Voting questions

showmasters

I posted a question in the general G-Mex forum asking specifically if the LotR section was seperate to the general section in terms of the competition, because it was unclear on the various web pages and I was told it would be and the topic was closed, so I couldn't ask to clarify. I must admit I'm slightly disappointed that this isn't the case, especially considering there were so many LotR entries.

without wanting to be flamed, I think the way the fics were put into polls is slightly unfair :P ; you have SG1 in every poll so potentially they could win every poll and then you have all the CSIs and LOST in the same poll :lol:

it would also have been easier if people had named their fic "Stargate SG1: Isolation" etc rather than just "Isolation" :wub:

if you kill me, my fellow CSIs will uncover the evidence and find out it was YOU so :P

surfy sah xx :D

• Showmasters Admin
I posted a question in the general G-Mex forum asking specifically if the LotR section was seperate to the general section in terms of the competition, because it was unclear on the various web pages and I was told it would be and the topic was closed, so I couldn't ask to clarify.  I must admit I'm slightly disappointed that this isn't the case, especially considering there were so many LotR entries.

917203[/snapback]

Sorry about that confusion, the answer was a mistake posted by someone in the office who was under the same impression you were. I corrected it and bumped it to the top of the page again as soon as I found out.

It does say on the forum and website that there are only 2 categories this time (Harry Potter and General Movie/TV) however we were anticipating adding a 3rd Lord of the Rings category next time which was why we gave it it's own section. It is interesting to not that there were as many Stargate entries as Lord of the Rings entries so maybe this is something we need to look at for next time too.

Andrea

can I just get this straight in my head as Andrea's answer to a simular Q in the HP FF forum ha confused me

I was under the impression that these polls were to determine 1st, 2nd, 3rd place for HP and "other" that's why I was slightly frustrated that SG1 ended up being represented in all 3 polls in "other" but Andrea's reply in HP about the best story winning indicates to me you are just looking for 1 winning fic from HP and one winner from "other"? :D

if ^^^ is not the case, then it is true that it is slightly unfair the way the polls have been set up in "other" ;)

soweee just wanna get it sorted in my head ;)

and yes there are mounds of SG fanfics out there, even though the LotR forum has thousands more posts! ;) cuh closest sci-fi fans :P

surfy sah xx

Just pointing out, in the top poll a LoTR one has 11 votes. It shouldn't be in that poll. :|

Am i the only one who thinks it's weird for that to have gotta 11 votes in a couple of hours?

EDIT: There's 2 LoTR ones in that poll. =|

Edited by Mike

I know some people have e-mail Showmasters with regard to suspicions about people signing up with multiple accounts in order to cheat. They've received no reply, which I find rather rude. I'd have thought that genuine concerns like that would've been addressed.

I agree I have some concerns on that as well - it seems rather like cheating to me and everybody can easily do that - but haven't so why should certain individuals not be questioned about it and the truth discovered

Or something like that - Cadi, El and Cosmic were all new to the forum but they've taken part around the place - though they entered first - it's not necessarily the fairest option but something like that would be better maybe

unfortunately Mike, SM decided to meld the LotR fic with everything so that the only sections are HP or "other" :D

I did post earlier saying it would have been fairer to ie keep all the SG fic in one poll and all LotR, BSG etc in the same poll (no I'm not suggesting one poll per show :D) as how is it fair on LOST and CSI that all the fics relating to those shows are in one poll but SG and LotR have theirs spread amoungst the three so they could win all three?! :D does that make sense? :D

some one feel free to translate :D

surfy sah xx

Or a rule is you have to have 100+ posts to take part. There is people who join, make the one post (their fic) then don't come back. I don't like that one bit.

917452[/snapback]

I can see why you'd wanna impose that rule. I mean, when I posted to the competition I didn't have 100+ posts, but I do now. It's difficult to judge if someone's going to stick to their word and be an active member, really :D

unfortunately Mike, SM decided to meld the LotR fic with everything so that the only sections are HP or "other"  :unsure:

I did post earlier saying it would have been fairer to ie keep all the SG fic in one poll and all LotR, BSG etc in the same poll (no I'm not suggesting one poll per show :P) as how is it fair on LOST and CSI that all the fics relating to those shows are in one poll but SG and LotR have theirs spread amoungst the three so they could win all three?!  :blink:  does that make sense?  :huh:

some one feel free to translate :D

surfy sah xx

917461[/snapback]

:Translation:

Fics on the same show should all be in the same poll - that way there is a fair representation for the other shows. That way three fics for the same show by say the same author don't all get the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place vote numbers

Correct sah?

Yeah, your ok. You got involved around the board, gave feedback on other and such. Maybe the people who don't have a certain number of posts by the time the competition closes or something.

:unsure:

While I think having less popular shows in one poll and very popular themes in ones of their own, it doesn't stop the problem if one section has more than 20 entries. Some people have entered multiple stories ... could it be better if it was limited to one fic per person to make sure that the number of entries could be fitted into ones poll?

• Showmasters Admin

Most of these questions have been answered in the similar thread in the other section, but to address some of the questions here:

We are looking for 1 winner and 4 runners up from bothe the Harry Potter AND Ganeral sections (that's 10 winners in all).

I'm not sure when your friend e-mailed about her suspicions but it can take us a few days to respond to e-mails, especially over the weekend. Please bear in mind that we are only 2 weeks away from a big show so we are all working flat out (hence me still working on the forum at midnight last night). However the forum is set up to make it difficult for members to join up under multiple names and we will not look kindly on anyone caught doing this. I have also answered other similar concerns over new members joining in the other thread.

The winners in this section will be chosen not by the popularity of the subject they're writing about but how good the story is. That was why they were listed in the polls in alphabetical order, not by subject. In the future we may look at increasing the number of categories giving the more popular subjects their own awards.

Andrea

I don't have any questions about the voting but I did not know where to post this.

I am new to this forum and I could not think of a decent story to enter the competition with.

I have read a lot of the stories and they have all been very impressive.

I would just like to wish everyone in the polls the best of luck and to encourage more people to vote for your favourite story. If you do not vote for it it will not win.

GOOD LUCK

thank you Andrea for addressing some of the points/concerns we have raised, much appreciated! :rolleyes:

had no idea the fics were posted in alphabetical order :D

one thing though, it has been said that the winner is about the story and not the show and that is of course how it should be B) but take me, as an example, I have never seen BSG and am not caught up with LOST nor HP so I am not going to go about reading those fics as they contain spoilers or it wouldn't mean anything to me that :unsure: , say, Jack and Claire had this really amazing moment or whatever!

as I am a CSI and Stargate fan, I have read those fics and then picked one to vote from else how can I judge if the story is good or not if I don't know the context and the characters? :huh:

surfy sah xx :P

Or a rule is you have to have 100+ posts to take part. There is people who join, make the one post (their fic) then don't come back. I don't like that one bit.

917452[/snapback]

Speaking as a newbie, who joined, posted a fic and has not commented on others

postings, I just want to remind people of a couple of things. First, while I just joined

this board, it is because I recently discovered "Collectormania" and so I am very

new to this venue, although not to bboards in general, having logged years on

others. Please remember that everyone is new sometime, and it seems that most

boards punish the newbies anyway, because everyone has their friends that they

hang with, comment on and give feedback to, and just generally ignore newcomers.

So, I don't think you need to worry that one of us newbies will win the competition,

since if you look at the postings, the most read entries were by you old timers

anyway. This is the first time I have ever entered a competition, and in retrospect

was probably not wise, but I had an inspiration and acted on it. Oh well.

Hiya, i am quite new and i just want to address the thoughts people have bene having about newbies posting just for the competiton.

My friend found out about collectormania, i looked on the site and then i found the competition. I posted becasue i really enjoy writing and wanted to see what other people think about my story and wanted to see where it got in a compeption.

I havn't done that many posts becasue i tend to read threads rather than reply, unless i feel the point i am making is valid, so i think it's a little unfair to think that some newbies may not come back, or are "using the board". It was a competition which i enjoyed writing for and so posted my fan fic. I know that this is a case for some other people too.

Im not trying to argue or anything, im just saying that writing is a hobby of mine and that i just wanted to enter the competition as fun, even though i dont have 100+ posts or anything ....

anyway, didn't mean to cause offence if i did and sorry if i babbled :) lol