Horror Books

GoldenGreen

This is a thread to talk about your favourite Horror books, which could be novels or books about the genre, movies etc

I first started reading Horror books when around 12/13 I guess and worked my way through books from authors like Dean Koontz, James Herbert and Stephen King. One of my favourites back then was "Christine" from Stephen King, maybe something do do with the fact I was learning to drive at the time. I think my favourite overall going back to those days was "IT" by Stephen King, although I was disappointed in the movie , although still was very pleased to meet Tim Curry a few years ago when he was in Spamalot and get him to sign a "Pennywise" 10x8.

I'm also a big fan of the various and sometimes lavish books produced on the Hammer Horror Movies by authors like Marcus Hearn and Wayne Kinsey and have been fortunate to get them and many of the actors from the movies to sign them. I have a particularly nice leather bound version of the Hammer Story with around 30 signatures in. I recently purchased Marcus' book on Hammer Artwork.

Do you have a particular favourite book or an author ?

Stephen King was the first horror author I read, Eyes of the Dragon was my first of his, though that was more fantasy. Remember reading Green Mile of his when he was writing it in parts as well and getting really frustrated when I got up to date with how far he'd published as I had to wait for the last part. Still haven't read, It, but managed The Stand. I read Max Brooks' World War Z for the first time a few months back and was really impressed with that. Am I allowed to mention I've published a horror novel or will I be in violation of the terms and conditions of the forum.

One of my favourite authors at the moment is Joe Hill. He is a fantastic writer, great at creating atmospheric, gripping tales.

I started with the book Heart Shaped Box, which is about an ageing rock star, (who I pictured as looking somewhat like Rob Zombie!), who collects items of the occult. His assistant draws his attention to an Internet auction whereby a woman is attempting to sell a ghost. This is not as corny as it sounds. I'll not say any more, but this is very well written, the story is really engaging, creepy, and it would easily make a great movie,

Which is exactly what is happening with the next title that I read, Horns. This is due for release early next year, I believe, and will star Daniel Radcliffe as Ig Perrish, who one day awakens to find that he has started to grow a pair of devil horns. Again, not as corny as it sounds, as Ig finds that when he is around people they are compelled to tell him the absolute truth, a lot of which is how they feel about him, as he was recently suspected of the murder of his girlfriend. I'm really looking forward to the film version.

Joe has recently released another book, NOS4A2, whichbibhave not bought yet, as I'm waiting for the paperback version. But no doubt this will be another great read.

By the way, did I mention that Joe is Stephen King's son?

One of my favourite authors at the moment is Joe Hill. He is a fantastic writer, great at creating atmospheric, gripping tales.

I started with the book Heart Shaped Box, which is about an ageing rock star, (who I pictured as looking somewhat like Rob Zombie!), who collects items of the occult. His assistant draws his attention to an Internet auction whereby a woman is attempting to sell a ghost. This is not as corny as it sounds. I'll not say any more, but this is very well written, the story is really engaging, creepy, and it would easily make a great movie,

Which is exactly what is happening with the next title that I read, Horns. This is due for release early next year, I believe, and will star Daniel Radcliffe as Ig Perrish, who one day awakens to find that he has started to grow a pair of devil horns. Again, not as corny as it sounds, as Ig finds that when he is around people they are compelled to tell him the absolute truth, a lot of which is how they feel about him, as he was recently suspected of the murder of his girlfriend. I'm really looking forward to the film version.

Joe has recently released another book, NOS4A2, whichbibhave not bought yet, as I'm waiting for the paperback version. But no doubt this will be another great read.

By the way, did I mention that Joe is Stephen King's son? Completely forgot I read NOS482. It is actually a very good read, though quite flawed. You can tell his writing is very inspired by his father but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Some of the imagery in it is very good and quite creepy. Its around six hundred pages but it only seems to drag in the middle. I would def like to read more of Joe Hil

Completely forgot I read NOS482. It is actually a very good read, though quite flawed. You can tell his writing is very inspired by his father but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Some of the imagery in it is very good and quite creepy. Its around six hundred pages but it only seems to drag in the middle. I would def like to read more of Joe Hil

Edited by smcelhenny

• 2 weeks later...

Well Horns will be released as a film soon starring Daniel Radcliffe, so I'd start with that first if you want the original story. I've heard Heart Shaped Box is going to be filmed too. HSB was my favourite of those two. Will try NOS482 after Dr Sleep.