Richard Hatch .... Capt. Apollo

Dirk Benedict .... Lt. Starbuck

Maren Jensen .... Athena

Tony Swartz .... Sgt. Jolly

*high fives Chris!!*

the new bsg sucks starbuck a girl?????

leave the original alone and just re-run it prime time

you cant bet the original

:pyth: They are two differant animals, aprt from the name, it is like comparing apples and oranges. Don't forget Boomer as a girl too!

I have had this conversation in another thread too...but in short;

Yes, they may be different animals, as you put it, but it is inevitable that comparisons will be made to the original series.

If they didn't want this to happen, and for fans of the original series to watch it with an open mind and as something new, then they should have steered clear of using the same character names and called it something other than Battlestar Galactica.

:pyth: They are two differant animals, aprt from the name, it is like comparing apples and oranges. Don't forget Boomer as a girl too!

Yes, they may be different animals, as you put it, but it is inevitable that comparisons will be made to the original series.

If they didn't want this to happen, and for fans of the original series to watch it with an open mind and as something new, then they should have steered clear of using the same character names and called it something other than Battlestar Galactica.

:lol: Interesting, who says they did not want this to happen, comparison that is, there is no such thing as bad publicity.

• 2 weeks later...

:pyth: Interesting, who says they did not want this to happen, comparison that is, there is no such thing as bad publicity.

That's exactly what I said, and it's pretty obvious they are riding the coatails of the original Battlestar Galactica.

Whether you know it or not, the original series still has a huge following, and all the legal battles and bad feeling between companies, cast and fans, has only thrust this new series into the spotlight more; Fans of the original series would watch it so they can dismiss it, and general sci-fi fans will watch it to see what all the fuss is about or just because they are interested in it as a sci-fi series.

Changing characters' gender completely, was in my opinion, done solely to create controversy and again put the series into the spotlight due to the bad feeling it would cause between old and new fans alike.

Like you said, there is no such thing as bad publicity and the new series is good enough to stand alone on it's own two feet, without having to mess with the great series the original was. They should hve left well alone. :lol:

:pyth: Interesting, who says they did not want this to happen, comparison that is, there is no such thing as bad publicity.

That's exactly what I said, and it's pretty obvious they are riding the coatails of the original Battlestar Galactica.

Whether you know it or not, the original series still has a huge following, and all the legal battles and bad feeling between companies, cast and fans, has only thrust this new series into the spotlight more; Fans of the original series would watch it so they can dismiss it, and general sci-fi fans will watch it to see what all the fuss is about or just because they are interested in it as a sci-fi series.

Changing characters' gender completely, was in my opinion, done solely to create controversy and again put the series into the spotlight due to the bad feeling it would cause between old and new fans alike.

Like you said, there is no such thing as bad publicity and the new series is good enough to stand alone on it's own two feet, without having to mess with the great series the original was. They should hve left well alone. :(

:lol: fair comment

In my opinion (no actual backing to this whatsoever, but it's how I see it) they changed some character genders completely to make a more balanced main cast. Supporting cast members aside, the old series was primarily male dominated, so I always felt they changed some characters to make more of a balance.

And with regard to:

The new series would have then had attacks made over the similarities between the two. Instead of the arguments about the show we already have, it would be more like:

"What? It's so a copy of the old BSG but changing the character names and the show title"

"Excuse me? Frank is the military leader of X Actual, and his son John is the best pilot in the fleet which had to leave their planet because some machines made years ago invaded it, and are now living on an old ship which was going to be made into a museum? Talk about copying. They'd have been better remaking the old series!"

Whichever happened, there'd have been people not being pleased about it. Unless, of course, they made a totally new series unrelated to any previous shows.

I was a huge fan of the old series and loved it, but I love the new series too.

Because the series are named the same it is inevitable comparisons will be made, but that's because it was based on the original. It is a remake, so comparisons will and should be made, but people should keep an open mind. It is a new version, but different. Look at Queer as Folk UK and US. Season one of QAF-US closely follows the storyline of the UK version, almost to the 'T' in the first couple of episodes, but then it branches out into its own. After that, the storylines began evolving so much more that it has now had a much longer and more successful run than it's UK version. And aside from changing the main characters names (Stuart to Brian, Nathan to Justin, and Vince to... I forget) US originated as a carbon copy of UK.

Give the new Galactica a chance. It's first season is bound to rehash some stories as the original, but I've no doubt in season two (and hopefully beyond) that original plots will come out, and the series will break off from the original. Just like Queer as Folk.