Horror Blu Rays

GoldenGreen

I've only just gone and got myself a Blu Ray player, so I know many of already have a great collection of Horror Blu Rays, but any that you can particularly recommend.

I bought my first one just this week, the Wicker Man final cut and got it signed by Robin Hardy.

I'd highly recommend John Carpenter's The Thing. Even if you owned the DVD, the Blu Ray quality is superb. I would also suggest the Universal Horror Collection with the original Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy etc on it. The restoration work on them is incredible

• Like 1

I grabbed the coffin set as soon as it came out as I knew it'd shoot up in price in no time. A fantastic box it is as well.

Another one i've just ordered is In The Mouth Of Madness. It was released this week in America, but I have read that it is region free. It'll be a great upgrade from the only region free DVD I could find that was Korean and not Anamorphic Widescreen. Can't wait to get it in, it's one of those films for me that is perfect at Halloween. As I don't have a region free Blu Ray player, it's kind of frustrating me that a lot of the Shout factory American releases are region locked like The Fog Special Edition, Halloween 2 & 3, Psycho 2 & 3, Prince of Darkness. I'd love all of those to be released over here

Edited by JacknDaniel

I grabbed the coffin set as soon as it came out as I knew it'd shoot up in price in no time. A fantastic box it is as well.

Looks like it is going for just under £80 on Amazon at the moment, compared to £24.50 for the standard edition. Still, the standard edition looks like it has some pretty good stuff, what it the 3D version of the Creature From the Black Lagoon like ?

John Carpenter's Halloween (of course!) looks amazing in blu. One thing in particular that I noticed is that when The Shape is stood outside of Laurie's school you can now see the detailing on his mask clearly.

I didn't bother with the coffin shaped Universal set as these odd shaped boxes are a pain to store on a shelf. That aside it is an amazing set, with loads of great extras too. Highly recommended.

Dead Snow - while not a great film, looks amazing in the snow scenes. It's very clear. Great cinematography.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up 3 Horror Blu Rays today in HMV in the 3 for £20 deal, so fingers crossed they are good.

I got American Werewolf in London, Poltergeist and The Fog.

I also picked up Urban Legend on Blu Ray (I know, it's not that great, but it was reduced to £3.99)

I also picked up the Alien Anthology on Blu Ray as well the other day in Sainsburys for £10, which I thought was a great price.

I also picked up the Hammer 1958 Dracula Blu Ray at the BFI store which was on offer the other day after I went to see it.

What are the Arrow Horror releases that I have seen some fans talking about, are they Region 1 ?