1 Day entry and parking question

toria

Hey all, so I am RIGHT on the edge of my seat right now weather I am going to take the plunge and book tickets.

I missed the London one in 2014 and I'm still gutted to this day.

As it is on my birthday on the Saturday I am thinking as a treat I should defo go to this one :clap:

But I have 2 questions:

Has anyone looked into parking, on the DST website it doesn't say anything about paying to park but on the NEC website it says about pre booking?

If I do have to book does anyone know how far away the standard parking is as it says something about taking a shuttle?

My second question to people who have been before is, I plan on coming up Friday evening and just doing the whole of Saturday.

Currently there are only 3 guest I want to meet anyway, but how does this compare to say LFCC, will one day be enough or is this bigger or smaller than LFCC (I usually happily do LFCC in one day)

Thank you in advance :dance:

Can you say which of the 3 guests you want and what are you looking to do with them? That would help people better advise you. Is it just auto's or do you want auto's and photo's with all 3 and to attend all the talks they do on that day?

Realistically with just 3 guests you would probably be fine but if it's the 3 busiest guests you have to factor in that with a day ticket the package holders will have priority in queues over you. I'd say 3 guests should be doable though.

Can't advise on parking though as I've never been there.

Can you say which of the 3 guests you want and what are you looking to do with them? That would help people better advise you. Is it just auto's or do you want auto's and photo's with all 3 and to attend all the talks they do on that day?

Realistically with just 3 guests you would probably be fine but if it's the 3 busiest guests you have to factor in that with a day ticket the package holders will have priority in queues over you. I'd say 3 guests should be doable though.

Can't advise on parking though as I've never been there.

I want to do Photo shoots with William Shatner and Jonathan Frakes ( I AM PRAYING HE won't cancel ahhh)

And maybe a auto from Marina Sirtis (i'm more of a photo gal rather than autos)

I would also like to attend some talks as well depending on what ones will be available on Saturday.

I think you will be fine in that case. The photo shoots are as guaranteed as they can be - buy your ticket before you go so that you definitely have one and as long as you are at the shoot at the correct time you will get through. Of course bear in mind that it's not totally guaranteed - anything can happen, if the guest was running seriously behind schedule for example for some reason it might cause issues but then you make sure to speak to the crew and say you are only there for the day and they will see what they can do. It's unlikely to happen but basically, bear in mind that anything can happen but if you have a ticket, are there for the shoot in good time and everything is OK you will get through your shoots.

I'd think an auto with Marina wouldn't be a problem - as you are familiar with LFCC just make sure you go and get any VQ's for auto's you want first thing.

Number wise I think someone did comment on the attendance numbers for the last event and it was quite high. I'm not sure it was quite at LFCC Summer levels though but not low enough to say it was 'quiet'.

I think you will be fine in that case. The photo shoots are as guaranteed as they can be - buy your ticket before you go so that you definitely have one and as long as you are at the shoot at the correct time you will get through. Of course bear in mind that it's not totally guaranteed - anything can happen, if the guest was running seriously behind schedule for example for some reason it might cause issues but then you make sure to speak to the crew and say you are only there for the day and they will see what they can do. It's unlikely to happen but basically, bear in mind that anything can happen but if you have a ticket, are there for the shoot in good time and everything is OK you will get through your shoots.

I'd think an auto with Marina wouldn't be a problem - as you are familiar with LFCC just make sure you go and get any VQ's for auto's you want first thing.

Number wise I think someone did comment on the attendance numbers for the last event and it was quite high. I'm not sure it was quite at LFCC Summer levels though but not low enough to say it was 'quiet'.

Thanks for the help :thumbup:

If its a tad quieter than last years LFCC then that would be great!

I'd love to do 2 days but money wise is a bit restricting alas.

I think this would be a good bday treat so I might take the plunge this evening!

Hopefully someone will have some information regarding parking!

But I have 2 questions:

Has anyone looked into parking, on the DST website it doesn't say anything about paying to park but on the NEC website it says about pre booking?

If I do have to book does anyone know how far away the standard parking is as it says something about taking a shuttle?

I've had a look at the website - they have basically have 3 levels of regular car parking service all of which you do have to pay for:

- NEC Express £20 a day and it looks like will probably be the closest spaces to the venue

- Pre Paid Parking £12 a day, probably a little further out as it does mention the free shuttle service (both of these can be pre booked but not that DSTL doesn't currently come up as an event in October at the moment, nor can you pre book for those dates but it may be too early in the year, it may be that you can only book within a couple of months of the event)

- Standard Parking £12 pay on day only and shuttle service

As for distance https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4498348,-1.7195782,3101m/data=!3m1!1e3shows the whole NEC complex from the B4438 at the top, M42 on the right, and Bickenhill Lane on the left and bottom. If the car park on the bottom left of the 'ring' of roads surrounding the NEC, on the curve of Bickenhill Lane is the furthest NEC car park away from the entrance which I'm putting where it says Wetherspoon https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4548532,-1.7159789,462m/data=!3m1!1e3 it says it's about a 28 min walk. Hence the shuttle bus service. Scroll in and you can see they have a few car parks about the same distance out s if you were in one of those it might be advisable to find the shuttle bus stop. It's not a big deal if you are parked on the outer ring car parks, you just have to factor in maybe an extra 30 mins or so to get the shuttle to the entrance.

Does that make sense?

Edited by Raylenth
  • Like 1

But I have 2 questions:

I've had a look at the website - they have basically have 3 levels of regular car parking service all of which you do have to pay for:

-NEC Express £20 a day and it looks like will probably be the closest spaces to the venue

- Pre Paid Parking £12 a day, probably a little further out as it does mention the free shuttle service (both of these can be pre booked but not that DSTL doesn't currently come up as an event in October at the moment, nor can you pre book for those dates but it may be too early in the year, it may be that you can only book within a couple of months of the event)

- Standard Parking £12 pay on day only and shuttle service

As for distance https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4498348,-1.7195782,3101m/data=!3m1!1e3shows the whole NEC complex from the B4438 at the top, M42 on the right, and Bickenhill Lane on the left and bottom. If the car park on the bottom left of the 'ring' of roads surrounding the NEC, on the curve of Bickenhill Lane is the furthest NEC carpark away from the entrance which I'm putting where it says Wetherspoon https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4548532,-1.7159789,462m/data=!3m1!1e3 it says it's about a 28 min walk. Hence the shuttle bus service.

Does that make sense?

Thanks yeah it does, I was kind of hoping maybe they would have free parking for DST!

28 minute walk eep that is long! Yes that would explain the shuttle bus service.

Perhaps I might try the £20 option then! Luckily there seems to be plenty of parking so no rush!

Thank you for all your help :)

I've parked in the £12 areas. Spaces are no problem- there are hundreds-and I'd say about 15 minute walk. The shuttle buses run very frequently so also no issue there.

Oooh that is great news very reassuring! Thank you :thumbup:

Parking at Birmingam International Railway Station long stay car park is cheaper. £6 per day on Saturdays and Sundays, £9 on Fridays. It is attached to the NEC but may be a longer walk depending on which halls we are using.

I parked in the railway station on my first visit, walk isn't too far if you don't get lost like I did, I pay the little extra to park in the NEC now though as they have disabled parking right near the main entrance which is better if it's cold or wet.

Parking at Birmingam International Railway Station long stay car park is cheaper. £6 per day on Saturdays and Sundays, £9 on Fridays. It is attached to the NEC but may be a longer walk depending on which halls we are using.

Oooh thanks :D I will look into that!