RANDY MARTINEZ & CYNTHIA CUMMENS (SW artists)

Skylover

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW : not every one here is British some of us are french , german , netherlands I'm Israeli :) and we all like just about the same things .

You see, this is why I Travel. So I can learn what people are like all over the world. My apologies for  not considering the other nationals in Engalnd. The last thing I want is to be "The Ugly America":)

Sp, Star Wars is big, LOTR, how about Harry Potter?

Randy

903537[/snapback]

I just looked at your Black Marker and Prismacolor Pencils Star Wars Heritage cards. WOW!!!!!! I want! And I would definietly buy Harry Potter ones!!

:rolleyes:

The cards are grait  , bouth of you

.. how do  you diced , wether it's a joke ( elrond smith is a must ) or a  portrit .. or do Topps tell you what thay wont ?

903681[/snapback]

Randy is the one with the twisted sense of humor, so that's his department! Topps lets us decide what we want to draw. The only prerequisite was that the sketches represent characters depicted by New Line. For example, unfortunately, I can't interpret Tom Bombadil!

I try to do about 10 -15 cards a day.

Cynthia

Great questions people.

My cards that I turn into Topps (that can be pulled from packs) take me a few minutes each.

Topps has me do a high number of cards because of my abilty to draw fast. Some complain because they are much less detailed then some of the others, but most like it because A. many fans like owning a piece of my process (the sketch phase), and B. it really opens up the option for me to be funny since they are bascly cartoons. I think the word that best describes my style on these cards is "fun".

The color cards you see on line are "after market cards" meaning some fans who pull my cards

commission me to recreate something on their card. Sometimes they simply ask me to finish what is already on the card, sometimes they have me do something different all together.

Because I do so many cards some fans get upset that they get so many of my cards, and none of the other artists cards. I feel for those fans, so I offer a trade in deal to get discounts on my after market cards, which you can read about at my site. Fans seem to really appreciate it and like the chance to get a full color sketch card.

I will definitely do some Harry Potter cards to bring out to England. I don't know a lot about Narnia, but it seems liek it 's got a big presense at GMEX, so I will probably at least do those actors who will there. What about King Kong? Is Monty Python still big in England?

Keep giving me thise suggestions!

Randy

Great questions people.

My cards that I turn into Topps (that can be pulled from packs) take me a few minutes each.

Topps has me do a high number of cards because of my abilty to draw fast. Some complain because they are much less detailed then some of the others, but most like it because A. many fans like owning a piece of my process (the sketch phase), and B. it really opens up the option for me to be funny since they are bascly cartoons. I think the word that best describes my style on these cards is "fun".

The color cards you see on line are "after market cards" meaning some fans who pull my cards

commission me to recreate something on their card. Sometimes they simply ask me to finish what is already on the card, sometimes they have me do something different all together.

Because I do so many cards some fans get upset that they get so many of my cards, and none of the other artists cards. I feel for those fans, so I offer a trade in deal to get discounts on my after market cards, which you can read about at my site. Fans seem to really appreciate it  and like the chance to get a full color sketch card.

I will definitely do some Harry Potter cards to bring out to England. I don't know a lot about Narnia, but it seems liek it 's got a big presense at GMEX, so I will probably at least do those actors who will there. What about King Kong? Is Monty Python still big in England?

Keep giving me thise suggestions!

Randy

903750[/snapback]

Cheers for the answers you two. King Kong would be a great idea as Andy Serkis is a legend over . If I have one of your star wars cards would you be willing to change into a colour one at the show for extra cost i understand.

Monty Python <lol> how funy can you make a Monty Python card ?

How about Doctor who ( recent 1 ) you ever seen it ?

Aspen would love that i'm shure .

I dont have any of you'r cards - Randy , Cynthia

so maby i'll ask you 2 to combain talents on 1 larger card ?... think thats posibel ?

I think you 2 beter be preperd for a nice long line... :blush: or some peopal with a long list <lol>

Edited by Nili

Yes, I stay up pretty late.

I have heard of Dr. Who but I have never seen it.

But keep coming with suggestions.

Cynthia and I will have our personal sketch cards their.

I know my cards are pretty easy to come by and for pretty cheap on line.

Just do some digging and I'm sure you can find some. I did 6000 Topps Star Wars

sketch cards total. So their are plenty out there.

I would love to do a cooperative piece with Cynthia.

I woudl love a long line. My biggest problem is I love to talk to fans and it always slows me down.

But I get it all done.

I think after the first of the year I will start taking preorders.

Stay tuned.

Randy

god randy you on late

903869[/snapback]

amazing guests!! Ive been a member of a certain SW collecting website and seen the guys work - truly truly brilliant.

i wasnt thinking of coming over but this has swayed it for me... really looking forward to the show now...

guys - you will have a blast in Manchester... its a cool city - friendly people, lots to see and do... Of course im biased 'cause its not as good as Dublin (where im from) but you will have a great time. If you do get a chance to travel to Ireland you wont regret it!! (However, it rains almost as much in Manchester as it does in Ireland so bring your umbrella!!)

the collectormania shows are very well done. normally they are in a shopping mall and this is the first time (as i am aware) its in its new venue However, there should be plenty of people around and fairly long lines for you both!!

normally the signees are for autos only - so i think you guys will be different from everyone else and really will be in demand... i hope you dont tire too quickly!!

in terms of whats popular - everything you guys have really!! you can see by the other guest stars who people will be lining up to see... SW, HP, LOTR and Narnia seem to be the big ones at the moment. King Kong may also be popular (but i think it wont be so successful IMHO!!) a lot of people also like US import shows... like Lost, Sopranos, 24, Desp HW, West Wing etc etc

Monty Python is not all that popular - unless you are of a certain age like me and remember it!! But British comedy is still the best in the world - i guess you guys have the seen "the office"....?? (And not your horrible re-make!!)

i have a quick question for you both... do you do charactures (not sure of spelling) on your cards?? For example if I wanted a sketch of me done looking like a sith or a jedi could you do something like that or does it take too much time??

great to see you at the show and thanks for your time coming onto the boards too.

Great, the more people the merrier!

Great advice.

The whole trip should be a blast for C and I.

we will be visiting friends and other parts of England and France (hopefully) after the show.

I'm getting pumped man!

About your question: May I paraphrase Mr. Kenobi:

"Chancelor Palpatine, Caricatures are my specialty!"

Randy

• Moderators

Just looked at both of the sites, really cool! :P

Cynthia I love the Willow (Buffy) and Jennifer Garner cards, I'm a big Buffy and Alias fan :P

Randy your caricatures are great :rolleyes: The Tom Hanks one is my favourite :unsure:

I think something from Lost should be done, that's pretty big right now and we've got a few guests coming over next year!

Caricatures are definitely Randy's specialty, but I've been commissioned on many occassions by fans who want themselves drawn as their favorite Jedi or SW character. Thanks to everyone for making us feel so welcome!

Cynthia

Edited by Cynthia

Caricatures are definitely Randy's specialty, but I've been commissioned on many occassions by fans who want themselves drawn as their favorite Jedi or SW character. Thanks to everyone for making us feel so welcome!

Cynthia

904235[/snapback]

As thay say, it take 2 to tango :lol: you 2 are fun ppl and you talke to us which is rear for guests to do ... i think the last time this hapend was at C-4 with LOTR peopal :) and that was some years ago :) :rolleyes:

It is nice to get to knew the guests , and to see that thay cear , cuz we cear :)

Topps emailed me today with word that I can start posting my LOTR sketch cards. Please have a look and let me know what you think!

Cynthia's LOTR sketch cards!

Cynthia

903550[/snapback]

Here are three og mine! Though I don't know if the jokes will make much sense in England.

http://www.randymartinez.net/art/sketchcar...otr-triumph.jpg

http://www.randymartinez.net/art/sketchcar...-lotr-smith.jpg

http://www.randymartinez.net/art/sketchcar...pps-lotr-bk.jpg

903593[/snapback]

Rofl! I adore the Eleond/Agent Smith one :D

u know the Triumph dog in UK? he wasnt fair with SW fans  :P

glad to see this topic so popular!!

904422[/snapback]

Triumph is one of my favorites.

The Star Wars bit was probably the all time greatest.

I rarely meet Star Wars fans who are criticle about that piece because

teh Unique thing about Star Wars fans is they are able to laugh at them selves

more than any other fan group. I myself included!

So, I have some news for you guys.

The 3 cards I posted for Lord of the Rings, were just a gag.

At least they are not really going to be part of the set that you can pull from packs.

These 3 cards are mearly sketches for the 6 cards Topps sends back to each artist.

With those I will probably do these.

I thought it woudl be at least fun for fans to get a laugh out of the sketches.

Oh man, the fury those cards caused on other message boards. It was time to ease some nerves and reveal it was a Gag. But, now people get it was a joke.

I am quite the prankster :wub:

Edited by Hollywood_Randy

• Moderators
Just looked at both of the sites, really cool! :D

Cynthia I love the Willow (Buffy) and Jennifer Garner cards, I'm a big Buffy and Alias fan :wub:

Here's a set of Buffy cards that Cynthia did for me. :)

http://www.keithjakubowski.net/buffy.htm

905222[/snapback]

They're really great, I'm impressed :D

You've got a cool autograph site :P love the Lost and Dead Like Me ones ^_^

Cynthia has more of her fantastic sketch cards for lotr now online.

905416[/snapback]

Here are the cards Aspen mentioned. If you guys are interested in seeing more, let me know and I'll post more.

LOTR_samples3.jpg

There's a recent article about my sketch card endeavors here:

Non Sports Info.com

Hi Keith!

Cynthia

Edited by Cynthia