The Hotel Bar

Guest WaterBoy

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously every one is working too hard to come in it must be CM10 - hang on a minute that's not until next Friday :YAHOO:

Well they should be working hard practicing their alcohol consumption. *opens doors awaiting the stampede*

Been chatting to Dave the Balrog downstairs and I think he may have a point, we really need to get this place ready for C10. So...

Towel Rack for John

Supply of J20 for Bob

Mobile phone for Brandi

Cappamochalattechinos for Pit Bosses

Stash of vodka for Jola

Widescreen TV with back to back Blakes Seven and Doctor Who for Stuart

Have I missed anything?

Paul

Been chatting to Dave the Balrog downstairs and I think he may have a point, we really need to get this place ready for C10. So...

Towel Rack for John

Supply of J20 for Bob

Mobile phone for Brandi

Cappamochalattechinos for Pit Bosses

Stash of vodka for Jola

Widescreen TV with back to back Blakes Seven and Doctor Who for Stuart

Have I missed anything?

Paul

the rest of the alcahol for the crew...

A

Hi

I started thinking about what I would write in this post shortly after I had checked out of the crew hotel on Monday. It was just after 1200 and I had booked a taxi with Raffles. Looking at the text I was sent with the cars registration, that it was a silver Merc e-class and the fact that driver knew someone at SM called “Stuart†(who?!?) I think I was driven by the company boss.

Before it had arrived I was standing outside and I started thinking about the weekend. When you are crewing you lose all concept of time. It’s like it elongates and stretches. Standing in the car park, with heavy clouds floating overhead I realised that it was only a few days beforehand that I had checked in. In those few days nothing had really changed in the world. People had been born and people had died, but in the general scheme of things, the world was generally still the same.

But then I realised that some things had changed. A vast number of people had travelled long distances to meet the stars of their favourite files and TV programmes in a shopping centre. These people had a great time and have memories that they will cherish for a long time to come, together with autographs that will feature prominently in their collections and merchandise that they will proudly play with or display. In an incremental way, these people’s lives have been changed.

That’s quite a big thing really.

What’s even more amazing is that the people that helped do all this are not too dissimilar to the fans that they saw over the weekend. They too got up early, went to bed late and drank too much! They laughed at the antics of some of the guests and felt sad when the show reached its inevitable conclusion.

This last show has been an unusual one for me. For the first time in a very long time I have spent the weekend working solely in the end pits. On Friday I took cash for Bonnie Bartlett, on Saturday I managed Lance Hendrickson’s queue and on Sunday got the chance to sit next to Peter Graves (and his wife). I do not know what caused this to happen, but I will be the first to admit I quite enjoyed spending my weekend in a pit instead of over the whole site. Although it meant I had a more relaxing weekend, I was far from lazy. It allowed me to brush up on decaying skills and gave me a chance to speak the public that came past my various stations.

I have been kinda hoping for a more normal crew job for some time, and although I still have a hankering for being a runner, I must say I really enjoyed the weekend. Not only did it give me a much needed chance to chill out a bit, but it also allowed me to see that things really do work very well on the crew. The controls, systems and processes that are in place are good.

Sure, whenever you get three or more crew together, the first topic of conversation is usually about what we need to do to improve, and we will constantly strive for perfection. But this last weekend, I really got a good chance to see that things really are working very well. There were a couple of items of concern that were raised at the dead dog drinks on Sunday night, but in the main everything went very well. Even the high “newbie†population did not distract from the fact that the crew seemed to be working as one team. A team I am quite proud to have been part of.

In closing I shall round off with some miscellaneous loose ends from the weekend. Some you might remember, some you may not, but all of them are highlights of the weekend for me;

- Isn’t two backers that hairy guy in Star Wars?

- Hope Stoat is at Manchester!

- Thanks for the pizza James (we need to get that guy at Costco on the crew!)

- Guess who was driving when the pump truck went into the door?

- Josh looks like a young Roy Schneider

- What should we do about Shabs?

- Was Jola sending me a picture of her evening meal as part of some crazy crew thing with her phone?

- Ohmygod someone just said hello to me!

- Yep, it really was Jack Nicholsons ear!

- Tray – You cannot be regarded as newbie after being molested by both James and Stef!

- Shabs – Remember autographica when you ask me take pictures of you and you female retinue.

- Must not say “This sharpie will self destruct in five secondsâ€.

- Roxy’s camera is just soooo Roxy

- Remember to look for the hatch!

- Don’t you just hate it when you get to the end of a weekend and the chat that wanted to have with someone never gets to take place, and you think that you would have looked a fool if it had?

- The Order of the Gloves – Like the Knights from Monty Python, but in Crew shirts

:P

Paul

Edited by WaterBoy

I think Waterboy swallowed War and Peace ;) how long was that post ^_^

And Alex now you have developed your taste for alcohol how many buckets would you like?

*Confiscates magic water from Alex and proceeds to drink it*

I think Waterboy swallowed War and Peace :wub: how long was that post :poki:

And Alex now you have developed your taste for alcohol how many buckets would you like?

*Confiscates magic water from Alex and proceeds to drink it*

I think I have developed more than a taste.. lol.. I feel better generally now, and on Saturday I woke my room mates around 11am, to go down to the bar, only to find they were too tired.. I phoned the fellow poker society chairman and arranged to meet him in the union bar.. Only to get their at 1130 and find it CLOSED.. I kicked up a fuss and stomped back to my flat to compalin to my flat mates.. hmm.. slightly worried by this new behaviour..

and agreed... War and Peace, and the revised version.. lol

A

- Was Jola sending me a picture of her evening meal as part of some crazy crew thing with her phone?

haha - no that was to make you jealous as I got to have the lasagne on Friday Night, when it was sold out on the Thursday when you wanted it..... :D

Barman! Barman!

Where on earth is the barman when you want him :YAHOO:

I could do with a nice strong hot toddy - been suffering with the head cold and sinusitis from hell all week :dance:

*Finds the comfy chair by the fire in the corner and sniffs into her hanky*

I could do with a nice strong hot toddy - been suffering with the head cold and sinusitis from hell all week :dance:

I feel for you hon... I have the flu, and I've been running a nasty fever all day. Have barely left my room. :dance: And sinusitis is horrible!

*passes you a drink* since the barman doesn't appear to be about :YAHOO:

• Moderators

Barman! Barman!

Where on earth is the barman when you want him :headscratch:

I could do with a nice strong hot toddy - been suffering with the head cold and sinusitis from hell all week :YAHOO:

*Finds the comfy chair by the fire in the corner and sniffs into her hanky*

I don't know where he is hun