R.I.P Ricard Kiel

Hustler

Richard Kiel, the towering actor best known for portraying steel-toothed villain Jaws in a pair of James Bond films, has died. He was 74.

Kelley Sanchez, director of communications at St Agnes Medical Centre in Fresno, California, confirmed that Kiel was a patient at the hospital and had died.

The 7ft 2in performer famously played the cable-chomping henchman who tussled with Roger Moore's Bond in The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker.

His massive height was attributed to a hormonal condition called acromegaly.

Kiel's other memorable film and TV appearances included roles as towering boss Mr Larson in Happy Gilmore, lethal assistant Voltaire in The Wild, Wild West and extraterrestrial Kanamit in The Twilight Zone.

He published an autobiography in 2002 titled Making It Big in the Movies

I met him a few years back and he was a lovely man. He told me a fascinating story about Robert Vaughn and the JFK assassination and signed his autobiography for me. It's a great read by the way, highly recommended. Best Bond Villain ever? Best Henchman ever? Best bad guy ever? I think so. Rest in Peace Mr. Kiel, it was a pleasure.

• Like 1

Very sad to read this today. We've lost one of the most iconic characters of the James Bond series. He was VERY good with fans too. I debated whether to see him at Collectormania 18 back in 2012 as I'd already overspent but I'm so glad I did finally meet him.