Voting questions

showmasters

No, there's really no need to do that, and it isn't the right thread to do that in either... It was the point of it!!

This whole contest has brought out a side in me that I don't like in the least... it's a sniping, jealous, angry, competitive side that really isn't like me!! I'm disgusted by my own behaviour and pettiness, and yet still so angry over the situation!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand your anger, really, I do. I can see why you would feel this way, sort of like the newbies are taking over and it's not fair. I just want you to know that we really don't mean any harm, and we entered this contest just for fun. At least I did, and I don't want to cause any trouble.

she has plenty of admirers on here, and a lot of friends...

Yes, and they will all look at the stories and vote for their friend. Just as the friends of the new members will do. There`s no point arguing or shouting about it, that`s how it`s going to be.

Seriously, a competition judged like this is doomed to failure and the winner will have a worthless trophy. With the best intent in the world, it just wont work.

On a side note, it seems that there is at least one new member who is willing to play the game and enter into the spirit of things. Setuptimhen, I salute you.

Well that's good to know. Fun is what this contest should be about!! I'd like it to get back to that stage, as there's no joy in winning a unfun contest... there's no pride in being voted a winner if the only people voting for us are our friends...

We're not saying we are begrudging them support from their friends just that the way they have gone about entering is very seperatist - that rather than being about the fan fic it's about popularity and it shouldn't be - that's the greviance we have here!

What! How should they have entered then? Should they have asked permission? Used a crystal ball to see the competition and joined six months earlier? Posted a story and asked their friends not to vote?

What a load of twaddle. You are annoyed because they are making a competition of it. You seriously thought you would post a story, get all your friends here to vote on it and get no competition. Well, here`s the wake up call. There is competition, and it`s bloody good. At the moment, your story seems well up at the top. Great story or great friends?

Like I said, the voting is open to abuse and if you can abuse it (not saying you have) then so can everybody else. :)

917554[/snapback]

Could have read and left a comment on other peoples work - simple as that.

I've told people to vote for the stories not for me - it's not about winning - I entered this for fun - I'm not begrudging any newbies any support - at least four of the newbies maybe even five of them read and commented on other peoples work - if they didn't in the actually thread they mentioned it in repsonse to somebody elses comment about their own work.

You're also making an awful lot of assumptions about who I am based on one competition - if you knew anything about me then you'd know that I only entered this for Lizzi because there weren't any other entries but hers in at the start - we thought it wasn't going to go ahead due to entries so I threw a load in to make up the numbers - we then encouraged other people to join in - yeh really sounds like I was trying to win this out right straight away huh?

And here is a wake up call for you - you should be careful about who you make assumptions on - I haven't voted for any of my own work - none of it - I've voted for the stories I enjoyed and like and thought were fantastic - competitions aren't about winning and losing its all about taking part and making friends along the way and hey I've made three new ones - newbies to the board who did comment on other peoples work - were friendly - yeh they've asked friends for support but I haven't got a problem with that - yeh one of my stories is at the top but I haven't actively sought to put it there.

Seriously, a competition judged like this is doomed to failure and the winner will have a worthless trophy. With the best intent in the world, it just wont work.

917572[/snapback]

Aye, I agree... i'd be in favour of an independant judging panal in future contests!!

Exactly! I wouldn't want people to vote for me just because I was their friend. I've told people that the voting was open, and I did tell them which stories were mine, but they didn't all vote for me! I don't think my stories are the best on here, but it would be really nice to win something. That doesn't mean I'm going to abuse the system...I went into this to have fun, and I intend to come out of this contest in a good mood, whether I win or lose.

Yes, and they will all look at the stories and vote for their friend.

I voted for the ones I thought best. I will say I voted for Tippin only once, and that was because I loved the story so much, I have since the first time reading it. I even voted for someone I haven't talked to other than playing a game on here which doesn't exactly count as conversation unless you are including about why Remus Lupin seems to be associated with chocolate in fan fics :D

I don`t think this should descend into a slanging match. I`ve made my point and hopefully it will be taken on board. Maybe the next competition will have an independent panel of judges.

And Tippen, I`d just like to say. 'Congratulations on your win' :D

..... which doesn't exactly count as conversation unless you are including about why Remus Lupin seems to be associated with chocolate in fan fics :P

Funny, I've noticed that too!

Andrea

lol so it wasn't just us then :lol:

Or rather me and my perverted mind but that is something not to be discussed here. :D

Anyway, less Remus and Chocolate and more on topicness now

Right, so perhaps we can move this on a bit...

I'd like to lay my cards on the table and say that I enjoyed all of the stories I read that were entered into this contest. I felt that a fair few of them could have been the better for 50-100 increase on the word limit...

I'd also like to say hello to all the newbies... My name is Lizzi, I'm 22, I've been writing fan fic since I was 14, and still love doing it... I'm training to be a Primary School teacher, and part of my course involves reading/writing fiction for children. One current project I'm working on is a picture book about the efforts of 'Henry and the Hedgehog' who's lonely and wants to make friends. He does this by having a party...

For everyone that goes to G-mex, I'd like to suggest that there be an unofficial party on the Saturday night for any HP fans that wish to attend... just look out for me on the day!!

Lizzi xxx

Yes, and they will all look at the stories and vote for their friend.

I voted for the ones I thought best. I will say I voted for Tippin only once, and that was because I loved the story so much, I have since the first time reading it. I even voted for someone I haven't talked to other than playing a game on here which doesn't exactly count as conversation unless you are including about why Remus Lupin seems to be associated with chocolate in fan fics :D

917581[/snapback]

And always will love that one - though I know you adore the Riddle one that was too long to enter

Didn't you know that Remus has been signed to represent Cadburys for the next few years if he survives book 7?

I don`t think this should descend into a slanging match.

Then don't personally attack me - that's what starts slagging matches

Let's all get to know eachother and introduce ourselves :) Should we make a new thread for that?

917590[/snapback]

Yes - you start one! That way there's no confusion over it, and no multiple threads started! Call it the book club thread or something!

I would hope that they are voting for their favourite story rather than their favourite author! (

917298[/snapback]

Sorry, but it's clearly a 'popularity' contest... some of these authors have come in here posting their stories, never having posted in the SM forum before, not even intending to come to G-mex in the first place; and they're now getting all their friends to vote for their stories alone... They haven't even read/reviewed other people's stories...

917312[/snapback]

Hi. Im shy and have never done fanfic before, and don't have any friends on here to vote for me so Im feeling a little daunted! I haven't commented on other peoples stories, but I only posted mine on the 19th anyway. And no-one has commented on mine either! :( I just wanted to say hello, and well done to everyone for great stories.

PS Poor Whale! :wub: