monday Night Wars back too, but a lot of things will have to fall into place for that to happen.

Everything is rushed on iMPACT!

Hence the need for a 2 hour show. I think they do the best with what they have at the emoment (tv wise) I imagine its pretty hard trying to continue storylines, create new ones, promote ppvs, showcase new wrestlers, and a few wrestling matches into one hour.

I don't think there will be any major shake ups in wrestling for ages.

Whatever it is that shakes up the wrestling scene I don't think it will be something Vince McMahon or Vince Russo comes up with it will just be someone who connects with the fans like nobody else can.

Hogan, Austin and The Rock all had something special and no matter how good people like Shawn Michaels, Triple H or anyone else may be they just don't have that spark that connects on a mass level that can change things.

Vince is trying to push Bobby Lashley as the next Hogan but it won't work because it's not the fans choosing him it's Vince choosing him. It may take another ten years before somebody truly connects with the masses and causes the next big boom in the wrestling business.

I think the next big change will be caused by an increase in injuries to the top talanet. Already we've seen some big names get taken out for protracted periods, a trend that seems to have gotten worse in the last year. As a result, the other big names are having to wrestle more to plug the gaps (Is there a show Lashley ISN'T doing at the moment?!?) and this over-use will just lead to worse problems.

As a result, ECW will fold and the WWE are going to have to elevate some of the 'lesser' names to main billing.

I think the WWE's biggest problem is the lack of a midcard. All the big stars the WWE have ever created with the exception of the undertaker, hogan and to a certain extent Austin, all hit it big at the IC level before being elevated to the top of the card. With no structured IC/US title divisions theres no way to feed the main events.

Too much focus on the top tier talent doesn't allow the growth of other characters and is damaging long term.

Also the lack of competition and wrestlers switching companies has certainly not helped. Think of how so many mid carders made a big impact by switching companies - Jericho went from WCW midcard to WWF Main Event virtually straight away (following a slight depush after his big debut)