Stargate Opening Cut to 10 Seconds

Colonel Jack O'Neill

Found this over at Gateworld...

The SCI FI Channel will air 10-second opening sequences for the new seasons of Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis, composer Joel Goldsmith reportedly told fans at this weekend's official Stargate convention in Burbank, California.

Executive producer Joseph Mallozzi confirmed the report in a message at GateWorld Forum. "You have to ask yourself: 'Will it really make that much of a difference?' 'Is the opening sequence really that important?'" Mallozzi said. "In my opinion -- you bet your a** it is. The opening sequences are as much a part of the shows as our main cast, great stirring scores by Joel Goldsmith for both SG-1 and Atlantis that really ramp up the excitement heading into a given episode."

"How do I feel? I'll miss both opening themes, but especially the SG-1 opening that has been with the show for the past eight years."

The sequence will include a shot of the Stargate and rapid cuts from the show, Goldsmith said. Actor credits will not appear on screen, but credits for executive producers Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper will.

The reduced openings will give the network approximately 50 seconds of additional advertising time to sell. It is the latest example of SCI FI's cost cutting; last year the network reduced the number of episodes ordered from 22 to 20, and followed suit again this year.

The 10-second opening follows the lead of such hit series as ABC's Lost, which features only the series title with no cast credits or scenes from the show in the opening sequence.

A one-minute version of the opening sequence will be produced for the syndication market and, hopefully, the DVD releases. It is not yet known what the U.K.'s Sky One and other broadcasters will use.

The new season premieres this Friday, July 15, at 8 p.m. Eastern/Pacific on SCI FI.

Now that sucks as I really like the opening sequences of SG-1 and Atlantis, hopefully they will put them back to normal for the DVD releases.

thought this sounded familiar! Nicki linked me the other day :lol: dunno why I thought I read it here! soz dude! *thankfully katy made me an honourary blonde* :huh:

messa gutted!

when I was reading I was like oooow 50 more seconds of the episode! but not!!! FRECKING ADVERTS! :o like there's not enough of them already!! grrrr!!

*ahem* :wub:

surfy sah xx

Glad to see I wasnt the only one whos first reaction was Oh goody another 50 sec of prog!

But no! its all in the name of adverts which most of us will never watch anyhow!

there is a petition going to get TPTB to put them back to normal, but am not sure how much its gonna affect us Brits. If anyones interested then let me know and Ill track down the link and post it here.

Am gonna miss singing along with the opening sequence :D

P x-x-x

Am gonna miss singing along with the opening sequence :P

so true!!!!! (although i have it on in the car so its all good :lol: )

Thats fab I, have the SG1 opening music as my ring tone so i get a few doses of it everyday :lol:

Altho my boss keeps tellin me its Star Wars and keeps calling me Princess Leah! Dumb Ass!!!!! Will have to educate him :D

P x-x-x

Am gonna miss singing along with the opening sequence :P

so true!!!!! (although i have it on in the car so its all good :lol: )

Thats fab I, have the SG1 opening music as my ring tone so i get a few doses of it everyday :lol:

Altho my boss keeps tellin me its Star Wars and keeps calling me Princess Leah! Dumb Ass!!!!! Will have to educate him :D

P x-x-x

yeh educate him and if that fails just call him Jabba, if he calls you leia lol .Im collecting the sg dvd s frrom season 8 and it says you can customise your mobile when you have them all I wonder if it will be a ring tone or just a wallpaper cos I cant seem to find a decent sg ring tone anywhere (keep the coffee coming till season 9)

anyone seen the new episode of atlantis yet??? is it any good without spoilers??

Without giving anything away, its the perfect conclusion to the previous 2 episodes, I had SG-1, Atlantis and BSG downloaded and guess which one I watched first :angry:

One thing I did notice, I think that SG-1 is a few weeks ahead of Atlantis story wise as events that happened in SG-1 episode 1 are way ahead of events in Atlantis episode 1, maybe episode 2 catchs up, will have to wait and see.

Both Avalon and the seige part 111 were totally fantastic,But the credits oh noooo ,the old credits were my cue to grab the coffee and chocolate find a comfy cushion and settle down ,but now its wooosh and we are off ,now I know how gate travel feels. :D