Blade: The Series

Quirky Koala

Has anyone been watching Blade: The Series, currently showing on Spike TV in the US?

I wasn't sure about the guy playing Blade at the beginning but he's growing on me. Krista's a good character someone who the audience can identify with without her being an annoying damsel in distress, and the addition of Van Sciver as the bad guy has helped to keep the series apart from the movies.

What does everybody else think?

I don't think it's started in the UK yet but saw some pictures, personally I've never bothered with TV shows whether they came before or after the movie.

I don't think it's been picked up by any of the networks in the UK yet, although it has had some good reviews in the US and it looks like Spike TV may renew it for another season, so we'll see what happens.

Most of the TV shows that come after movies are dire but there is the occassional gem - look at Buffy.

I want to watch this even if it's dire. From what I've seen, "Sticky Fingaz" is now playing Blade (for me, the role belongs to Snipes), and although the first ep was apparently terrible, it gets better as it moves on. I shall be checking this out if it shows up in the UK, though.

Sticky Fingaz hasn't had the best reviews, but I think it's mainly because everyone thinks of Snipes as Blade. Personally I'd say he's the worst bit of the show, but he is getting better.

The first part of the first ep was not great but it got better and overall I'd say that the first episode was good, and once the background of the show and the bad guys are established it gets really good.

It's now rated as one of my must watch shows.

• 1 month later...

Source: THEOcracy

THEOcracy has picked up a post from Jill Wagner, who stated that Spike TV has cancelled Blade: The Series:

Just wanted to say thanks again to all of you who supported me and Blade the Series. I was just informed today that there will be NO 2nd season of Blade the Series. I really enjoyed playing Krista and i hope that i did her justic at least for one season! However, that is not the end of Jill Wagner's acting career. I will keep you guys posted on what's next for me. Again i say thanks for the support. Hey, there is always the DVD right????

The series started off strong early

• 2 weeks later...

Its a shame the series didn't make it, but not surprising. Successful ongoing live action TV series based on comics are rare - iirc, only Batman, the Hulk and Superman have really managed it in various incarnations. WItchblade stumbled to two seasons, Spider-Man got around half of one back in the 1970s, Birds of Prey likewise about half a season.