Previous official UK LOTR Event Features

Having been quite close to the tFF two years running, and also attending another show (and they were extremely kind to us I have gotta say) I can see a similarity between the panels and tFF, they work and people are very interested and egar to learn things other than about the actors themselves.

The costume panel were a magnificent sucess and Julia would be a huge asset to have taking part. She is passionate about her work and has a real love of Tolkien and her website can be found on www.jedielfqueen.com (though please be aware that most of her costumes are going up for sale so if she is to be sort after then get in now)

On the fun aspect Hobbit Dancing by the Tolkien Society members goes down a hoot, all ages are included where as panel can bore the pants off kids!!!

Whatever you decide to do though chaps, kids are an important part to cater for, choose a venue that has a licence for pushchairs in the main hall, nappy change areas and somewhere where they can let off steam as a certain London venue had none of these, and I can tell you I had a pretty heated discussion with the manager after paying a few hundred pounds to be told to sit outside the hall..........two fingers up to you as I sat in the wheelchair places and watch the other poor mums wandering around for an hour with kids that could kill with one stare!

Lisa x

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having been quite close to the tFF two years running, and also attending another show (and they were extremely kind to us I have gotta say) I can see a similarity between the panels and tFF, they work and people are very interested and egar to learn things other than about the actors themselves.

The costume panel were a magnificent sucess and Julia would be a huge asset to have taking part. She is passionate about her work and has a real love of Tolkien and her website can be found on www.jedielfqueen.com (though please be aware that most of her costumes are going up for sale so if she is to be sort after then get in now)

On the fun aspect Hobbit Dancing by the Tolkien Society members goes down a hoot, all ages are included where as panel can bore the pants off kids!!!

Whatever you decide to do though chaps, kids are an important part to cater for, choose a venue that has a licence for pushchairs in the main hall, nappy change areas and somewhere where they can let off steam as a certain London venue had none of these, and I can tell you I had a pretty heated discussion with the manager after paying a few hundred pounds to be told to sit outside the hall..........two fingers up to you as I sat in the wheelchair places and watch the other poor mums wandering around for an hour with kids that could kill with one stare!

Lisa x

Lisa!!! gezz its been a while babe! hope ya well. I have to say I agree with you about peeps wanting more than just talks. They want to feel as though they are apart of middle earth almost which I thought was great having the market area at another show. I enjoyed the auction as well (even though I couldn't afford to buy anything) it was pure entertainment with Craig and the lederhosen!!

I think as long as the right venue is found to create the best atmosphere possible we'll have a great time, guests or no guests!!

Ellie x x x

lisa x

I agree having Julia is a great idea. I used to be a member of her website and have seen her costume displays and they are excellent (speaking from a 16years experienced cosplayer point of view). Shame to hear that she is selling most of them.

Emma xx

Hey

I worked pretty darn hard at both Fantastic Four's,

Being both a trader and helping out as much as I could with the crew.

I must say, The Charity auction is a fantastic idea and if you do that, i'm sure you will raise lots of money for a good cause.

I personally put in 5 things to be auctioned, one or 2 of which cost me £10 and sold for over £150!!! So def a very good idea.

Another thing I noticed is that everyone was driven wild when, I know thias is not 'officially' Lord of the rings, but the Haka which all the guys did.

I mean, Obv it's a Maori thing, but everyone seemed to love it, so get them there doing it, maybe even a Maori workshop, I know i'd go to both of them, and I'd pay, and I'm sure if you speak to Mana/Shane and the guys, they'd be more than happy to help out with it all.

For anyone whose wondering what the hell I did, I had a nice little store upstairs, (FilmTex) which I have since closed down (Sorry) and also my partner helping with security, and we basically stayed every night helping out till gone midnight with Em, Amy and Lou to help out, AND we had to pay for a table too!!!

Seriously though, if you need a hand, I'm about and I'm only working part time at the moment so Im only more than happy to help with whatever, even folding napkins..........

Wow!! I love all the enthusiatic suggestions and offers of help all of you are contributing. We will definitely consider them all and when the administrative forces of another show UK come togethwe, we will use this forum as one of the keys to a successful event.

Bear in mind that although another show Germany is 5 times bigger and better than any Fantastic Four event, we plan to enter the UK market with a much more conservative plan in mind. Jumping out of the gate and expecting the same numbers would be a bit optimistic for us and we expect to carefully survey the situation as we have always done with our German events.

SHOWMASTERS may be new in this arena but another show GmbH has become old pros at it. With SHOWMASTERS' flair for business in the UK market and my good looks, we will no doubt give you something you may have only seen in Germany......and those of you who where there know what I am talking about. SHOWMASTERS will lead us through your territory and advise on what to do and what not to do. We value their partnership and administrative expertise just as much as the quality of show we pride ourselves in providing. Blah, blah, blah...you understand the rest.

As for specialized programming such as the Costume Contest, Auctions, or any other item you've noticed and enjoyed at Fantastic Four, please continue with the suggestions with the understanding that we ARE NOT THE Fantastic Four and I have personal thoughts as to why I'm happy we are not.

Edited by FEDCON MC

hmm...

can we participate in sword fighting please?:P

oww yee that will be fun , sign me in .

BTW i am 100% coming ...never been to another show sp just bring it all i kenw i'll love it.

owww and dont forget all the presseseee guests :blink:

I worked as a PA at the last one so I didn't get much of a chance to see the event. I think the ticket price needs thought. I don't think a three priced ticketing system works. It brings about alitest attitudes to fans and it can cause alienation. One price should be enough. With a limited Gold package for big spenders.

Btw, I'm happy to PA for you (I've been PA since 1992 over 30 events). As long as I get to wear my Legolas costume at some point.

Emma xx

Aha, the Elf, I PA'd for John Noble, year before last and I think John would be happy to work with me again since I've been his PA at 2 out of 3 of his appearances here ^_^

Edited by hugin_and_munin

well i would definitely like to learn to sword fight, dance like a hobbit ondooooh

can we have elvish lessons please????

One thing that I felt worked really well last year was Daniel Falconer's costuming panel which was split into 4 sections for the various peoples of Middle Earth.

That was nice!

Lots of WETA involvement was cool too!

ABSOLUTELY.

Meeting Richard and Tania and Daniel - and the technical peeps and artists Alan Lee and John Howe - made FF a dream come true for me. Please invite them.

Lots of actors, please! 'Fellowship' ones, especially, but lesser-known peeps, stunt players and extras ALWAYS welcome. PETER JACKSON, need I add, would be a FANTASTIC guest.

May I repeat how THRILLED I am at the prospect of another show UK.

I'll be coming to Fulda later this year - my first another show. Looking forward to meeting everyone and catching up with my fellow FF stewards and colleagues!

Love,

Pauline XX

I worked as a PA at the last one so I didn't get much of a chance to see the event. I think the ticket price needs thought. I don't think a three priced ticketing system works. It brings about alitest attitudes to fans and it can cause alienation. One price should be enough. With a limited Gold package for big spenders.

Btw, I'm happy to PA for you (I've been PA since 1992 over 30 events). As long as I get to wear my Legolas costume at some point.

Emma xx

Aha, the Elf, I PA'd for John Noble, year before last and I think John would be happy to work with me again since I've been his PA at 2 out of 3 of his appearances here :D

Hey there. I'm sure John would love to work with you again. I have noticed that once an actor/guest builds a rapport with a PA they usually like to work with them again.

Wow!! I love all the enthusiatic suggestions and offers of help all of you are contributing. We will definitely consider them all and when the administrative forces of another show UK come togethwe, we will use this forum as one of the keys to a successful event.

Bear in mind that although another show Germany is 5 times bigger and better than any Fantastic Four event, we plan to enter the UK market with a much more conservative plan in mind. Jumping out of the gate and expecting the same numbers would be a bit optimistic for us and we expect to carefully survey the situation as we have always done with our German events.

SHOWMASTERS may be new in this arena but another show GmbH has become old pros at it. With SHOWMASTERS' flair for business in the UK market and my good looks, we will no doubt give you something you may have only seen in Germany......and those of you who where there know what I am talking about. SHOWMASTERS will lead us through your territory and advise on what to do and what not to do. We value their partnership and administrative expertise just as much as the quality of show we pride ourselves in providing. Blah, blah, blah...you understand the rest.

As for specialized programming such as the Costume Contest, Auctions, or any other item you've noticed and enjoyed at Fantastic Four, please continue with the suggestions with the understanding that we ARE NOT THE Fantastic Four and I have personal thoughts as to why I'm happy we are not.

Do you mind if I ask who long have another show peeps been in the convention arena for? I may know of you or worked with some of you before. Admittally I might not of done as I mainly worked in the Doctor Who con circit.

Do you mind if I ask who long have another show peeps been in the convention arena for? I may know of you or worked with some of you before. Admittally I might not of done as I mainly worked in the Doctor Who con circit.

Here you go my dear:

another show History

another show Lexicon

Edited by FEDCON MC

Emma xx

Aha, the Elf, I PA'd for John Noble, year before last and I think John would be happy to work with me again since I've been his PA at 2 out of 3 of his appearances here :P

Hey there. I'm sure John would love to work with you again. I have noticed that once an actor/guest builds a rapport with a PA they usually like to work with them again.

I stewarded the whole three days at the previous official LOTR con and had a fantastic time.

The only really 'hairy' bit was when the venue staff suddenly ran off In a panic and left my colleagues and I on the doors, wondering what was 'up'.

We found out very soon afterwards that Legolassie/Emma had collapsed. One of the young lads working with us had completed a first aid course the week before. He put his newly-acquired skills to good use in a quite heroic manner, staying calm and doing everything 'by the book'.

I am SO looking forward to another show UK. Every LOTR nut I know is in rhapsodies about it!

Pauline XX

Tell you what. Send me a check for...ohhhh, let's say $10,000. That'll lock you in for the next few years and I'll make sure I remember your face when you come to pick up your badge. How's that?

Tell you what. Send me a check for...ohhhh, let's say $10,000. That'll lock you in for the next few years and I'll make sure I remember your face when you come to pick up your badge. How's that?

Sounds good does that include Back massage from Miranda Otto, Davey remembers it for £175

Edited by Aspen

The thing I liked least about FF? Its blatant disrespect toward the Tolkien Society (of which I'm a member), which partnered them in organising things for the event.

umm...

not bein funny or anything, but that makes absolutely NO sense to me...

but then, i never made it to FF - student time at that stage :huh:

As well as the Costume Competition, the Art Competition was fun and interesting. Some of them were amazing! The people running it (The Spirit Lives On) were also really nice :)

Oh yeah they were really fun people and it showed how much they cared about the art show they were running even though it wasn't their stuff. They'd be fun people to work with.

The competitions were great. They increased the anticipation of the event immensely and made you feel a real part of it.

I speak from experience as my friend and I won the film competition first year and we were in the final of the costume competition, and then my daughter won a poetry prize the second year :thumbup:

So, competitions please, especially the film one!

What I'd like to know, for my own reasons, is if there is anything we (another show) should incorporate into our own event, or rather YOUR NEW EVENT, that could only increase our already highly successful formula?

Hi Marc, think on to organise some garbage pail, in the chase that it is an Hotel like the Maritime.

FotS5.gif

In agreement with Spikie about the Haka/Maori workshop idea :YAHOO: Though of course it isn't strictly LotR related, it's fair to say that many of us who saw the various Haka performances last year were blown away by them :D It's a funny thing, but I know that a lot of us Ringers have become quite interested in New Zealand culture too - so if anyone wants to stock the bar with Steinlager... :D

But more seriously, the costume panels and workshops were really good - in fact, one of the things I loved about FF was that if you wanted "hands on" events, there were plenty of them. The interactivity was great. Although it was quite a big even, it reminded me of the "old style" conventions where you didn't just sit and watch people talk all day (not that I wouldn't have wanted the option to do that too) but actually had opportunities to take part in things. And I love the further suggestions that have been coming up here - especially the idea of an interactive sword fighting workshop, though I realise there may be insurance concerns with that. Stunt and makeup demos were always great to watch too - and if you have someone from the makeup FX side of things, it's always a nice idea to run a competition to be turned into an Orc/Elf/Dwarf etc...

But another show has such a good reputation, I'm sure whatever you come up with will rock :P:dance::dance:

the sword fighting demonstrations are always good fun. I also love the radio play and spontaneous stuff like that. Please get Mark and Craig again to compere, they're brilliant.

wht is ringers and what is the radio play? xx

What I'd like to know, for my own reasons, is if there is anything we (another show) should incorporate into our own event, or rather YOUR NEW EVENT, that could only increase our already highly successful formula?

What do you think?

e025.gif

I think there should be:-

(o) Hobbit dancing lessons

(o) professional photographs that can be done with all or most of the hobbits/slash fwllowship so you can incorporate yourself into the fellowship

(o) live music form the actors and musicians related to lotr

(o) Elvish Language lessons such as writing your name in Elivish

(o) people should create elvish or hobbit names for themselves by adapting theirown names and perhaps use them at the con or in an activity at th econ

(o) special effect make up demos

please!! xxx

wht is ringers and what is the radio play? xx

Ringers is a term LotR fans have taken onto themselves, I think originally coming from TheOneRing net. Hence it's use to title the documentary narrated by Dom Monaghan about Tolkien-fandom.

the radio play is something put together by Mark Ferguson for another event (FF) which was very silly, great fun to watch, really silly and included most of the cast members attending those events.