The new Dr Who

I've downloaded the first few minutes of the first Ecclestone episode.

I can't belive the BBC haven't reworked the theme tune! They've used the same old crackly Hartnell/Troughton era version! ARGH!

All looks a bit too modern for those of us old enough to remember the cheese and cheapness of the old series, but I shall download the whole episode and see what it's like.

I've downloaded the first few minutes of the first Ecclestone episode.

I can't belive the BBC haven't reworked the theme tune! They've used the same old crackly Hartnell/Troughton era version! ARGH!

All looks a bit too modern for those of us old enough to remember the cheese and cheapness of the old series, but I shall download the whole episode and see what it's like.

I downloaded the full episode last Monday and it isnt the finished product, it is taken from a dvd screener that was sent to a TV network in Canada to see whether they wanted to buy the series or not.

I am told the theme tune has been changed as have some of the effects so it will be interesting to see what has actually been changed.

Only another 100MB left to download on my little dial up connection.

Was quite chuffed as I downloaded 240MB last night.

But Colonel, the question is "Is it any good even without all the final special effects?"

Only another 100MB left to download on my little dial up connection.

Was quite chuffed as I downloaded 240MB last night.

But Colonel, the question is "Is it any good even without all the final special effects?"

I have never been a fan of Dr Who but I used to watch it and I have to admit that I found the first episode of the new series entertaining and will defently be watching the rest.

The theme on the download is not final. If you've seen the trailers that are playing on the beeb at the moment, that's the theme in the background. Not a great deal of difference, just "beefed" up a bit.

As a Who fan, it's very reassuring to hear so many non-Who fans saying that they like what they've seen. And that isn't even the finished product!!!

hey ive just seen the trailer i myself like as iam not a dr who fanbut im lovin it however i dont like the new sidekick she seems a bit ................unbelieveable any ho i cant wait 4 it 2 show.

lotrfreek

ps can any1 give me the background story on the dr who story. :lol::wub::P:lol::P^_^:D

Have now seen the first 30 mins and I have to say it was all a bit tiresome. Silly, cliche ridden script, characters and some laughable scenes, mainly Billie Piper's boyfriend being eaten alive by a wheelie bin before turning in to a plastic zombie, having his head ripped off, and the body running amok demolishing restaurant tables.

Ecclestone's playing the Doctor as a comedian, but he comes across as doing a bad Eric Morcombe impression without Ernie Wise to fall back on.

Having seen a full trailer on BBC1 earlier, it looks like it might improve, but Ecclestone needs to play it differently.

Maybe I just secretly prefer the old days of carboard sets and even more terrible special effects.

One thing I don't think this new series is going to be is scary. ;)

The theme tune is the same yes but with added effects to make it more contemporary. To those who have never seen 'Who' the theme tune does not sound old - Russel Davies wanted to catch the feel of classic who and this i feel they have achieved.

Ecclestone is a great doctor, i do not feel he is playing it wholly as a comic as Admiral bear said. When he turns to walk away from Rose he says 'Forget me rose tyler' and although he makes a comic wave of the plastic arm he turns and looks very serious / sad. Also when Rose intially refuses to travel with the doctor he plays / encapsulates all the sadness of the lonely time traveller that the doctor is. I fully believed that he was the 900 yrs plus age that the doctor needs to be.

There are certain moments when the doctor is played a bit goofy but then this is the first episode - let's remember slyvester mccoy in 'Time and the Rani' and Baker in 'Twin Dilemma' but both of these doctors grew into the part and it made it their own. Ecclestone will no doubt do the same imho.

Ad Bear - they are not Cybermen but Autons. The cybermen do not appear in the new series

Best

TheRobe

Ad Bear - they are not Cybermen but Autons. The cybermen do not appear in the new series

Best

TheRobe

I know they're not Cybermen! Doh! :D

I've seen a photo of the new series Cybermen, and they look like the robots from the old Smash adverts! There was a feature on my AOL browser with photos of the Doctor's new enemies.

They look like robotic monks  :wub:

Finally something David and I agree on! :P

Robe, since you seem to have the all important inside knowledge, can you confirm if the Smash robots above, Cybermen or not, are to be seen in the new series?

Edited by Admiral_Bear

No but if they were in a feature on aol then they probably are. I would expect episodes 2, 7 or 11 if i had to lay bets.

i'm not saying i'm an expert, more pointing out that if they were cybermen i expect they would have at least kept some element of the design used over the past 40 yrs. The cybermen changed yes but always had faces (of some description) as this reflected the fact that they were once human who became cybernetic. (ala the borg)

The autons and daleks in the new series are basically the same as old dr who, even down to the sound effects of their weaponry.

Davies has said that he wants to move the series on and as this season only consists of 13 episodes they want to explore as many new areas as possible. The autons are back because they haven't been used since the pertwee era - as for the daleks - well it wouldn't be 'Who' without them.And...finally... i'm going to shut up now because i'm sounding like a major major geek

:wub:

Best

TheRobe

Hey, don't knock being a geek!

Don't must of us here live in Major Geekdom, a little town on the internet superhighway, just north of J11 on the big server in the sky? :D

. . .(hums "That's where I'm gonna go when I die")

hey being a geek is better than being normal .......i have 2 ask this but i repeat this having never have watched dr who before in my life is he somesort of alien thingy cause he looks different in every picture i ve seen in all these different episodes

lotrfreek

hey being a geek is better than being normal .......i have 2 ask this but i repeat this having never have watched dr who before in my life is he somesort of alien thingy cause he looks different in every picture i ve seen in all these different episodes

lotrfreek

Ok, ok. . here goes a crash course in "Dr Who for the Uninitiated".

1. Dr Who is an alien. He is a Time Lord from the planet Galifrey.

2. Every so often during his lifetime he regenerates. A nifty idea bought about by the need to periodically change the actor who plays the character. :wub:

3. Dr Who travels through space and time in his spaceship called the TARDIS. This stands for Time And Relative Dimensions In Space. His spaceship, cunningly disguised as a 1960's Police telephone box is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside. That's where the "relative dimensions in space" thing comes from.

4. Dr Who travels to different planets in different times, usually meeting nasty aliens hell bent on planetary or universal destruction and or armageddon. Look up Daleks, Cybermen, Autons, Sea Devils and The Master amongst others. The Master was an evil Time Lord who tried to kill the Doctor.

Think that just about sums it up. Hope that was helpful.

5. Dr Who always travels with at least one companion. This is where Billie Piper comes in in the new series.