My Saturday

Well my Saturday was pretty god dang awesome! Rocked up to Olympia for 7am to find a quite substantial queue waiting to get in. The venue staff did a great job budging everyone up but the queue still ended up going back past the train station & curling back up to Hammersmith Road, thankfully the weather held. The doors were opened at 9am & from where I was stood, just around the corner from Pizza Express, it took about 10 minutes to get in. Not too bad at all.

I wasn't after any of the big named guest (would have loved to do a few Diamond guests but just couldn't justify it at present) or photo shoots so I went straight for John Ratzenberger. We queued for a while but it was worth it, he is a great guest to meet & chatted with everyone. Quick mention of the young lady, Connie, manning his payment desk, very friendly, very helpful, kept us all amused & I only made her blush once 😶

Erik Bauersfeld was simply amazing to meet. I am so happy I decided on getting his autograph. Just wish the area had been a little quieter as he had a lot to say but I couldn't catch it all because of the background noise. Erik's agent/family member was great at making sure everyone got exactly what they wanted. The lady crewing Erik's desk was also fantastic in helping everyone.

Meeting John Morton was a very pleasant surprise. You never know how a guest will be when you meet them but John's enthusiasm for being there blew me away. We got to have a little chat & he seemed genuinely interested in our conversation. You might see a running trend here but yet again the lady crewing John's table was fantastic & just as enthusiastic as John.

My last guest to meet was David Barclay. Another interesting & engaging guest. He looked genuinely happy to be at the show.

It's always great to see Dave Prowse & Kenny Baker at these things & I think the interest in meeting them took the crew by surprise (maybe VQ's next time?). Both Dave & Kenny have autographed loads for me over the years & I was going to get one more by Kenny but I just missed him before his photo shoot & lunch. The crew & pit boss did another great job keeping the queue informed about Kenny's schedule, unfortunately I had to leave before Kenny returned. I'm already looking forward to seeing him at the next show.

The whole place was packed & while having a bite to eat at Pizza Express I was a little amazed to still see people queuing to get in...where did they all fit?!

Best find of the day goes to the Scottish home made fudge stall. Are they at every SM event? I'm thinking of making their Rum & Raisin my show staple.

There are always lots of different accents but I was surprised by the amount of American/Canadian ones. But the biggest surprise of the day was being in a lift with Kristian Nairn, man is he big? I think the quote is "Giants blood in that one".

Boy was it warm? Even I got a little whiffy but I was nothing compared to some people. Even wild animals will clean themselves. I can't think of one good reason for poor hygiene in a developed country. Sorry if that upsets some people but if I'm forced to smell your BO I'm entitled to an opinion.

Cos Play ain't my thing. I appreciate the hard work that people go to & some creations do look amazing. But surely the etiquette should be if you are wearing a costume that has "sticky out bits" then you are responsible for those bits. I got clouted by a sword carried by a female pirate while I was stood still. I turned expecting an apology & I got told to watch where I was going, go figure.

Lastly the day could have started a little better. While waiting to get in I overheard on crew member swearing loudly about an altercation she had had. I realise that a situation a can get stressful, although I suspect she did it for effect, but swearing in front of young children is not cool honey, not cool at all.

So that was my brief LFCC. Great show, great organisation, great crew (except one), great guests, great weather, great day.

Thanks SM for all you do.

Was a great day, all be it a bit shambolic around the photoshoots and stairways etc! Just managed to get into the photoshoot with michael gambon in time. Also met Garrett Wang who was a really nice guy, who took the time to really talk to people not just herd them through like cattle. Damn hot in there though!!