Arrests 'in Potter leak attempt'

Skylover

from CNN:

LONDON, England -- Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling has won a court order to stop two men leaking details of her latest work after they were arrested in a dramatic operation to recover two copies of the book.

The novel, due to be released July 16, was offered to two British newspapers -- one of which said one of the alleged sellers had fired a fake gun near its reporter.

Rowling was granted a British High Court injunction against the two men, ages 19 and 37, after they were accused of attempting to sell printed copies of "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince."

Legal firm Reynolds Porter Chamberlain issued a statement on Rowling's behalf, saying: "This order was made following our client's discovery ... that a copy of the forthcoming Harry Potter book ... had been obtained by unauthorised persons who had subsequently offered the book to newspaper journalists."

Spokesmen for The Sun and the Daily Mirror said both newspapers had been contacted by someone claiming to have copies of the book.

The newspapers said they planned to meet the man in Kettering, 80 miles (130 kilometers) north of London, and contacted police -- who were waiting outside the meeting site and arrested the two suspects Friday.

The Sun said that when its reporter attempted to leave the meeting carrying the book, one of the suspects put a gun next to his head and fired a shot over the journalist's shoulder. The shooter said the gun was not real, but it made a loud bang when it went off, the newspaper reported.

The newspapers said one of the suspects worked at a distribution warehouse where copies of "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" are being stored ahead of their release.

"It was very hard" to get around security, the Mirror quoted the man as saying. "The whole warehouse is on camera."

A Northamptonshire police spokesman said: "Two books were recovered and they are currently being held in secure circumstances as evidence."

Police said the two men had both been charged with weapons offences and with handling the stolen books.

Both were released on police bail until early next week when they will appear before magistrates in the county.

The 37-year-old man was charged with possession of an offensive weapon and with handling stolen property, police said.

The 19-year-old man was charged with theft and possession of an imitation firearm with intent to cause fear of violence.

The sixth Harry Potter novel has sparked massive interest since Rowling revealed that a major character will be killed in the book.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/06/04...rges/index.html

id love to know how the hell that bloke managed to nick it when the security is apparently so high  :blink:

He was security!!!!, so the sun said, they filmed it all aswell :lol: The story is amazing in the sun you should try and get a copy!

Edited by bigharrypotterfan

Some of us being harry potter forum mods need to read spoilers though :lol:

eh? :lol:

Seconded :P

Being a mod for a Harry Potter forum spoilers pretty much are essential to read if you want to be able to mod the forum correctly. If you don't spoil yourself then basically you can't do your job or get all upset when people post things before you read them when the book is released.

Only way to get away with no spoilers being a mod is to have the whole place no spoilers which is pretty much impossible.

Not that I agree with what this guy did but spoilers aren't that bad, especially when you can pretty much guess what is going to happen in the next book anyway. :lol:

Spoilers happen, we all know that, but if people can say that they are posting spoilers then I know I can stay clear of it. I just get another mod who dont care about it to read it to make sure its not breaking the rules. Im not the only mod here :P

I am a person who likes to read things for myself without being told first, like many people on here, and if people post spoilers without warning then to me they are selfish, exactly the same as the guy who tried to sell the book.

Davey :lol:

Edited by bigharrypotterfan

lol I wouldn't rate the two on the same level, unthoughtful and over excited online...........just plain greedy for the one trying to make money.

Most people, excluding the twit that included in their signature on a SW forum for OOTP do have some kind of warning these days which is good. I am going to have to rush reading this book though, I have a convention that weekend and have to have it read by the time I get back online as I am the only mod on another site for HP so nice and fun. Well could always get my other half to log on as me but he wouldn't know what is a spoiler and what isn't as he doesn't read the books :lol:

lol I wouldn't rate the two on the same level, unthoughtful and over excited online...........just plain greedy for the one trying to make money.

Most people, excluding the twit that included in their signature on a SW forum for OOTP do have some kind of warning these days which is good. I am going to have to rush reading this book though, I have a convention that weekend and have to have it read by the time I get back online as I am the only mod on another site for HP so nice and fun. Well could always get my other half to log on as me but he wouldn't know what is a spoiler and what isn't as he doesn't read the books :P

Well im not going to come on the HP section until I have read the book. Im not going to rush read it so I can come on here to keep an eye on whats already going to be a very very quiet section then, what with all the fans reading the book as soon as it comes out. Plus there are other mods about and they will keep an eye on to make sure no one breaks any rules.

Davey :lol:

i find the whole story in the sun absolutely hilerious!!!

it just shows how huuuge this book is!! any paper will know better than to but a stolen HP book. any other book would be ok... but not HP!!! and no one would want another book anyways.

lmao! its just.... *sigh* oh i love Harry Potter and its affect on the world!!

=x=