Cursed Movies

GoldenGreen

Often a Horror production seems to be cursed with strange events going on whilst filming or actors passing away post film at far too young ages, but surely it must only be a coincedence, or is there more at work here ?

A couple that often get a mention are:

Poltergeist

Mainly new to the very sad early death of Heather O'Rourke at 12 who played Carol Anne, but also the equally sad death of Dominque Dunne who played the role of her older sister in the film at just 22.

The Omen

I think there is a separate documentary on this called "The Curse of the Omen" which was on TV a few years back, and outlined some of the strange events, which from memory included Gregory Peck's plane being hit by lightning as he was travelling to the U.K. for filming and the sad death of his son just before filming began.

There was something on once about The Exorcist I believe.

I felt that one of my films was cursed. I started shooting October 31st:It's My Party on Friday November 13th 2009. It was an outdoor shoot, at night, in the woods. And it went seamlessly.

But then the catalogue of disasters began. We had an 'actor' who thought he only had to shoot a take one time for it to be good enough, (he was fired, delaying the production as we recast and had to reshoot his scenes), it was minus 8 cold, it rained heavily, it snowed, our lights exploded, our camera was perfectly fine until we got to set then stopped working, but upon getting it home it started again, we had a strange guy just stood there in the woods watching us - which worried our female cast, part of our set was burnt down once we left the location (nothing to do with us), and to top it all a gang of literally brain dead chavs attacked us during filming, causing us to abandon the shoot and relocate the entire film.

Despite all that, it's one of my favourite of my own no budget films!

• Like 2

There was something on once about The Exorcist I believe.

I felt that one of my films was cursed. I started shooting October 31st:It's My Party on Friday November 13th 2009. It was an outdoor shoot, at night, in the woods. And it went seamlessly.

But then the catalogue of disasters began. We had an 'actor' who thought he only had to shoot a take one time for it to be good enough, (he was fired, delaying the production as we recast and had to reshoot his scenes), it was minus 8 cold, it rained heavily, it snowed, our lights exploded, our camera was perfectly fine until we got to set then stopped working, but upon getting it home it started again, we had a strange guy just stood there in the woods watching us - which worried our female cast, part of our set was burnt down once we left the location (nothing to do with us), and to top it all a gang of literally brain dead chavs attacked us during filming, causing us to abandon the shoot and relocate the entire film.

Despite all that, it's one of my favourite of my own no budget films!

Any of your films anywhere online to watch?

They are, but my website is in a bit of a mess at the moment. Needs a radical update. I'm hoping to have a word with my webmaster tonight, so fingers crossed!

These films were made when we had very little crew or budget. One I shot completely by myself (October 31st: Alone). What is supposed to be happening is that the 'no budget' films are going to be moved into a Phase One section, to mark a distinction that we are now moving on and up.

We are currently shooting the Star Wars fan documentary BINDING THE GALAXY TOGETHER, but I'm going to take a break around Easter to shoot a brand new (written in 2006!), horror short, that I know you will all love.

So, yeah, please excuse the mess. You might need to use Google Chrome or a fast browser to view some of the films.

You can see them at www.mancinipictures.com

• Like 2

Actually. I'll tell you a little story associated with The Omen curse.

Back in 1981, at the end of summer, ITV began to trail their upcoming Autumn season. Among those films were the first TV screenings for Jaws, and The Omen.

Now I remembered seeing the poster of The Omen at my local Odeon back in 1976 and wondered what it was all about, obviously being too young to see the film at the time. And in 1981 I had bought the book by David Seltzer, so I was really looking forward to seeing the film.

Then in August 1981, I was accidentally bitten on the face by our family dog, and had to go into hospital to get a skin graft above my right eye. I was in hospital some time recovering, and was released the night that The Omen was broadcast. (We didn't have a VCR then, so I couldn't record it).

I was still pretty weak (I'd lost a lot of blood), and was tired, so dozed in and out of that first screening. I do remember waking up at one point though when the Doberman/Rottweiler dogs attack Gregory Peck and David Warner in the cemetery, which brought the memory of the dog bite back to me.

For years I felt that my wanting to see the film was connected to my accident.

Edited for typos

Edited by Indiana