Event ideas

Hans_Blaster

Should be like another show Germany. I liked it there - a lot.

The focus should be on Star Trek guests: interesting panels, Q & A sessions... the lot.

But the guests should probably not be the same guests as in Germany.

We have Star Trek TNG - anniversary next year - so TNG guests would be brilliant.

If we can get anyone from Star Wars - next year would be perfect - 30 yrs of Star Wars!

And they never come to Germany, because it's a UK show and most Germans don't know it... but what about some Doctor Who guests?

How many time does it have to mentioned ??

another show is a STAR TREK ONLY event. Why do people keep asking for star wars and regular movie people !!

If ytou want Star Wars guests then feel free to check out Empire Day and Celebration Europe next year !

Should be like another show Germany. I liked it there - a lot.

The focus should be on Star Trek guests: interesting panels, Q & A sessions... the lot.

But the guests should probably not be the same guests as in Germany.

We have Star Trek TNG - anniversary next year - so TNG guests would be brilliant.

If we can get anyone from Star Wars - next year would be perfect - 30 yrs of Star Wars!

And they never come to Germany, because it's a UK show and most Germans don't know it... but what about some Doctor Who guests?

How many time does it have to mentioned ??

another show is a STAR TREK ONLY event. Why do people keep asking for star wars and regular movie people !!

If ytou want Star Wars guests then feel free to check out Empire Day and Celebration Europe next year !

:o Sorry. I figured since this is another show it would be like a another show. And at another show you don't have Star Trek only - I wish it were like that. At another show 15 last year we had loads of people from Buffy, B5, Angel, aso - sorry and I'm glad if I was wrong. At another show Germany the focus is on Star Trek guests, but there are always people from other shows, too.

I'm happy if they just invite Star Trek guests, but I simply didn't think so.

This show is in partnership with the staff who run another show in Germany so I should imagine it would just be Trek guests

Well that would be brilliant, no argument there.

As I said another show Germany is different. There you get some Star Trek guests (and brilliant ones, I might add: last year we had George Takei, Walter Koenig, Gates Mc Fadden, Cirroc Lofton, Nicole de Boer, Connor Trinneer and Robert Beltran), and then there are some guests from other shows, e.g. Buffy (Clare Kramer - Glory), Angel (Christian Kane, Andy Hallett), Babylon 5 (Claudia Christian, Mira Furlan), X-Files (Dean Haglund) and others like Gary Jones, Marc Singer and Gigi Edgley. We also had some scientists - which was quite interesting.

If there are only Star Trek guests at another show UK, I'd be very happy about Patrick Stewart, Brent Spiner, Leonard Nimoy, Scott Bakula, Nana Visitor, Jonathan Frakes, Avery Brooks... But I'm happy about every single Star Trek actor! :D

I hope there'll be lots of panels, Qu & Answer sessions...

But: If other guests are invited too, it would be great if it would not be the same ones as in Germany. :blush: I suggested Dr. Who because it's not really known in Germany and British fans might appreciate it. If there are only TREK guests - well you definitely won't get any argument from me... :P

Uh oh! My ears were burning for some reason and now I see why. :P So let's have a little reality based chat. ;)

<insert sermon music here>

STAR TREK is an artery bleeding out. There may be a surgeon nearby but he may not get to it in time. There was a time in my early convention days where you knew of a con every weekend somewhere in the good ole U. S. of A. Not anymore.:blush:

With a specific company in the USA glutting the market, and using questionable tatics to force the competition out, conventions went from a once a week to a once a month to a once every 6 month occurence. Only premiere organizations like Jason's SHOWMASTERS here in the UK (I'm kissing your butt now Jason), another show in Germany and fan run groups in the US kept TREK alive but not by itself...and not recently.

I've been a part of convention organization for 20 years and I know of most of the former promoters and the current ones. They'll all tell you that TREK cannot support a TREK-only convention and be profitable. Maybe a reunion show or a "Captain's" show or something like that but that's a one time only sort of thing. Not something for a business to survive on...and think of the costs. That's the name of the business folks. Profits. B)

Jason and Dirk certainly do not do this strictly for kicks. Sure, they're TREK fans but when their sole business is the production of conventions of their type, they have to remain solvent in order to produce the next event. Fan-run events are run by people with full-time jobs and a loss on a convention can be written off, sometimes never to return. When that happens, those folks still have a job they receive funds from. :P

Now here's a bit more on the reality end. Generally, if a promoter cannot be gauranteed at least 1000 people for every 2-3 big name actors at an event, it's not worth doing it. Some promoters may say 500 will meet their overhead but I live here where most of the actors are so imagine what a single first class ticket to Europe costs. Let me help. Between 5 and 10 times what a ticket from New York to LA costs. I admire those European promoters for attempting this and slap on the back of the head those fans that complain about autograph or admission fees. WAKE UP!!!! :chair:

One voice on this board screaming for a TREK only convention is lunacy in this day and time. There just isn't enough of us folks and it ain't getting any better.:uhoh:

another show's success is from it's convention style only! A percentage in attendence come solely for the actor but the larger percentage come for the reputation. That's what a convention should be about. Jason is successful because he mixes his genres. That Vegas show is successful for the sheer amount of actors and the "hype" which the fans fall into which makes the ticket prices the way they are, but let's face it. If you haven't gotten a George Takei, Walter Keonig or JG Hertzler autograph by now, you're in a very small percentage which doesn't justify bringing them back to you if the profits doesn't warrant it.:help:

Internet websites and forums of this sort DO NOT support nor represent the primary numbers of any convention attendence. Find me 300 people on this board who share the same opinion of wanting to see THAT actor you all are swawking about and maybe it'll get our attention, but otherwise, it's not profitable. And the actors are getting smarter too. They check the websites of successful conventions, read the reports and figure out what to charge a promoter. Some of them are so overpriced it makes my skin crawl. That's why "signing" guests make a profit happen. :dance:

Don't get me wrong folks. I'm a bigger Trek admirer than most of you but I'm a businessman also and I know the numbers needed to continue producing shows and believe it or not folks, TREK ain't doing it! Maybe 5 years down the road a 100% TREK convention may be feasible but we've seen the beginning of the end when it comes to a TREK-only event. We can only wait to see what future films will do to the industry. There's more to tell but why? You get the point. Just support groups like SHOWMASTERS and another show and maybe sci-fi events "won't completely" disappear. :thumbup:

Reality check over.

<turn off sermon music>

Edited by FEDCON MC

Marc,

You have made some very good points, but there is one thing that a another show in the UK needs

which I don't think the organisers will be able to bring with them.....some of those great German

beers that they serve in the another show venues.......... :YAHOO::thumbup:

Marc,

You have made some very good points, but there is one thing that a another show in the UK needs

which I don't think the organisers will be able to bring with them.....some of those great German

beers that they serve in the another show venues.......... :dance::P

And the great food from the German hotels! I'll be very surprised (pleasantly) if you find a UK venue that puts on such a good spread.

DIANA MULDAUR!!!!!!!! :D:P

Does anyone know if she appeared at the Star Trek Convention in Las Vegas last week?

Indeed she did and she was lovely. She has a great personality that comes across really well on stage. On top of that, she was very friendly during the signings. I would like to see her again so if another show can do it, great!

Thanks for letting us know - a great, and very rare guest to try and get. Hope we see her over here in UK.

Here are some quotes from her -

On doing a Star Trek convention after 10 years: "One of the main reasons I'm here, if not the entire reason I'm here, is to celebrate Gene Roddenberry. He discovered me, in many ways, when I was a kid in Hollywood, and he put me in two different segments of the original Star Trek, which were a total joy to do. I cannot tell you how inventive and how creative everybody was who worked on that show, from the actors, the makeup, the hair, the camera ... I will never forget it as long as I live." (2006)

• 3 months later...