The Most Important Poll Ever!

Ice*

What should Showmasters do?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. I really don't want to miss the football!

• Close the show early.
    • Have screens (plasma, projectors, or of any description)
    • PLEASE, PLEASE SM PUT ON THE FOOTY!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't think SM would even contemplating this for attendees. A TV screen is gonna cost. Why make the TV thing happen when all you have to do is go to the nearest pub? And besides the con closes at 6pm.

i would rather watch grass grow that watch or listen to the stupid game every time we look in a papre put on the tv or radio it is all u bloody hear about i cant wait till july the 10 im praying endland DONT WIN the blood cup or we will still be :thumbup: hearing about it in 30 years :gorgeous:

of course, if you're starin at a screen, you can't walk too far, thats what i'm thinkin of :gorgeous:

there's no economic value in it for SM. sure, it keeps ppl in the venue - but they're gonna be more worried about the screen than autos et cetera. and when closin time comes, they still have to be kicked out - do SM want to set up screens outside, since its before the match is over?

Game kicks off at 4, show closes at 6.

i understood the show ended at around 5. and they're gonna need to rent for extra time to hold it open specially for the match.

anyway, how do you watch a match without gettin drunk? which isn't exactly suitable at the venue.

nicky - i agree, the thread was haywire. i suspect it was closed in some way only the mods have - standard-view third page was entirely invisible.

people who really want to watch the whole game will p*ss off to the pub in time for kick-off anyway (tricky decision for them - the big match atmosphere in a pub
then the priority is clear - match, or event? if the match is so important you'll leave anyway. so why bother with a screen, when you can bring your own radio??

and given that one of the teams playing will be the national team of most of the attendees

there's a hell of a lot more than just the english - and England aren;t the national team for scotland, wales, republic of ireland or northern ireland. (fair enough, the last of those is debatable, but not the rest.)

thats without counting overseas visitors, of whom there WILL be a considerable number, no doubt including germans. considering the trouble being caused in germany by the english, you REALLY think the germans will want to risk that at an event where they're supposed to be enjoying themselves?

I didn't see it as a forced imposition of German cultural values on me

it HAS been mentioned in this thread that its supposedly vital if there's any national pride. THAT is where i find its being imposed - we HAVE to have it at the event, because of NATIONAL PRIDE.

as i've already stated the behaviour of the english in germany is hardly something to be proud about - and i'm not on about the match, but the supporters. its a lot to have pride in, isn't it? :thumbup:

Game kicks off at 4, show closes at 6.

i understood the show ended at around 5. and they're gonna need to rent for extra time to hold it open specially for the match.

Check the website: http://www.londonfilmandcomiccon.com/

"OPEN: SATURDAY - 9AM TO 6PM, SUNDAY - 10AM TO 5PM" (below all the guest pictures)

so that argument doesn't stack up.

anyway, how do you watch a match without gettin drunk? which isn't exactly suitable at the venue.

Any number of football fans are either teetotal or drive afterwards having drunk within the legal limit and therefore not being intoxicated. If you can't conceive of sober football fans, that's your problem. (tens, indeed hundreds of thousands of people watch football sober every weekend, being as it's damn difficult to get smashed at premier league grounds these days).

nicky - i agree, the thread was haywire. i suspect it was closed in some way only the mods have - standard-view third page was entirely invisible.

database corruption, from the error messages. And again, as per the website "Our forum is currently experiencing a database problem and is currently offline."

and given that one of the teams playing will be the national team of most of the attendees

there's a hell of a lot more than just the english - and England aren;t the national team for scotland, wales, republic of ireland or northern ireland. (fair enough, the last of those is debatable, but not the rest.)

I never denied that there will be visitors from Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Eire, Germany, Holland etc. Please read my words. Most (i.e at least 51%) of the attendees will be English. Even if the attendees were drawn in proportion from the whole of the UK (and being held a fair way from Wales and a long way from Scotland and NI, that's debateable), then you'd still have a crowd that was 80+% English. Given that there may a number of non-English people thre who may also be interested in the game (I mean people who are generaslly interested in football, not just Portuguese visitors :gorgeous: ), I don't care how many nationalities are present, I was suggesting it was a useful move from a commercial point of view to maintain attendance by a significant number of attendees.

thats without counting overseas visitors, of whom there WILL be a considerable number, no doubt including germans. considering the trouble being caused in germany by the english, you REALLY think the germans will want to risk that at an event where they're supposed to be enjoying themselves?

A tiny minority of English people. In, I believe, one city only. Doesn't make it acceptable, but doesn't make it great waves of marauding hordes either. The vast majority of Germans seem to be getting on very well with the English. None of the four Germans who work out of my office have had any problems when they go to the pub to watch the football. (And why would English people watching at a venue in England a game against Portugal feel obliged to assault German people?)

I didn't see it as a forced imposition of German cultural values on me

it HAS been mentioned in this thread that its supposedly vital if there's any national pride. THAT is where i find its being imposed - we HAVE to have it at the event, because of NATIONAL PRIDE.

In this context, the "national pride" argument is far from intellectually rigorous. I view the provision of coverage as a useful commercial decision.

as i've already stated the behaviour of the english in germany is hardly something to be proud about - and i'm not on about the match, but the supporters. its a lot to have pride in, isn't it? :thumbup:

Given there are estimated to be over 80,000 English supporters in Germany, many of whom are getting on very well with the Germans and behaving well, I find the behaviour of the vast majority of the English in Germany to be something that I'm certainly not ashamed of. Should I perhaps tar you and all of your fellows by the abhorrent behaviour of a few of them? I'm sure you would be most offended if I did.