Apologies from Showmasters

The arguement that if there are 1000 people before you it doen't matter what time the tickets are issued does not hold water. If you do not start issuing tickets until opening then there are 1000 people across three lines therefore most people would get a ticket for at least one of the hobbits. Also if there is one ticket one person people would have a much better idea of how oong things take and you don't get people slipping infront of others who have lined up all day.

Also it may help to have tickets being issued from other places away from the stars making it much more easy to move around. people could then see more clearly what is going on.

In additon there are obviously people travelling great distances for these events and it may be a good idea to have a set number of tickets available before had which have a time allocated to them. These could then be allowed at the beginning of an hour and remaining times would be for those who got tickets on the day.

These events are normally much better than this, perhaps it is just too big for it's own good, in a venue which is too small. The event was hampered by the fact that those looking after the guests didn't even have some tickets this morning and had to go to a stationers to get some. This is something that should have never hapened.

Better luck next time and some reserve tickets really would help, as people outside at midnight is not good for anybody.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a good item today. Met Sean Astin, but the queue thing should have been done a hell of a lot better. They should have limited the amount of things to sign to 1 item per person. They were dealers from stalls taking loads of stuff to be signed and it was bang out of order.

Dealers shouldnt be allowed to do that, and fans should have only been 1 item to get more people seeing them. No money would have been lost and a lot less people would have left unhappy.

I hope next time you have a guest that big ( and Elijah Woods not even that big a star. Hes in LOTR and Flipper- come on! ;) ) you sort something better out.

all the malcontents that are complaining now would probably have argued that the doors should have been opened earlier so that they didn't have to pointlessly queue for so long? Am I right or am I right?

Sorry, but you're wrong. The main complaint is that the doors were opened earlier and the tickets issued an hour and a half before the scheduled opening time. Either the event is advertised on the basis that you can get your tickets before the scheduled opening time, ie you can pre-book, or it isn't. This event wasn't, and therefore those who turned up well before the scheduled opening time, joined the queues, and then learnt by word of mouth from other customers mainly that the tickets were no longer being issued were justifiably upset.

The mood on this forum is clearly split between those who had a great day - and who didn't, as it happened, want the LoTR guests' autographs, and those who felt it was a very amateurish affair - being in the main those who did want the LoTR guests' autographs.

It's not the guests' fault, but this was a shambles. Wrong venue, too many high-profile guests with inadequate organisation blown off-course by late changes of plans by New Line Cinema which the organisers weren't up to coping with. Poor queuing arrangements, poor or non-existant communications, and an apology here from one of the organisers' mum which says it all really.

Edited by Loremaster

I'm only glad I didn't go. Had a wonderful afternoon out at Brentford yesterday, and spent today with my family!

Shame it didn't all go rosy. Maybe a few Star Wars guests and a few less LOTR guests and things may have run smoothly ;-)

:angel: Wackazoozle! lot of posts!

I feel like everyone is ganging up on stuart. I do understand how you feel Stu, I mean I had no idea about the tickets and it was practically impossible to get there in the morning, even if we did leave at 7:00am. And so we missed out to get an autograph with the Hobbits which was extremely disappointing! But I did thoroughly enjoy the day today! Being able to see Elijah in real life was great! And seeing all the other guests was great. Though it was packed. All in all I am glad I went!

You have to take the good with the bad, right?

I think people enjoyed themselves even though they were disappointed.

I just think that the tickets should be issued as stated, not before not after, and the doors shouldn't be opened untill the stated time, because it isn't fair for other people.

We were told that 'you can't get the tickets for Monday today, only on the day' (quote a worker of C4) But as I called The Centre:MK. The nice lady said that they were giving out the tickets for monday already at around 4 or 5pm. Please make it fair for people, otherwise people will get upset and angry. If you say something, then keep your word. Please.

Showmaster, maybe you could get Elijah Wood and the Hobbit gang to come next time in April, as a talk about the 'Return of the King.'

Advertising for them, enjoyment for us. Afterall that's what their agents view it as mainly.

But I think it would be hugely anticipated by my fellow people here. And it would give other people the chance to see them. Well, what do you think? Would it be possible?

How do you get them to come anyway? (random)

Well, in conclusion, Thankyou for an immensely enjoyable day, though the disappointment, I got some manga :angel: and had fun! Can't wait for C5 and hopefully hobbit heaven again!

sincerely with love

:angel:

I'm new here and this was my first event so I've been reading all about the problems with interest.

Luckily I was able to go Friday and Saturday to see the people I wanted and without exception they were all really great, even though some were tired with jetlag etc. Friday was pretty relaxed with plenty of time to chat to people and wander around.

I don't live far from MK and know how busy it can get on a Saturday anyway so knew it was worth getting there early. Only wanted to see Anthony Head and when I arrived at 9:30 was given ticket 227 and had to wait until almost 1pm to see him but it was well worth it - lovely man. Pity he wasn't personalising and having photos taken with you at that time but I'd be stupid to complain as just the opportunity to meet and talk to him for a few minutes was a privilege. Wouldn't have minded seeing Kristanna too but had spent enough over the two days and her queue was massive all day.

I thought the virtual queueing system seemed to work pretty well (and details of how it worked were on the website - someone claimed they weren't but that's where I found about about it) although some kind of big screens dotted around the place would be good where the numbers can be updated on a computer and made clearly visible from different parts of the hall. Given the number of people just hanging around it was a minor pain always having to wander past his queue to see what was written up on the board - which didn't always stay in sync with the whiteboard round the side. But overall I was very glad not to have to stand in a line for hours on end and could go off and do other things.

Common sense told me Sunday would be a nightmare with such popular guests and while in an ideal world it would have been nice to meet them, I wasn't too bothered about it so didn't even try to get there. Unfortunately at an event such as this where there are no advance tickets and the numbers turning up can't be controlled, you're naturally going to get some disappointed people. I know from queuing for concert tickets over the years, people will camp out all night to make sure they get the best seats or whatever as I've done it myself, especially when a big arena band plays a small club. You have to be prepared to deal with that.

I guess if they were the only people you wanted to see and you missed out it's a pity and I know some people travelled a long way but it's not the end of the world and I'm sure there will be other opportunities. They can only sign so many things in one day and I'm amazed they got through the numbers of people they did really, given that they tried to make time to chat to each person as well.

Maybe the organisers were overwhelmed with the demand but I have to give them credit for being able to get the people they did and giving everyone a chance to meet them. I saw the people I wanted to and although I was on my own, had a great time wandering around and soaking up the atmosphere - despite more than a few shoppers making snide comments about saddos and geeks spending their money on this stuff. And I look forward to going to the next one - especially if some of the already mentioned guests are definitely going to be there.

Off to another event in London in a couple of weeks so it'll be interesting to see how that compares. I'm sure a lot will be learned from this weekend but I can only say I liked what I saw, didn't have any problems and appreciated the opportunity to meet some people I didn't think I ever would.

Unfortunately you can't please everyone all the time and it's a pity there were so many people and the problems naturally associated with that on Sunday.

----------------------------------------------------------

"Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes

They got them hoppy legs and twitchy little noses

And what's with all the carrots?

What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?"

You guys tried you best and i personally think you guys did an great job, heck there were crowds and crowds of people give them a break, they couldnt get everyone to meet the guests they wanted to meet.

I just wanna say you guys made me very happy today and ill def be coming over saying a huge thankyou tomorrow,

thanks guys :angel:

:angel: Well i must say that, OK the ticket system should have been put on the web site as important information, but i think this system was put in place due to where it was held, the amount of people who did not know about this event who turned up for a day's shopping and used tickets just for a photo was just a bit to much and it should not have happened, and after speaking to some of the stars there this turned out to be very true.

I must say that Showmasters done a great job and it all went well, there were lots of happy people who got what they went for and some who did not but you will know for next time. I have been to a lot of show's like these and by far Showmasters is one of the better one's, Jason and Mark who run Showmasters do a hard job and i cant fault what they have done.

Well done Showmasters. :angel:

Wozbit

Hi, today was good, but disappointing for a lot of us. That's all, try and see everybody's view point. I'm not having a go at the organisers as such, I just feel it isn't good practice to make big changes without notification. If anything that's the main bone of contention.

I'm very happy for all the people who could get there at four in the morning and got their autographs, unfortunately, not everyone can do that. Parents with young children for exemple, people who work in hospitality ( I was working till 1 am Sun Morning) or other jobs. I hope you can appreciate my, and others, point of view. As for tomorrow, well, my partner doesn't finish work till 9:30, so that's not really an option for us. I'm not worried, there will be other opportunities, and I hope a little less screaming...lol

i think the guests really appeceatied when i said to the hobbis thanks for flying over to collectormaina beacuse i am sure they must be jet laged and stuff, i hope loads of other of the forums people said thanks too HINT HINT or they may well say thanks tomorrow!

This is random but i said to elijah that i was really sorry about those people that were screaming him and grabbing him and i hoped he didn't think any less of his fans due to this, and that he would come to another event in the future.....for the record he said he would!!!!!!

Well it is true. Some people go WAY overboard and I feel bad for Elijah and the others that have to go through it.

Just imagine 100's of fan girls screaming your name and trying to get a picture of you. That would be quite scary. But Elijah was soo good as to sit and endure it the entire time and he kept on going.

I would have been like, I can't take this anymore, please back away just for a minute. Let me Breathe, hehehehe. Like Dom said, "No wonder the Beatles went F**cking Insane." ;) .

I have so much respect for those guys, even more so now.

Cheers!

Edited by Rachiepachie2001

yep i think eli was terrified and i wanna kill those fecking morons........ANTI SCREAMERS CLUB/ altho i must confess, when elijah was upstairs and telling every one to scream, i did. elijah says, i do...........

Yeh i had a great weekend, i just wished once people had taken a picture of any of the hobbits they'd move and let others take some photo's. I only got a glimpse of Frodo, and i couldnt see the rest of the hobits as they were blocked by so many people.

Well it was a long day but worth it. We arrived at MK at 8:45, after travelling up from Southampton. They were already onto the second books for Elijah, Dom and Sean but we grabbed tickets anyway. We then waited until 5:15 to finally get to Elijah, and around 6:00 for Sean and Dom but we *did* manage to get all the autographs we wanted. Sean was still grabbing people for photos every time he saw a camera pointing at him - whether you wanted one or not! Elijah and Dom were still cheerful and willing to stay to finish signing so no-one left dissapointed. Honourable since they must have signed thousands between them.

Yes, the venue was packed and crowded but towards the end of the day you could walk up to most of the celebs and get the autographs you wanted. Granted, some like Anthony Head were still a little busy but we still managed to get his as well.

If Showmasters want to increase the number of celebs they are getting in then they seriously have to think about a change of venue but with current numbers it seemed fine. The only gripe I had was some of the staff who were just aggressive and swearing. One mother and her young child had to listen to a torrent of f**k this and f**k that from one guy at Iyari Limon queue - hardly professional!

It was a four day event.......... If you can't be bothered to go for more than one day then what do you expect??

Rather than moan about missing the Hobbits yeserday, why not go back today... It's not going to be half as bad.

Get the day off like the rest of us...

I had an excellent time. I got to meet everyone and knew what to expect so nothing really bothered me.

The only problem I had was with the guy looking after Kristanna's queue on Sunday (guy in the Newcastle shirt). He kept loosing his rag and swearing at people and calling people f***ing idiots. Doesnt really put SM in a good light does it.

Ok I've been to all 4 collectamania shows and each one has been more and more disorganised! They seem to learn nothing each show! Each time has been busier!

Granted I keep going back so it can't be that bad - but its purely the guests that keep me going! Not the show!!!

Its a simple fact that if something is advertised and not carried out its going to **** people off!! Don't sell tickets early. The costume competitions hardly ever take place - in fact at collectamania 3, despite being billed for 3 pm it didn't take place until 4.55pm - by which time all the people in costume had got fed up of waiting and gone home!!!!

Granted they have been trying to improve things with the virtual queing - but it simply doesn't work!!!!

First of all it was very difficult to find the people passing out the tickets in the first place - then you had no way of knowing when your ticket was called apart from going back every so often and checking! How about having a PA system to announce ticket times?

The system also needs to be run with a little common sence!!! For some of the actors (not LOTR) I had tickets for autographs and when I went to check the numbers there were literally only 2 or 3 people in line - great I thought - only to be told I couldn't go in because they were only up to number 270 when I had 294. Come on people - not any of this "its more than my jobs worth" attitude - common sence - if they're is nobody in line let people in - your only slowing the system up!!

Also if stars are going to finish signing early (Peter Weller) then let people know!!!!!!

Staff at the event were clueless as to what was going on!!!

I have also tried emailing the organisers on numerous times to find out information prior to the shows - not once have I got a reply. I would have thought that by now the organisers would have found their feet a bit more and known what sort of crowd to expect and fine turned they're act a bit - but it doesn't seem so.

Lessons can be learnt from yestedays problems..

Firstly, the event IS FREE.. therefore the numbers that turn up CANNOT be controlled as in a ticketed event..

I, for one would not like to see a change in venue and certainly would not like to see advanced tickets being sold.. I have a little experience in attending these events and realised that to try and guarantee the autographs, then I had to get there early..

The virtual ticket system is posted and worked at C3.. C3 was my first Collectormania and I quickly learnt how to use the virtual queuing system effectively..

However, here are a few observations..

1. The one ticket, one person policy was positive and prevented one person getting a ticket and then allowing hoards of friends to join them, thus "pushing in".

2. Dealers! Restricting the number of autographs per person should sort them out.. perhaps two or maybe three.. Obviously, the dealers and their helpers get in before the public and no doubt join the queues for the virtual queuing system first.. This is unfair..

I suspect that perhaps they may pay Showmasters for this.. If that is so and the revenue this provides allows Showmasters to provide more guests and better quality, then go ahead and we will have to accept it as a fact of life!!!

2. Don't use raffle tickets for the virtual queuing system.. This will stop people buying their own from a local stationer and pulling their own out.. or even worse, selling duplicate tickets to the unfortunate!!! (I have no evidence of this, but there was nothing to stop this from happening and have already read posts that some people were selling queue tickets!!!!!

3. Whatever virtual ticket is adopted, the staff MUST collect and destroy the tickets when used.. Nobody took mine and I could easily have joined the queue again and got another autograph, or hand my ticket to another or sold it. I didn't.. but there was nothing stopping me from doing that..

4. Have a whiteboard for each guest so that the latest information can be written.. (AND make sure it is up to date)

5. You have a computer/internet access at the show.. Post the latest information on the website as early as possible. I know you posted the Kane Hodder appearance quite early, but Friday and Doug Bradley??

6. Just an idea!! How about allocating one of the three days as a day that you could guarantee an autograph (in limited numbers) by pre-purchasing an autograph ticket.. Maybe a certain number could be sold on the internet and a certain number be available near the end of the previous day.. At least it would allow people who have to travel some distance an opportunity to plan.. Holders of these tickets could have a time band that they are guaranteed to be able to join the queue.. Not many are needed.. perhaps 20 per hour!! just for the one day.. Don't know how to stop the dealers getting them, thoug!!!! Best of both worlds..

Thanks Showmasters for C4 and giving me an opportunity to further my hobby..

Don't let the negative posts put you off doing any more.. Just take a rest, reflect on the successes and failures and start working your ****s off to make C5 even better..

Just make sure that whatever system is adopted at C5.. make sure the nuts and bolts are posted on the website to give people an opportunity to plan their time effectively and draw up their own battle plans!!!!!

The only gripe I had was some of the staff who were just aggressive and swearing.

The security guys at the Andy Serkis / Sean Astin stands on Sunday annoyed me. There were a few people at the side, well away from the actual signing area and the queues, trying to see the actors and take a photo or two. It was a small crowd, and no one was pushing; everyone was polite. But for some reason, whenever anyone stood on a low wall (which was only about a foot off the ground) to take pics, a security guy gestured for them to get down, even though he was standing on the wall himself (in what looked like a deliberate attempt to block people's view - call me a cynic).

After a few minutes he was joined by another security man, who started telling people not to even put a foot on the wall, saying in a self-satisfied manner: "If you want to see them, go and join the queue like everybody else."

This annoyed me as it was impossible to "join the queue" by this time. All anyone was trying to do was catch a glimpse of Andy and Sean, to say they'd seen them; there was no need for anyone to be rude. I didn't see how a few kids taking pics of the stars they'd come to see (and probably couldn't) was hurting anyone. My blood started to boil and I had to walk away, but my wife stuck around for a few minutes and saw the second security guy pocketing what looked very much like a freebie autograph. Hmpf.

For me, Collectormania 4 felt a lot less friendly than Collectormania 3. Sure, there were many, many happy, satisfied people. But if you visited certain areas, there seemed to be a general fug of disappointment and frustration in the air, aided by the fact that even getting a glimpse of the LOTR actors was hampered by screens and jobsworth security.

I'd like to see future events moved away from the shopping centre to a specialist hall. The success of the early Collectormanias may have been helped by the location attracting passing 'trade', but the scrum I saw on Sunday suggests that the event has outgrown the venue; it no longer needs intrigued shoppers to bolster its attendance.

I also think it would be a good idea to erect a stage somewhere, where the higher-profile guests could put in a public appearance at some point during each day (say a few words, answer a few questions), so that the people who haven't been lucky enough to get tickets to meet them could at least see them. Being able to do so would, I feel, make people's days a lot happier and satisfying. Everyone knows that they might not be able to meet these people, but many don't understand why they aren't even allowed to see them.

Best wishes -

Darren

What upset me:

Said doors open at 10am. I got there at 9am and everyone was already queuing so I got no ticket for Elijah or Sean.

Awesome parts - I got to see Dom and got hugs, I saw Andy just for a hug as I met him last time, Sean hugs (on my friends ticket) and Elijah hugs! (ohmigod he was just wonderful). I only got in to see Elijah as I waited till the very end like 6.20 - and the security guard was amazing and said three people more could go in and he let me and my friend in plus one other person. I was so so so grateful to him as I thought I was going to miss out.

The guests were all amazing and big thanks to them for being so brilliant.

And I agree the screaming girls scared me, so they must have scared the guests.