What now for us Star wars fans?

Darth_Owl

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm afraid if you are suggesting that Mr McCallum has "destroyed everything that is good about Star Wars" on the basis of one character alone you are not a great judge of film or narrative lore.

Besides the Jar Jar character is integral in moving the saga to the point of the Clone Wars. It is his naievety, and struggle to do the right thing that sets the war in motion.

I'm afraid if you are suggesting that Mr McCallum has "destroyed everything that is good about Star Wars" on the basis of one character alone you are not a great judge of film or narrative lore.

Besides the Jar Jar character is integral in moving the saga to the point of the Clone Wars. It is his naievety, and struggle to do the right thing that sets the war in motion.

*yawn*

And what makes your personal opinion more valuable than anyone elses?

What makes spudulators opinion more valuable than anyone elses? Who are they to say that RickMcCallum was "second in command of destroying everything that is good about Star Wars". This saga is not yet complete, I suggest reserving judgement until we can see the saga and Mr McCallum's involvement in it as a whole. And that is why my opinion is more valuable.

No, you miss the point here, Spudulator gave opinion, you insulted the ability of Spudulator to give opinion.

If you disagree, here's something, rather than insult someone, how about holding back and either speaking it out loud or just thinking it? It would surely make the world a better place if people were a little more conscientious about how they treat other people.

Or even, "In my opinion, Rick McCallum was better, I have to disagree with you." rather than launching into calling people for their beliefs.

OH WOULD YOU ALL JUST GROW UP !!! Star Wars has been hogging the collecting scene for 20 years

Thats because the Star Wars created the collecting scene. The first ever convention was a Star Wars one!

Star Wars created the collecting scene ?!?!?!?!?

STAR WARS CREATED THE COLLECTING SCENE ?!?!?!?!?

I must tell that to my granny - she collects memorabila from the first world war !! :unsure:

Let me clear things up because I must be speaking to a child, so please put your dummy back in and i'll bring you your bottle.

All theses film/Sci Fi/Whatever shows owe everything to Star Wars. Obviously, it wasnt the first ever convention or the first collectors thing, but were films are concerned, it is. The first ever film related convention was Star Wars. Collecting went mainstream becuase of Star Wars figures.

* personal insult removed by showmasters *

No, you miss the point here, Spudulator gave opinion, you insutled the ability of Spudulator to give opinion.

If you disagree, here's something, rather than insult someone, how about holding back and either speaking it out loud or just thinking it? It would surely make the world a better place if people were a little more conscientious about how they treat other people.

Or even, "In my opinion, Rick McCallum was better, I have to disagree with you." rather than launching into calling people for their beliefs.

I assume you mean insulted? Well I did no such thing, in fact I would suggest that by adding

What does that tell you?
to their comments they had insulted my opinion first, (hence why I tailed the same comment on the end of my statement), but I'm not going to get into a slanging match with you, or anyone else because that leads to being banned and thats not what I'm about.

What I was implying by saying that Spudulators opinion was minor, was that they had not given their comments a second thought, and to follow it up by saying that Jar Jar was the cause only confirms this.

As I have said before, the saga is not complete, let us not judge Mr McCallums involvement in it until it is. To say that he ruined the saga is a careless throwaway comment. Episode III may be the final missing piece of the puzzle that brings the whole thing together in ways we have not yet imagined. Be patient before making judgement.

• Showmasters Admin
Yeah, second in command of destroying everything that is good about Star Wars.

Gary may have "only" produced Star Wars and Empire, but they are the best two films of the series by a country mile. What does that tell you?

spudulator

That's your opinion, and a minor one at that. Besides from what I've heard Lucas actually sacked Gary Kurtz, hence his non involvement in Return of the Jedi, so what does that tell you?

It tells me that your knowledge of Star Wars is a bit iffy. It was generally assumed by everyone involved with Return of the Jedi that Gary would by producing again. Gary had no intention of being involved with the third movie and declined the offer to return as producer. If you are interested in the reasons behind his decision, perhaps you can ask him at C4.

For the record, Gary and George remain close friends to this day.

Kenny

As I have said before, the saga is not complete, let us not judge Mr McCallums involvement in it until it is. To say that he ruined the saga is a careless throwaway comment. Episode III may be the final missing piece of the puzzle that brings the whole thing together in ways we have not yet imagined. Be patient before making judgement.

This statement pretty much confirms my opinion of the prequels. By suggesting that Episode 3 will somehow make the first two films better, you are admitting in essence that they really weren't very good.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the prequels in a tongue-in-cheek way, but they are not Star Wars movies.

Anyway, I'm not going to waste my time qualifying my "throwaway" comments as your smug, aggressive tone does not invite a reasoned discussion.

spudulator

It tells me that your knowledge of Star Wars is a bit iffy. It was generally assumed by everyone involved with Return of the Jedi that Gary would by producing again. Gary had no intention of being involved with the third movie and declined the offer to return as producer. If you are interested in the reasons behind his decision, perhaps you can ask him at C4.

For the record, Gary and George remain close friends to this day.

Kenny

Well if you'd read it correctly you'll see that I said it was something that I heard and not that I know for sure. I confess I'm not a Star Wars fan, more of a Trek fan. This was something I was told this at a convention once, I guess I shouldn't have posted it without checking the "facts" first, but my statements about Mr McCallum reamin correct nonetheless.

This statement pretty much confirms my opinion of the prequels. By suggesting that Episode 3 will somehow make the first two films better, you are admitting in essence that they really weren't very good.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the prequels in a tongue-in-cheek way, but they are not Star Wars movies.

Anyway, I'm not going to waste my time qualifying my "throwaway" comments as your smug, aggressive tone does not invite a reasoned discussion.

spudulator

Well as you may have read by now I confess I'm not a Star Wars fan, I have seen the films and enjoyed them all equally, but I am mature enough to know that what it appears that you doing is judging a book by its chapters alone. Why not wait until you have seen the whole film/read the whole book before making your judgement?

And I find your own 'smug', 'aggressive' and frankly rude tone not capable of holding a reasoned discussion anyway.

And I find your own 'smug', 'aggressive' and frankly rude tone not capable of holding a reasoned discussion anyway.

could you qualify this please bruce?

Yes, it's a response to this comment that was levelled at me.

spudulator

could you qualify this please bruce?

Yes, it's a response to this comment that was levelled at me.

spudulator

thank you for that bruce. do you believe that spudulator has been smug or aggressive?

• Showmasters Admin

All right, I'm getting really sick of this.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and entitled to voice it. However no one opinion should be considered more valid than another and there is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for making personal or insulting comments about another poster or taking a "holier than thou" stance because they disagree with you!

There is also no excuse for belittling a guest who is unable to defend themselves on this forum, especially when the reasons given are based purely on rumours, speculation and urban myths. Mr Kurtz was co-founder of Lucasfilm Ltd and co-wrote many sections of the story and script for Star Wars: A New Hope. He oversaw all of the production of A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back and has an intimate and vast knowledge of these films. He LEFT Lucasfilm just before filming of Return of the Jedi began for personal and professional reasons, and to move on to more challenging projects. There was no animosity or ill feeling when he left Lucasfilm and he still remains good friends with Mr Lucas.

Bruce Banner: As we have said before, we have no plans to work with Lou Ferrigno in the near future. He attended Collectormania 3 last May and we try to invite new guests to each show, so I am afraid you have missed your opportunity to meet him.

Other Star Wars Fans: As we have stated repeatedly, we are trying to bring you another Star Wars guest to replace Billy Dee Williams. However I for one am becoming very SICK of posts demanding more guests and (which is worse) blaming other popular films and their fans for the lack of Star Wars guests at this particular show. The simple truth of the matter is that there has been ample opportunity to meet many, many actors from the Star Wars films at many other events, and we want to invite guests who have rarely made appearances before. In the past we have brought the likes of Temuera Morrison and Daniel Logan all the way from New Zealand to our show, and will probably be bringing other major Star Wars actors to future Collectormania shows. However this does not mean that we are OBLIGED to have Star Wars guests to every event we run!

No one is forcing anyone to go to Collectormania. If there are no guests attending that you want to see then there is nothing wrong with sitting this one out and waiting until C5, or C6. And if you cannot wait that long, well there are plenty of other shows and conventions with Star Wars guests that you can visit in the mean time!

I want this to be an end to the subject, and to the squabbling and bitching on this forum. If I see any further posts of an unpleasant or insulting tone I will be forced to lock this topic and WILL consider banning any member taking part.

Andrea

Showmasters